Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old December 14th, 2007, 06:19 PM
border collie mama

sola mio, i use the leash around my waist because if your dog is pulling it is much easier to have it around my waist and you have better control and you arent getting jerked around, and your right about not needing to give a correction on the leash when you dog is already pulling, when he is pulling you should just stop dead in your tracks, but if the leash is loose and he is going in the wrong direction(not by your side) thats when you can just abruptly turn in the other direction, but there makes no sense in changing direction when there is tension is on the leash because it wont feel a change in pressure. i hope this helps and keep it up
Old August 8th, 2008, 08:50 PM

I just wanted to give an update on Sola's 'heel' training (or at best, her walking without dislocating my shoulder or throwing me in a ditch training ).

I wrote my initial post waaaay back in December. I was at the end of my rope. Sola was extremely determined to pull, pull, pull her way through each and every walk. I then discovered the chest harness, after the martingale didn't appear to be working for me (I later learned three things about the martingale- I *think* I had purchased one size too large, Sola was too young, and I'm not convinced I was using it correctly at first).

The chest harness worked fairly well. Sola did stop pulling a LOT. However, it didn't provide the control I required to keep her from going towards people (playfully, not aggressively, but still not acceptable) when on walks. I still think the harness will still have its place for us- it can double as a seat belt, for example, and may be good for times when you don't NEED a ton of control.

So, I decided to whip out the martingale again, first we walked just up and down the driveway. It went much better than expected. Sola was able to heel properly- I was amazed...

Then today, I took Sola to the on-leash park. This is where I anticipated trouble. I was getting tired of having her either sit when people walked or jogged by to avoid her trying to go after anyone (the park is not a very busy one) or trying to distract her, etc. I figured there must be a better way. Well, today, I was truly AMAZED by Sola's progress. I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but she walked so well, right next to me, and didn't lunge at any joggers. I was even able to keep her under control when a squirrel appeared

At any rate, I can't express how excited I am that she is now able to walk nicely with me, it was a huge worry and I was very discouraged. It probably seems like a small feat to those whose doggies do this more easily, but I assure you this is groundbreaking for us. After all the work and frustration, Sola is finally a pleasure to walk. I am so proud of her.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." -Unknown

Mom to:
Sola: 18 month old black lab/malamute
Luna: 2 year old Siberian Husky (rescue)
Millie: 2.5 year old tabby (rescue)
Layla: ?? year old calico (rescue)

Former mom to (RIP):
Nicole: Maine Coon cat 1985-1999
Poncho: Degu
Bibi: Degu
Josette: St. Bernard, childhood pet
Old August 8th, 2008, 09:32 PM
border collie mama

woohoo! its good to here that she isnt yanking your arm off anymore. If you keep it up persistantly. Its good to hear that a martingale is helping you out also, i find them really usefull if they are used properly and fit propeerly.
Old August 8th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

Way to go, and I am proud of you for not giving up.
Old August 9th, 2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allymack View Post
woohoo! its good to here that she isnt yanking your arm off anymore. If you keep it up persistantly. Its good to hear that a martingale is helping you out also, i find them really usefull if they are used properly and fit propeerly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvie View Post
Way to go, and I am proud of you for not giving up.
Thanks allymack and Sylvie! I am just over the moon with the progress. I know it sounds a bit exaggerated, but it's huge to me
I certainly got pretty frustrated, many times.. But I think when you love your dog you're willing to put some work in. Also it's important to recognize the safety aspect of having a large dog under control in public (which so many people neglect to ). I don't want to be 'that girl'

Mom to:

Former mom to (RIP):
Old August 9th, 2008, 05:55 PM

awesome work, i hope i can get there soon too!
Old August 10th, 2008, 09:16 AM

*deleted by me*
Old August 10th, 2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kigndano View Post
awesome work, i hope i can get there soon too!
I'm sure you will, kigndano.. I read your posts and your challenges seem similar to mine (and also breed similarities since Sola is half mal- boy do they like to PULL). I think something in the dog just "clicks" after a great deal of training, and they finally "get it". I mean don't get me wrong, our walks aren't perfect, and I'm not sure they ever will be. But we've made a lot of progress, and I'm sure you'll get to a point where you feel satisfied too.

Mom to:

Former mom to (RIP):
Old August 12th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with everyone here. He is far too young for a choke chain. Please consult with another trainer. There is no way a good trainer would suggest this on such a young dog. It is a quick fix for some problems but not on a puppy - ever.
Old August 12th, 2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
I agree with everyone here. He is far too young for a choke chain. Please consult with another trainer. There is no way a good trainer would suggest this on such a young dog. It is a quick fix for some problems but not on a puppy - ever.
Hi BenMax, at the time of the original post, the pup was 3.5 mos, but now is a year old... Too young at the time, not too young now considering the weight (65 lbs).

Mom to:

Former mom to (RIP):
Old August 12th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaMio View Post
Hi BenMax, at the time of the original post, the pup was 3.5 mos, but now is a year old... Too young at the time, not too young now considering the weight (65 lbs).
I totally missed that - thanks for the clarification. I guess I should look closer at the dates.

Well I guess the issue is resolved then...

I'm a .
Old August 12th, 2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
I totally missed that - thanks for the clarification. I guess I should look closer at the dates.

Well I guess the issue is resolved then...

I'm a .
No worries.. Maybe I should have opened a new thread

Mom to:

Former mom to (RIP):
Old August 16th, 2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze View Post
i now use a pincher collar with Bree,she has pull my shoulder out one to many times.. and I too am a small women.. with this collar you must find a good trainer to show you how to use it.. it is mandiory. other wise to loose or to tight can injure your pup !!!!!!
i sincerely believe that every situation needs individual attention... that not every training tool will fit every dog or every owner...

i also use a "pinscher collar/prong collar", as strongly suggested by my new dog trainer for dominant/aggressive dogs - she showed me how to use it with her own before i bought my own the following day... i just adopted gaya at the spca shelter, 2.5 weeks ago, she is 3.5 y.o., only 57 pounds, but she is pulling terribly, making a walk with a reg. collar totally impossible for more than 5 min., just for the time for a pee when we're on the road... and she is demonstrating spontaneous aggressiveness towards other pets we meet in parks... :sad: i don't really know what happened to her with other pets... people don't tell everything when they abandon their pets at the spca shelter... the only thing they said is that gaya was alone all day/evening in a fenced yard, or in a cage inside...

i have major back and neck/shoulder issues and i walk with a cane - i didn't like the idea of a prong collar initially, not more than for a choker, but for everyone's safety, with proper instructions, i went for it... as i learned that the prong collar is safer for your dog than the choker chain... so, with the prong collar, i feel i have a much much better control... and walking in parks is now possible and fun with my new friend... better be safe than sorry

here are 2 links i found... for those interested in getting more info on how to use the pinscher collar/prong collar:

quote:
A Study on Prong Collars was done in Germany:
100 dogs were in the study. 50 used choke and 50 used prong.
The dogs were studied for their entire lives. As dogs died, autopsies were performed.
Of the 50 which had chokes, 48 had injuries to the neck, trachea, or back. 2 of those were determined to be genetic. The other 46 were caused by trauma.
Of the 50 which had prongs, 2 had injuries in the neck area, 1 was determined to be genetic. 1 was caused by trauma.

http://www.cobankopegi.com/prong.html#Pictures

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/prong.html

&

Last edited by lavandula&gaya; August 16th, 2008 at 01:09 PM.