Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 11th, 2012, 06:44 PM

Just picked up two kittens from Shelter - They have fleas

Hi, we just lost our 5 year old kitty "Yoda" last Monday to pancreatitis (it happened so fast), and we were so heartbroken and missing our baby which we were very close to.

Yesterday we went out to get a new kitten because we knew it would help us keep our minds off Yoda. We ended up with two, because they seemed so attached.

This morning when I was holding one, I noticed it had fleas. Now I don't know how I should handle it. We brought them to the vet right away, and they gave them "Revolution" on the backs of their necks. They are only 6 1/2 weeks old, so the choices were limited. We looked through the kitties and can't find anymore, so they don't seem to be too infested with fleas.

I am really worried though since I have an older cat. He's stayed away from the kittens so far (its only been overnight), but I don't want him catching them.

I've vacuumed the house where the kittens were, and they've been sort of limited where abouts the wandered so far. They are kept the den for now.

We're sort of nervous to even hold them now they had fleas... can we hold them without worrying about getting fleas on us? They are so cuddly and want attention from us.

I can't afford to get a flea infested house... we're so tired from the emotional rollercoaster from losing Yoda... we don't have any more energy
Old October 11th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi, welcome sorry but I do not have anby info for you but I am sure that someone will come along soon. So sorry to hear that your cat Yoda passed away at such a young age. Getting two kittens will help your grieving, kittens are such characters. Pictures are always welcome too....
Old October 11th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanMich View Post
Hi, we just lost our 5 year old kitty "Yoda" last Monday to pancreatitis (it happened so fast), and we were so heartbroken and missing our baby which we were very close to.

Yesterday we went out to get a new kitten because we knew it would help us keep our minds off Yoda. We ended up with two, because they seemed so attached.

This morning when I was holding one, I noticed it had fleas. Now I don't know how I should handle it. We brought them to the vet right away, and they gave them "Revolution" on the backs of their necks. They are only 6 1/2 weeks old, so the choices were limited. We looked through the kitties and can't find anymore, so they don't seem to be too infested with fleas.

I am really worried though since I have an older cat. He's stayed away from the kittens so far (its only been overnight), but I don't want him catching them.

I've vacuumed the house where the kittens were, and they've been sort of limited where abouts the wandered so far. They are kept the den for now.

We're sort of nervous to even hold them now they had fleas... can we hold them without worrying about getting fleas on us? They are so cuddly and want attention from us.

I can't afford to get a flea infested house... we're so tired from the emotional rollercoaster from losing Yoda... we don't have any more energy
It would help if you took your vacuum cleaner outside and clean it out in case there are any fleas in it . I think you should vacuum the whole house to be on the safe side. If your kittens have no fleas on them you should be OK in holding them . They'll need to be held so they bond with you better.
I am sorry to hear about the lost of your cat.where the fleas already dead that where on the kittens? My dog came from a shelter and had a lot of dead fleas in him. It would had been nice he was combed out to get rid of all the dead fleas.
Old October 11th, 2012, 11:28 PM

Thank you for replying

We did vacuum the entire house.. we have a built in vacuum.. in the basement corner of the house so whatever got sucked up, is in the vacuum still.

I tried to find fleas on the kitties and I can't see any. I tried a small flea comb, and still no luck. It may be better if I wet their fur a bit as that takes alot of the fluff away. I may try this tomorrow.

I assume Revolution should work well (we just had them done earlier this morning)? To be honest, I've had cats for decades, and never had fleas on them ever... so I'm not all that familiar with them.
Old October 11th, 2012, 11:35 PM

New Kitties

Here is a picture of the two kitties we got yesterday.. they are so cute.. and sound like a minichainsaw when they purr
Attached Images

Old October 12th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Senior Contributor

I had a couple of battles with fleas on my golden only, never did any of the other dogs get fleas The drops worked amazing, and I never got infested in my house......A good vacum and maybe put drops on your adult cat just incase? Someone may have better advice for you. But don't worry to much, you adopted beautiful kitties.
Old October 12th, 2012, 08:23 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

WOW, that's a whole lotta cuteness right there

I have never had any experience with fleas either but I don't think I would wet their fur. Maybe just keep combing them. Hopefully they are all already dead.

So so sorry to hear about your sweet Yoda...much too young and much too sudden.

These two certainly can't replace him but I'm guessing they will keep your mind busy!!!!

Good luck

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old October 12th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanMich View Post
Here is a picture of the two kitties we got yesterday.. they are so cute.. and sound like a minichainsaw when they purr
I see something in the white and brown kitten eyes ,it is in the corner of it the eyes. What is that , I wonder if the kitten eyes are running , is the kitten nose running ?

It would not hurt to get rid of the vacuum cleaner bag as fleas can live for a few months without eating. YUCK what an awful thought! I hate fleas and ticks!

Last edited by Barkingdog; October 12th, 2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old October 12th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the board JeanMich, sorry to hear about Yoda, but your new kitties are lovely. As previously mentioned I would ask your vet about treating your older cat for fleas just to be on the safe side. When grooming your kittens try to do it on a white towel. If there are any fleas, or if there is any blood dried up from flea bites, you should find little dark spots on the towel. If you caught it really early though you may be in luck. I don't think it's uncommon for shelter animals to have fleas though. Those are two very cute babies. Good luck to you!
Old October 12th, 2012, 08:12 PM

I think we did luck out. I've only found one dead dried up fleas on both kittens after combing them a fair amount.
Old October 13th, 2012, 11:43 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

The Revolution applied by the vet would have effectively killed any fleas left. Fleas normally will not go too far away from their available food source so if they were confined to one room (good for introducing to older cat btw) and you have since cleaned the room I would not be too concerned.
Did you contact the shelter and tell them the kittens had fleas? If not please do so so that they are aware.
I really wish shelters would not find it necessary to separate the mom and her kittens at such a young age. Ideally they should be with mom until at the very least 8 weeks. 10 to 12 is better. They learn so much from mom during those weeks.
Have fun with your new babies. Now would be a great time to get them on a good quality canned food and dump the dry. www.catinfo.org - great reading!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 13th, 2012, 12:23 PM

Thanks again for the responses from everyone.

Yes, we called the Hemlock Animal Hospital where we adopted them, and mentioned they have fleas. We went there within an hour of noticing and had them apply Revolution.

We didn't let them roam the house much prior to that, and since, have done a major vacuum/clean in the limited places they were. Also, they never got close to the older cat yet, as he's a bit nervous of them so far.

Also, just to be safe, we let the "Action for Animals" organization know about the fleas (they provided them for Adoption) since we noticed there were a bunch more kitties in the same cage when we went back for the flea treatment.

We wanted them to make sure other new kitty owners were made aware of this issue.

Since I had not seen any more fleas (just found one dead one) we let the kitties roam the house at will now, so they can get the attention they deserve