Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 9th, 2004, 08:52 PM

Cat Dandruff?

Once again I have a question regarding my cat yohsi( the stray I took in a while back) I have gotten rid of the fleas I think anyway, when I checked her she had none and I have treated her twice, so when I was brushing her a while ago I noticed alot of dry skin coming off her, maybe that is why she is still scratching a bit. My question is, is there something I can give her in her food or on her skin to relieve this? I was thinking of taking a vitamin e capsule and putting it in her food, but I am not sure if this is ok for a cat, so I was hoping to get some advice from someone here. It seems that whenever I have a pet question everyone here is so helpful and I dont want to try anything that could hurt her in any way. BTW, both cats have been on rescue remedy for close to a week now and it doesnt seem to be helping yet, I will keep on giving it to them though until the bottle is finished, if it doesnt help I guess the two will have to tolerate each other, they dont fight, just growl, scream and hiss, sometimes it sounds like one of them is getting their butt kicked, but they are both too afraid of each other to get too close.This is a good thing. Im so glad I took this little darling in, she is so sweet and loves me to death, follows me all over the house, sleeps with me and loves to lay on me and make bread (kneading) but I am the only one she has seem to taken to, maybe cause she knows I'm her new mommy now, anyway enough babbling from me... I guess she has stolen my heart, she is laying on my lap purring as I type this with her big eyes staring up at me ahhhhhh :love:
Old December 10th, 2004, 11:58 AM

What brand of food are you feeding her? Dandruff is related to diet usually.
Old December 10th, 2004, 01:06 PM

I have her on Wellness Super 5 mix for adult cats, I was told this is an excellent food, I hope it is.
Old December 10th, 2004, 03:01 PM
~Cat Servent~

Wellness is a great food...too good in fact. My oldest had trouble digesting it, so I had to go back to Nutro.

Anyhow...about the dry skin, cats seem to get it in the winter just like we do, every year. There are a few things you can do to help. I have 4 and they all get it, especially because where we live is electric heat (very drying). What I have found is working the best is to have a couple fountains, I have a drinking one for the cats in the living room (CAT-IT) and one in my bedroom (homemade), they perform double duty, always a cold fresh water source for the kitties and they put ample moisture into the air. There are even misting fountains now that are specifically for that purpose, a decorative humidifier of sorts. You can buy the pumps/misters seperate and just use a glass bowl that you have on hand to save money as some of the fountains are kinda pricy (although I know ebay has tons at reasonable prices).

Also you can add olive oil (I used extra virgin) to their wet or dry food, this has worked great for my mom who has a maine coon.

Hope that was helpful!

Oh and about your hissy growling duo, I have the same thing here, just be real patient. My vet said it can take up to six months before they even learn to TOLERATE each other... and in some instances they may never be affectionate with each other, only co-exist. My second oldest is still mad at all of us, even me sometimes, I just make sure to have private time with all of them, especially her to reassure her that she is still going to get lots of attention from me no matter how many other kitties are around. Anyhow good luck to ya and enjoy your Christmas!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old December 10th, 2004, 03:26 PM

Thank you for the advice, I saw one of those fountains at the pet store where I buy my food, I havent priced it yet. I will try the olive oil though. My cat Pepper is a maine coon and she doesnt seem to have the dandruff, only Yoshi. Since I have put Pepper on this food her coat is gorgeous and shiny, she is all black and I brush her every other day, she loves it! Yoshi was a stray all summer long so maybe it will take some more time for this food to help her coat, Pepper has been on it for about 5 months now, Yoshi has only been with us for about a month now, but I will try the olive oil in her wet food. As for the two of them not liking each other, I guess as long as there is no bloodshed thats all I can ask for, for now, I hope eventually they will stop the screaming at each other, especially in the morning when Pepper comes into the bed and Yoshi is sleeping with me, let me tell you, that is not the most pleasent way to wake up in the morning with these two screaming in your face!!! Heres a pic of pepper, I think she is a maine coon.
Attached Images

Old December 12th, 2004, 03:35 AM
~Cat Servent~

LMAO....I sooooo know what you mean! Here it is late at night... just when I am trying to get to bed! They run up and down the hall hissing and growling and screamin at each other! (I'm just waiting to get a noise complaint or something...)
And Pepper is so well named...almost looks the exact colour of pepper in that pic! Cutie... :love:

This is my mom's that we figure is Maine Coon...her name is Cordelia.
Attached Images

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M