Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 24th, 2005, 02:32 PM

puppy gezundheit!

my four month old doberman pinscher began mild sneezes and sniffles yesterday afternoon. he is not, however, coughing. he has had all vaccinations except rabies, as he is scheduled to recieve that in about a week. until now, of course, he has been too young. i don't want to over-react... therefore, am reluctant to call the vet. i am curious about giving him a bit of vitamin c... should i be more concerned? we are open to any and all suggestions, as his health is my only concern!

sniffling in the miami sun,
kris and nehemiah (the pup)
Old March 24th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Large breed pups are not exempt from the good ole' reverse sneeze . I would still have your pup checked out should he have any other symptoms.

The B-vax is known to give a little locally nasal upset too.

Being as how you are a fellow Floridian cracker...the allergy inhallent levels in this state are extreme this year. Too much decaying matter still left over and we are full bloom once again..

Welcome aboard!
Old March 24th, 2005, 05:07 PM

so... it's a REVERSE sneeze?
it seems like he's sneezing the same way i would...
he definitely sprays... should i try the vitamin c thing?
i do appreciate any thoughts, as i am a new mom and he is my first!
much obliged,
k.
Old March 24th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristina
so... it's a REVERSE sneeze?
it seems like he's sneezing the same way i would...
he definitely sprays... should i try the vitamin c thing?
i do appreciate any thoughts, as i am a new mom and he is my first!
much obliged,
k.
Dont know...this is the internet, but could be. That's why I said you should have the vet check it out. Better to rule on the side of caution.
There could be many different reasons causing his snorts. Also, being a puppy kid...well, you know how good they are at getting into stuff.
As for the vitamin c, ask your vet. What's good for humans isn't always the best idea for puppy kids. When I get the snarfles I take echinacea but I would never use the same on Ciara.
Is his "sneeze" discharge clear? How often does he do this? When did he have his B-vax? When can we see a picture? *nudge, hint*
How's the weather down there? We got blasted by the front and it was heading your way....

Any hoot...keep us posted please!
Old March 24th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Senior Contributor

My dog gets fits of "reverse sneezing" and it doesn't sound like a sneeze, but rather a violent snorting or "horking". Your puppy is just doing regular "Ah-choo" sneezing?

Just make sure your puppy's eyes and nose are clear. If there is discharge (green or heavy) he may have an upper respiratory infection that would indicate a vet visit.
Old March 24th, 2005, 10:39 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
My dog gets fits of "reverse sneezing" and it doesn't sound like a sneeze, but rather a violent snorting or "horking".
Does the dog sound like they can't get their breath? while horking, snorting too. This is called reverse sneezing, Jordie does that I wondered about it often. Do I understand that right Lucky?
Old March 25th, 2005, 12:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Does the dog sound like they can't get their breath? while horking, snorting too.
YES! The first time my dog did this, I didn't know what it was and I was very alarmed! Since then, I've learned how to handle it.

You need to calm the dog down and stop the spasms in the trachea. Talk very soothingly, and gently but firmly stroke the throat - firmly enough so that you can feel the trachea. This usually works.

If it does not, put two fingers over the dog's nostrils for about 3 seconds to block air. When you remove your fingers, the dog will lick her lips and swallow.

Either or both of these methods will normally stop the attack.
Old March 25th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Agree with Lucky's technique. Our Eskimo gets Reverse Sneezing. First time it happened I was afraid it was Kennel Cough (we lived through the Cough in 1976 before meds were available - will never forget it). Most of my pup's attacks are genuine but he has unfortunately learned that he always gets a throat rub ...
Old March 25th, 2005, 11:11 AM

Doesn’t sound like a reverse sneeze to me, but it could be….its impossible to be sure on the internet.

Just because he’s had his vaccines doesn’t mean he can’t get kennel cough. If you are worried take him to the vet.

Yes, you can give vit C and echinacea to animals, but you have to give the proper dose, especially with echinacea. I’ve done it with both dogs and cats with great success.
Monster - ferret
Bob - Ball Python
Old March 25th, 2005, 12:40 PM

I was so mad when a woman at our park's dog started sort of choking and horking and she said it was because he choked on his spit-- I had never seen that and since then my dogs do it too! It freaks me out.