Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 30th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Senior Contributor

More pesty fleas!!!!

So I went to the park yesterday and I usually sit under a shade tree which means we all sit on the ground. Came home and spent the last 24 hrs scratching my ankles. Didn't clue in till someone told me I was attacked by fleas possibly. So my question is? My dogs are on Advantage (drops on the skin) and have been for 3 months. Can they bring the live fleas at home and I have a whole lot of stuff to wash and vacuum again? Or do the fleas die when they bite my dogs. I just spent months cleaning spraying vacuuming the house! In 12 years I have only seen fleas once.........Bad year?
Old July 30th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Senior Contributor

No fleas do not die after biting you or your dog. I wish they did . We have a lot rabbits around my condo and I hate this b/c they carry a lot parasites .I have seen fleas on my steps waiting for warm body to jump on.
YUCKY!!
Old July 30th, 2014, 01:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

The Advantage should kill the fleas on contact, so you should be okay. I believe it also kills flea eggs, so even if the dogs had fleas on them that lived long enough to lay eggs, the eggs shouldn't hatch.

Can you see any bites on your ankles? The blackflies/gnats are really bad here this year and they hang out in grass. They're also likely to prefer your bare skin to your dogs' furry skin. I wonder if that's what caused the itching? Blackfly bites look like little welts with a pink or reddish pinpoint center on top. Nasty little buggers....

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 30th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I had black fly bites before usually on my head or upper body, they hurt and swell real big. This is little bites that made my ankle swell up and only my feet. I was sitting in new park with newer grass and that cork stuff that they put under the playground in flip flops.
Old July 30th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Senior Contributor

FYI I am not concerned about my bites. Just want my doggies pest free. The constant cleaning is a bit excessive.
Old July 30th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
The Advantage should kill the fleas on contact, so you should be okay. I believe it also kills flea eggs, so even if the dogs had fleas on them that lived long enough to lay eggs, the eggs shouldn't hatch.

Can you see any bites on your ankles? The blackflies/gnats are really bad here this year and they hang out in grass. They're also likely to prefer your bare skin to your dogs' furry skin. I wonder if that's what caused the itching? Blackfly bites look like little welts with a pink or reddish pinpoint center on top. Nasty little buggers....
I was told by two vets offices that Frontline really will not killed the ticks and fleas in my state anymore. The bugs are building up a resistant to Frontline so I guess they'll do the same with Advantage after awhile. The ticks and fleas are really bad this year and the wild turkeys have not been coming around as much , they loves to eat ticks.
Old July 31st, 2014, 03:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I've heard reports of that from the south as well, Barkingdog, but it still works pretty well here. The issue with Frontline seems to be with the ticks, not the fleas, though. And I haven't heard any reports of similar problems with Advantage so it should still be effective against all life stages of fleas.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."