Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old April 1st, 2008, 05:28 AM

Husband dragging feet - agreed to 8 month trial :)

When another poster posted about obstacles I thought they were talking about their significant other! My husband just doesn't get it, at all. He thinks it's gross that I am feeding our 4 month old lab/shep/husky a raw turkey wing or neck each morning(for the last 3 mornings) and insists on her getting dog food as well later in the day for 'balance'. He often makes joking comments about the raw turning her into a 'wild beast' but I know this man(we've been together for 10 years and have two children together) and often his jokes mean something is bugging him.

It's hard enough doing something so different - the looks I get when I say I am giving raw poultry to my puppy bone and all are always interesting and irritating. I always preface with the fact I have been doing tons of reading but most people still just don't get it and probably think I am being cruel to feed my dog such a 'dangerous thing'. I've seen Susie gag on kibble but all I see when she is eating her turkey is pure enjoyment.

Anyway I finally put it to him last night - when he commented on me reducing Susie's dry dog food to take the RMB in the am into account "But now she's not getting a balanced diet.". I said "Let me feed her half raw and half dry and at her 1 year vet appointment we will get her a total doggy physical and have blood work done and everything. I'm willing to bet she will be the healthiest one year old dog the vet has ever seen!" He agreed and is also willing to give some money towards the raw food as well, so I will have to be happy with that. I am trying not to talk about raw feeding to him as he really doesn't want to talk about it but I would like it if he stopped with the 'jokes'.

Anyway so far so good at day 3 for Susie, I even got a picture of her eating her turkey wing this morning:
Old April 1st, 2008, 09:06 AM
Getting defensive

Hi Cass.

Lovely pic of Susie ! She's totally enjoying her wing.

Pugsley Bo
Butterscotch
Burbel Grey
Old April 1st, 2008, 08:56 PM

Cass- The thing that I found thta was so helpful was all the reading and researching I did before we decided to go raw, so that when I was ever faced with doubts or questions from others, I knew exactly how to respond to it. Even my fiance, who is a huge skeptic (and proud of it) with everything, swears by raw. I have seen such good results with feeding my dogs raw, espcially when I compare similiar breeds' health to my dogs. When I get into discussions as to why I feed raw with non raw feeders, we usually end the conversation with them intrigued with the idea of raw, again, only becuase I read so much about it. So every argument they put forward about how its "not good for them", I counter back with an excellent point and they dont have anything to go on becuase they are only saying what they have been taught most of their dog owning life of "feeding your dog kibble for balance....blah blah blah..."
Im hoping you win some money from your husband when you visit your vet. Good luck!

"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." ~Winston Churchill