Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 16th, 2009, 09:04 PM

Overweight Cat

I need some advice from the wonderful people on pets.ca.

Our cat Charlie is quite overweight. We adopted him a year ago from the Toronto Humane Society. He weighed 11.5 kg (approx 25 lbs). We've been feeding him Hill's Vet diet food for the last year (switched to Royal Canin diet food in the last 2 months). He had his annual check-up today and he's lost close to 5 lbs. I didn't think this was a lot but the vet said we were on the right track.

So I was browsing some of the topics on the boards today and found some interesting posts about dry cat food and how bad it is for cats. I had never heard this before and had been led to believe that wet food is bad! Anyway, now I'm considering switching (slowly) to wet food - shouldn't be a problem because Charlie has NEVER been a picky eater...clearly!

My question is this: is there a wet food that is okay to feed to an overweight cat? I've never seen diet wet food - but is it better anyway because it has fewer carbs than dry food? I checked out catinfo.org but couldn't seem to find any answers about this.

Also, if anyone has any tips in general for helping Charlie to lose weight, that would be great! He's very inactive and refuses to play...he likes the laser pointer but won't get up to chase it, will just paw at it if it comes close enough.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!