Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 12th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Winston, hard to say if the Recovery was working for Halo or not as I was using it strictly as a preventative drug. She's 11 now and I figure only a matter of time until she starts to ache from arthritis as well. I stopped using the powder when the bottle ran out and haven't bought the pills yet. They sell them at our pet store though. I have been too involved in Shadow's issues to worry so much about Halo's non-issue at this time sadly. No excuse. I do want to put her back on it though. It didn't hurt her, or give her the runs or anything, she just didn't eat as well when it was on her food.

I use liquid kaopectate when Shadow gets the runs and use a syringe to get it into her mouth also. She won't even look at pumpkin.

And yes, this is the roller coaster ride from hell. Every day I ask myself if she's doing better or am I imagining it? Is she doing worse or am I imagining it? Constantly wondering if it's fair to her, are there more good times than bad? Is she still happy to be with us?? But at least when the time comes I will know that I did all I could for her, as will you with your sweet boy.
Old September 12th, 2011, 12:26 PM

Sending prayers for Winston. Remembering how hard this time can be. Know that Winston, Shadow and so many others have us pulling for them and offering prayers and good vibes. Hope today will be a good one.
Old September 12th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Thank you Scottiedog!

DD I hope the chewables work as effective as the powder for the Recovery product.

Today Sylvie gave me a can of green new zealand lamb tripe to see if Winston would eat it. Sure enough I scooped out 1 cup of kibble and mixed it and he ate the whole amount. He actually wanted more. I waited about an hour and gave him some more with another cup of kibble. He nibbled on the tripe and then walked away??

DH was home with Winston today and he slept most of the day away which is fine by me....except he is very stiff tonight and his backend is slouched down quite a bit. So I have given him another dose of metacam tonight with just the tripe and he gobbled it up!!

At this point I am not going to worry if I should have given him another dose so soon because I am sure he needs it.

Oh and he had a firm poop tonight! maybe the bread and potatoes finally worked??

Sylvie I cant thank you enough for being my rock and helping out our boy!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston, I gave Shadow a second dose of metacam some days too when I thought she needed it. At this point I don't think it matters. I'm glad that Winston decided to eat the tripe. Will have to keep that in mind, or maybe in the cupboard!

I hope he's feeling a bit better tomorrow. I know DH sometimes gets mad at me when I make Shadow go for walks at night, but I remind him that it's important to keep her muscles moving. I don't make her do long walks, just short and slow, but moving is so important.

Ah, Shadow just pooped in the living room while I was typing here. Joy! Well at least she doesn't have the runs anymore
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:54 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Aw, DD Sorry about the poopin' But yay for it being solid!

for both Shadows and Winston!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 13th, 2011, 11:54 AM

Oh good idea with the Tripett! I have always found with animals that won't eat and I find something that they will gobble that they will stay interested for longer if you don't allow them their fill. Keep them wanting more. I don't mean starve them, but in the long run you will get more in.
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old September 14th, 2011, 02:00 AM
Live well, laugh often

I am so sorry to hear about Winston .

I remember the days (months) of cooking for Lucy. She would be fine eating something for a day or so and then turn up her nose and refuse to eat it. I would mix a protein and a carb and rotate them through (chicken & pasta, steak & rice, eggs & oatmeal .... switch and mix etc). There were days that she only wanted McDonalds plain hamburgers or cheeseburgers. Something about those would often get her to eat even when most other stuff wouldn't.

I would also ask your vet about Tramadol. It is a straight pain med and has minimal side effects. Meticam/Previcox etc are all NSAIDs and can therefore easily upset tummies. Lucy was on tramadol 3x per day for the last few months and it made her much more comfortable.

Old September 14th, 2011, 08:49 AM

i just want to say that i love this quote:

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. "

it also makes me remember every mistake i made with my dog and feel like a terrible owner at the same time though.

/rant

hope things are still going well for your doggy , sounds like things have been improving.

Old September 14th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Thank you Kingdano I love that quote too! It speaks volumes about our relationship with our beloved pets.

I love Winston enough that we have decided to let him go!

We will be enjoying every moment we have left with him. He will receive his wings on Thursday

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown

Last edited by Winston; September 15th, 2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old September 14th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Senior Contributor

just wanted to send you hugs......I'll be asking Daisy (my late soul doggie) to meet Winston at the bridge and show him the ropes, I know they'll both be waiting and watching for us when its our time to join them again.
Old September 14th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Thank you Melinda...I hope Winston meets your beloved Daisy and my precious boy Bomber! and all the others that we have lost that are so precious!

I just cant stop crying and I am at work. I think I am going to head home and spend some time with my boy.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old September 14th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Winston, I am SO sorry for both you and Winston
Know that we're all thinking of you. Big hugs to you, and gentle hugs to your boy

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 14th, 2011, 09:30 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm so sorry, Cindy It's a great gift we give them in return for all they give, but such a price for us. Sending you all the strength I can spare for the next few days and wishing Winston a swift and gentle passage. Stay strong, my friend, and know that our thoughts and prayers are with you.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 14th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Senior Contributor

we'll all be here for you if you need our shoulders or if you just want to know you aren't alone in your grief...we're with you.
Old September 14th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Aw Winston, just read this. My heart is breaking and like you I am sitting at work crying now. I share your grief with all my heart. Going through this at the same time as you is like losing our beloved pets twice over it seems to me. I feel like you losing Winston is just like losing Shadow we've shared so many stories lately. I think you should take today and spend quality cuddle time with your boy. You will never regret that. Winston has had just the best life with you, he will watch over you always and wait for you when your time comes. You will be together again, along with your other lost beloved pets. Hugs to you and Winston both. Stay strong, he needs you now.

Last edited by Dog Dancer; September 14th, 2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old September 14th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Chum Mum

I am so sorry the time has come...but your love for Winston has let you know it is the right decision...we have all been there and understand and feel your pain...go and make Winstons final day just as special as you can...know that he loves you, and he knows you love him right to the end....I am sure there is a crowd waiting to greet him at the Rainbow Bridge....: ..from Chum and I....stay strong
R.I.P. Boog,Pootie, Bud & Tarkha
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I look into your soft brown eyes,
Where love and loyal homage shine,
And wonder where the difference lies
Between your soul and mine!
Old September 14th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Thank you I am home with my boy!

DD hugs to your girl for me
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old September 14th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Senior Contributor

I am so very very sorry.

My thoughts and prayers are with you all.
I wish you strength and peace.

Thank goodness for people like you that will be there in the end as he will be surrounded by love and such devotion.

Old September 14th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Half Way To Crazy

our thoughts and prayers are with you and Winston

Old September 14th, 2011, 11:11 AM

This is the hardest decision to make, but truly the final gift of love you can give. I'll be sending you love and strength and prayers that this will be a peaceful and gentle journey for Winston. My Mac and Tipper will also be waiting on the other side to greet. I am so sorry.

Old September 14th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Benmax you can be sure that mine and DH face, kisses and love will be what he remembers as we set him free of his pain.

I think he knows too because I came home from work and had a little lay down on the floor with him for awhile and he outright refused to look at me! my sweet boy would normally gaze into my eyes and sometimes fall asleep?? not this time??

Its so darn hard but I know I am doing what is best for Winston and not for me!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old September 14th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

Winston, you know how I feel and I am a phone call away. Thinking about all 3 of you all day.

I love you Winston and I will truly miss you.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old September 14th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Benmax you can be sure that mine and DH face, kisses and love will be what he remembers as we set him free of his pain.

I think he knows too because I came home from work and had a little lay down on the floor with him for awhile and he outright refused to look at me! my sweet boy would normally gaze into my eyes and sometimes fall asleep?? not this time??

Its so darn hard but I know I am doing what is best for Winston and not for me!
The beauty about being an animal Winston is that he does not know that he is not well. He is spared the knowledge thankfully.
He is probably however tired and not feeling the best. He may also feed off of your sorrow.
Try to be upbeat and mask your pain as much as humanly possible.

I have a dying dog...but he has no idea he is dying...so I treat him as the living.
Winston is with you today and needs your reassurance which I am certain you are giving him.

God belss you dear Winston.
Old September 14th, 2011, 03:52 PM

Old September 14th, 2011, 09:13 PM

So Sorry for both of you, he will run free with all the others my thoughts and prayers are with you now as you spend your last hours together
Old September 14th, 2011, 09:35 PM

I am so so sorry Winston. That is one of the hardest decisions to ever have to make. Big hugs for you and Winston. Sometimes what's best for our best friends is so hard for us. I know what you are going through. I had to make that decision just yesterday for my sweet kitty Gemini. Maybe Gemini and Winston can play at the rainbow bridge. Again, I am so sorry that you have to go through this.

Old September 14th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Still thinking of you all and feeling very sad, but also loving you so much that you care enough for your boy to set him free of his failing body. It is, as was said, truly the ultimate last gift of love we can give them. Having you and your hubby holding him and loving him will take him safely to his wings. Winston will always be in your heart and you in his. I'm crying now, and know I will be tomorrow as well. Stay strong and let your love flow to your boy.
Old September 14th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry, I am sure you pup feels the love from you and all the peeps here. from all of us here.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old September 15th, 2011, 12:41 AM

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old September 15th, 2011, 02:03 AM
Live well, laugh often

I'm so sorry . My love to you all at this time .