Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Old October 18th, 2010, 06:11 AM

Feral kittens and fleas

Hey Guys I'm hoping someone can help me out.We have 2 feral kittens that have decided to make our balcony home.We have it blocked off so our adult cats can't get away but these kittens fit thru the tiniest spot!!! Last night we saw them in our cat tent on our fabric camping chair curled up sleeping.We couldn't shoo them away because it's getting cold and they looked mighty comfy.The woman downstairs was supposed to be bringing them to the SPCA but she has yet.
My question is for the time being the back balcony is off limits to our kitties because we're afraid the have fleas,ear mites,worms the works!! I'm going to take them to the SPCA this week myself because it's getting way too cold out there.Is there any way to clean the balcony to rid it of fleas.The fabrics tent is going in the garbage and most likely I won't try to salvage the chair either.I would just like to be extra sure that the balcony is clean.Anyone have any ideas???
Thanks
Old October 18th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Diatomaceous earth and/or a borate product will probably do the trick:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig106
http://eartheasy.com/live_natural_flea_control.html

How old are the kittens? Do you know for sure that they're feral? What is your SPCA's policy on ferals? Many just euthanize cats that aren't friendly enough for adoption - you might want to make sure that's not the case before turning them over. If the kittens are too old to be socialized, perhaps contacting an organization that will TNR them is a better idea.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old October 18th, 2010, 07:39 AM

Good Morning SCM! Well our SPCA is a no kill shelter...so I'm assuming that they will find them a home,otherwise they keep them there. Yes,I'm sure they're feral I would say they are maximum 4 months old.I first saw them around the middle of August but they were keeping their distance till recently.
My hubby said we could keep them but I just don't have the resources to have them and take care of the 2 we already have.Plus there have been some many changes in Mickey and Gigi's lives lately I really don't think it would be fair
Thanks for the links I'm going to check them out
Old October 18th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Mickey, my angel

Thanks for looking out for these kitties.

I take it you plan to take them to the SPCA Monteregie? As far as I know that is the only no-kill SPCA in your area.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old October 18th, 2010, 08:50 AM

Yes,thats where I'm taking them...when I can get my hands on them lol!!! They seem to come around at 9 at night then disappear in the daytime.It's like they know I have been told by a few friends that SPCA Monteregie is not taking anymore cats ..period!!! But trust me they will take these 2.I assume that kittens are adopted out faster than adult cats so I have my that they will agree to take them.I've been calling all morning and can not get an answer though.
Old October 18th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysmomma View Post
Well our SPCA is a no kill shelter...so I'm assuming that they will find them a home,otherwise they keep them there.
I would still ask what their policy is regarding ferals. They may be no-kill, but often that "no-kill" moniker only applies to adoptable pets. Feral cats are not necessarily adoptable. Plus, the stress on a feral cat of being cooped up indefinitely can be very detrimental to their health and wellbeing, making them even less adoptable as time goes on. It's often kinder to TNR a truly feral cat than it is to send them to a shelter, even a no-kill one.

Quote:
I assume that kittens are adopted out faster than adult cats so I have my that they will agree to take them.
If they're friendly, yes that's usually the case. But if they are freaked out by people (and most ferals are) and there isn't someone (ie foster home) available to try to socialize them, then their adoption potential drops dramatically.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old October 18th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
I would still ask what their policy is regarding ferals. They may be no-kill, but often that "no-kill" moniker only applies to adoptable pets. Feral cats are not necessarily adoptable. Plus, the stress on a feral cat of being cooped up indefinitely can be very detrimental to their health and wellbeing, making them even less adoptable as time goes on. It's often kinder to TNR a truly feral cat than it is to send them to a shelter, even a no-kill one.

If they're friendly, yes that's usually the case. But if they are freaked out by people (and most ferals are) and there isn't someone (ie foster home) available to try to socialize them, then their adoption potential drops dramatically.
Very good points Sugarcatmom. Also, if this is a no kill shelter it is really putting the burdeon on them on making a decision on whether just keep for the sake of keeping or euthanize because they are feral. Very sad situation. There are organizations in the Montreal area that will assist in TNR....and in some cases it's free. (Though I would suggest a donation to assist them for future cases..(or rather daily cases)).
Old October 18th, 2010, 12:08 PM

Sorry I'm going to sound like such a but whats a TNR???
I will check on their policy though...these kittens seem to be getting more and more used to humans since the woman downstairs started feeding them.I wish she would take them in but she already has 3 cats and I believe she is on a fixed income That would definately make my life easier because everytime I see them I want to keep them
Old October 18th, 2010, 12:16 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

TNR= trap neuter release..
Old October 18th, 2010, 02:04 PM

God I'm such a dork!!!!
But won't it be kind of cold for them outside this winter???

Where could I find a place in Montreal that would do this for free??
Old October 18th, 2010, 02:11 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Check it out for ideas..........

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=73129

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 18th, 2010, 03:30 PM

That is a great idea I could totally make the rubbermaid container one I have tons of those things.I will just need to speak with my landlord to be sure that it will be ok with him.I can't see how it makes much of a difference though...they're already here anyways!!
Now to find somewhere that would help me with the neutering at a good price.
Old October 18th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Now to find somewhere that would help me with the neutering at a good price.
Try contacting Steri-Animal and see what they can help you with.

Here's an interesting (and recent) article on the subject:
http://www.mcgilltribune.com/feature...6528?pagereq=1

Old October 18th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Mickey, my angel

I am going to open up a can of worms here. Certainly TNR is a great solution when you are dealing with feral cats and certainly can often the most viable option. However, bear in mind it is a long term commitment. You are going to be making the commitment to be the guardian for these kitties and provide them with the necessities of life. Under the right conditions, with proper care and food and shelter, cats can have the potential to live for many years outdoors.

I noticed that you are renting an apartment. One of my concerns would be, how long do you expect to live where you are now and what will happen to these kitties if you should move? Would there be someone else willing to take over the responsibility for their care after you leave?

The other option would be if someone were willing to socialize them so they would be adoptable. You say these kitties are likely no more than 4 months old. Kittens can be socialized most effortlessly when they are under 8 weeks old. However older kittens can also be socialized if someone is willing and able to put in the effort. If you feel that you will not be able to make a long term commitment to these kittens, you might still want to contact some rescues and tell them the situation and see what options they can suggest or even whether or not they may be able to take them on.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton

Old October 18th, 2010, 05:20 PM

Wow these are some really good points! Not that I have any intention on going anywhere anytime soon but it is something to consider.The lady in the basement has been feeding them up till now (we're just a soft place to ) but she is an older woman.
I guess this is one that I will have to sleep on and come up with a solution in the morning.I tried to approach one of the kittens that I've named Rocky today but she ran...not far mind you and she kept watching me. This is a picture I took the first day I saw them.
Attached Images

Old October 18th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

These kittens are just babies and really need a shelter. Hopefully somebody from the Mtl area will help you, they need to be brought inside.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 18th, 2010, 07:06 PM

They are just babies.Granted this pic was taken about 2 months ago.
Old October 18th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
when I can get my hands on them lol!!!
No matter what you decide to do with them, it would still be a really good idea to contact a rescue so that you can borrow a humane trap. Please don't try catching them yourself, even kittens can cause some serious damage to soft human flesh! Ideally, there's a rescue that can provide the trap, arrange for the kittens speutering and vaccinations, and assess them for adoptability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikischo View Post
I am going to open up a can of worms here.
Not a can of worms at all, those are very valid comments. Perhaps their care can be shared with other members of the community, like the elderly lady that's already feeding them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikischo View Post
However older kittens can also be socialized if someone is willing and able to put in the effort.
Ah, and that is the main issue really. Given the staggering population of feral cats in Montreal and the woeful lack of foster homes for those that are rescued, it's just not always feasible to put in that amount of effort. The older the kitten, the longer it can potentially take to reach a level of socialization acceptable for adoption. I think the Steri-Animal group has a 3 month cut-off (as in, kittens 3 months and under are socialized, older than that and they TNR). That's not to say that these 2 little ones, once safely inside and getting regular meals, won't have an "ah-ha!" moment and decide people ain't so bad. My fingers are crossed that this is what happens.

Anyway, mickeysmomma, I think if you can try to track down a group that's willing to help you by providing traps and access to cheap/free speuter, maybe they can also give you advice on your situation and help you decide what to do. Good luck! Let us know how everything turns out.

Old October 19th, 2010, 05:36 AM
Mickey, my angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Anyway, mickeysmomma, I think if you can try to track down a group that's willing to help you by providing traps and access to cheap/free speuter, maybe they can also give you advice on your situation and help you decide what to do. Good luck! Let us know how everything turns out.
Have you tried to contact Steri-Animal? The following are websites for a couple of rescues you might also want to try to contact for assistance and/or advice:

http://www.gerdysrescue.org/

http://www.animalrescuenetwork.org/info/contact

Please continue to keep us updated.

Last edited by mikischo; October 19th, 2010 at 06:30 AM.
Old October 19th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

These kittens have been exposed enough to humans that they are probably only semi feral and they can be rehabilitated, but time is of the essence now.

My Rose who was three years old when I got her from cpietra (Rose was a feral born and raised in a factory in Mtl before she was trapped) has turned out to be the most loving cat.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 19th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Senior Contributor

I volunteer for Steri and I can tell you that we are pretty much up to our proverbial ears in kittens and cats...but don't let that stop you. please pm me.
Winter in Montreal can be cruel and these babies will need shelter and food.
the problem with helping them is that they become dependent on the helping hand and when you need to leave, they are left on their own and that may be so much more cruel on them.
Sometimes good intentions are not always the most helpful.