Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:16 PM

Housebreaking problem?

Hi all,

I am trying to understand if this is normal or not. Charlie will be 4 months old on the 26th and he still has daily "accidents" inside the house. Here is our routine:

6:00 am: get up and taking him out of his crate and take him outside
6:20: breakfast
7:00: outside for pee or poo
7:15: I leave for work and he stays in our large laundry room with his crate (door open), toys, bowl of water and some newspapers in a corner to do his business on
5:30 pm: come home from work, take him outside right away
5:45: he eats supper and I then take him outside every hour in the evening. I also walk him around our block every morning and most nights and we play in the yard too.

We pretty much have the morning time down path but he manages to have at least 1 accident per day inside the house. Is it normal for a 4 months old puppy? I take him to socialization every Tuesday nights and some people tell me their puppies were house trained in like a week... What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:32 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Some pups seem to be trained in a week while others can take full year to be trustworthy.

Does the accident always happen at about the same time of day or in the same place? He might need to go out more often at that time of day.

Do you catch him in the act? What do you do? He needs to learn that you don't want him to soil the house but you love to see him soil outside. The best way to do that is to watch him like a hawk and when he looks like he is about to soil or is actuallly starting to soil you give a hand clap or foot stomp and say 'NO' in a firm, sharp tone. When he looks up at you get happy and invite him out. Go out with him and say 'go potty' in a happy tone and stick with him until he soils and then have a potty party. Give it a word like "good potty" so he is clear on what you are so happy about.

Time, patience and persistence are what win. If he makes the occasional mistake just step up your structure. But daily mistakes mean that you are missing something.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old October 22nd, 2009, 09:23 PM
Senior Contributor

It certainly is more difficult if you can't be home every day, all day, with your new puppy while you are house-training. Our Bailey was housetrained in a week as well, but I took that first week off work and would put her outside at every twenty minute intervals and I monitored her 24/7. Whenever I could not watch her, she was in her crate. She literally just didn't have a chance to 'go' inside our house.

If you're ever going to be distracted, or unable to put your attention fully on your puppy - put him in his crate, or put him on his leash and keep him physically with you, so you'll be more aware of his movements.

At four months old, your puppy is still learning, but just because YOU walk into your washroom doesn't mean you have to go right? Same with the puppy. Being outside in your yard doesn't neccesarily mean anything to him at this point.

You mentioned your puppy is also newspaper trained. This could be part of your problem. Newspaper or puppy pads are essentially a really great way to train your puppy to go to the bathroom in your home instead of outside. He may believe that it's totally appropriate and normal for him to go to the bathroom inside the house, because that is what he does all day.

Is it possible for you to crate him entirely instead of putting him in a 'room' and hire a dog walker to come and pick up your puppy for little breaks through the day?

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 22nd, 2009, 09:24 PM
Live well, laugh often

Yes, leaving a four month old puppy for ten hours and not expecting any mess is very unrealistic. At most (other then sleeping at night) you should only leave him for 4-5 hours at this age. Is there any way you can arrange for a dog walker or someone to come in half way through the day for a quick pee & play break for at least the next few months?

Also, what is your reaction to finding the mess? Make sure to not make a big deal of it and quietly clean it up with some enzyme product (nature's miracle etc.) to help remove the scent.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 09:54 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
Yes, leaving a four month old puppy for ten hours and not expecting any mess is very unrealistic. At most (other then sleeping at night) you should only leave him for 4-5 hours at this age.
I agree. At four months of age, your puppy needs to be taken out more frequently during the day. Their bladders are too small and their sphincter muscles aren't mature enough yet to hold in pee for that length of time.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:08 PM
You can call me DOG!

I don't thing your doing anything wrong. 8 months is the magic number/month!

It sounds like you're doing everything right but just give him a little time!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:30 PM

I am sorry but there is no magic number - just like every child is an individual so is every dog.

This is a work in progress and you will make the most progress by being consistent and clear in your teaching. Your puppy will succeed more and fail less as he learns and matures.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 06:52 AM

I only put the newspapers in his room during the day while I am out so he has a place to do his thing. As soon as I get home, I clean everything up and there is no newspapers in the evening when we are at home. Could part of the problem be that he is doesn't know how to ask to go outside? Some people say their dog will sit by the door or something like that. Charlie doesn't do that, once he has to go, he goes.

I do try to watch him like a hawk and as soon as I see him sniffing in one area (which seems to be beside the coffee table), I take him outside. He does tend to always have his accidents in the same spot, this makes it easier for me to watch him.

If I catch him in the act, I normally don't say anything as I was told it was too late to do anything once he had already started. I don't yell or run after him. I just pick up and clean. But when I take him outside and he does his thing, we do have a party!

He is doing much better than before, I have seen some improvement since last month, but it seems to be progressing very slowly. There are some very good suggestions in your replies, I will try them. If you can think of anything else, let me know.

Thanks again.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 10:23 AM

The connection between his bladder and his brain could be slow in alerting him to his needs.

We are firm believers is letting him know when he made a bad choice but you have to let him know what a good choice is too. One is naturally followed by the other so he has a prayer of figuring out what you want. If he soiled the floor and you dont' say anything then he thinks "oh, they didn't seem to mind me doing that, and boy it sure feels good to relieve myself so I guess under the coffee table works for everyone! :>"

It's only too late if he has walked away from the spot he messed - then he thinks you are mad at him for walking away from it but doesn't take responsibility for doing it. Dogs are very pure in the moment. You have to let him know the message is "no soiling in the house!, we love to see you soil outside".

Oh, and a correction doesn't mean you have to yell or chase after him. It could be a word or body movement that catches his attention and stops the act.