Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 29th, 2003, 05:51 PM

Exclamation help...he hates the brush

Okay guys, I need your wisdom.

Murphy absolutely hates to be brushed. He is afraid of the brush. We have had him in to be groomed but they have never mentioned anything about this fear and now that his fuller coat is coming in I am trying to brush him between groomings.

But...he hates the brush. If I even pick it up he is gone from the room before I can blink. I have tried it when he is quiet and sleepier, I have tried treating him while doing it, and I have even tried alternating my hand with the brush when we are enjoying some quiet time. Nothing is working.

Any great ideas, folks?
Old November 30th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Senior Contributor

there are alternatives to the brush such as a glove that has brush bristles on the hand (found at most good pet stores), we use a horse grooming brush that is a black oval with rubber brush bristles on it, it slips over the hand and is more like a pat than a brush and is far more effective than a brush as the rubber helps remover fine and soft hair better than a brush. but they are more like a pat than a brush and the whole hand is used so this may be more comforting to the puppy, hope it work out.
Old November 30th, 2003, 09:45 PM

Thanks melanie - that sounds like a great idea. I'll pick one up tomorrow and give it a shot.

Cross your fingers for me!
Old December 1st, 2003, 07:07 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Hey thats a great idea

Murphy is just so cute I just wanna squish him...send him to me for the day so I can get all my hugs out on him okay!!!

I wonder if his fear is because the groomers may be rough with him.

ALSO remind them the groomers to put cotton in the dogs ears...I dont know how many times I've seen ear infections cause they dont and soap gets in there and well you know the drill!!

Does he like to sit on your lap? maybe try to put your scent on the brush, with some of your hair. A gentle bristle brush nothing wire, I hate those things on puppy hair it hurts their sensitive skin.

How's everything else going? How old is the little runt now?

Luba
Old December 1st, 2003, 07:30 PM

Luba, you have yourself a deal. Murphy would love to accept your offer of unlimited hugs!!! I am coming to Toronto next week...shall I drop him off? (TEE HEE)

He's not a runt anymore that's for sure!!! He's 14 weeks now and about double the size - ATLEAST. He's weighing in at 21 lbs.
I swear if he stood still long enough you could watch him grow!

I never thought to ask the groomers about the cotton in the ear thing. My dogs have always been small enough that we have groomed them ourselves so this is our first experience with them. We have been taking him to Petsmart until we can find a groomer
we like in our area. I'm not a big fan of petsmart but it has done in a pinch.

Yes, he loves to sit in my lap or just up agaisnt me but he just seems to KNOW when that brush is coming!

I'll give the scent thing a try - it makes sense to me. Any suggestions on how to find a good (reasonable) groomer?

By the way, how is your Honey doing in her new home?
Old December 1st, 2003, 08:29 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

SURE drop him off!!! HE looks like I could handle him in a hug fest!!

Finding a groomer, well I always took the advise of my vet. Now if you lived near me I could recommend a great gal that lives just across the street from me. A lot of vets provide grooming services or know of some great groomers for sure!

Have you tried brushing him when he has his favourite treat
the CET chews are great, (not a rawhide/pressed bone fan here) they LOVE the CET's and they're great for chewy puppies and to clean teeth. Maybe sneakily put him on your lap and give him a chew, wait until he gets goin on it then give him a couple of pats and slowly work in the brushing gently.

LOTS OF LUCK TO YA

Here's Honey and Chocolate

By the way!!! Guess what, both these lovelies were rescued from the SAME high kill pound where we live!!! NOW they're bonded together for life!
Attached Images

Old December 1st, 2003, 09:54 PM

Honey looks soooo happy!! I think those two were definitely meant to be together.

We just recently changed vets as the one I was going to was NOT very ethical and besides they had thier own groomer there in clinic so I'm sure that's who they would have recommended. The new vet we have is amazing so I will definitely check with him.

Now, I have one more question...what is a CET chew?
Old December 1st, 2003, 10:32 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

CET chews are dental chews for your doggie

You can get them at the vets