Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old March 26th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Getting defensive

Is this okay ?

Did a quick grocery shop today, and brought home :
  • 1 bag of frozen "marrow bones". Big chunks of bone.
    I'm thinking they're good for recreational chewing, but not so much for real food, right ?
  • 1 bag of chicken leg quarters. There is 4 legs in the bag. Each leg is ~ 0.63 lbs
    Are these okay to give as a meal ? I'm thinking as his AM meal, with kibble still in the evening. Though, each leg is more than what he needs to eat in a day !
  • 1 tray of chicken heart/giblets/livers. Not sure how much is on the tray. Not much - it was only $2.
    Not sure what to do with these though - he wouldn't touch the organ meat this morning.

The dog this is for is a 21-lb pug/beagle mix, 11 months old.

Pugsley Bo
Butterscotch
Burbel Grey

Last edited by Kashi; March 26th, 2008 at 07:46 PM. Reason: checked the amounts in the food
Old March 26th, 2008, 06:48 PM

Some one please correct me if I am wrong as I am no expert but I thought it wasn't really good to feed kibble and raw. I thought if you feed one you really shouldn't feed the another.

I read that is takes up to 72 hours for kibble to be fully digested, and raw a matter of hours.

(Sorry if this is off topic, but you mentioned that you were going to feed raw in the mornings and kibble at night).

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler, Notebooks, 1912
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Getting defensive

What I've read has said not to feed kibble and raw at the same meal, but I've not come across anything saying it has to be 100% one or the other.

I took the chicken legs out of the freezer, there weren't as many pieces as I'd thought - only 4. But each is about 0.63 lbs, which is significantly more than what Pugsley requires in a day (which is 0.4 lbs), so I think I'm going to cut each leg quarter in half.

Pugsley Bo
Butterscotch
Burbel Grey
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:42 PM

What I've heard is that kibble contains less digestible ingredients, like fiber, that will slow down the dog's metabolism. The main reason dogs aren't as susceptible to salmonella poisoning is the speed of their metabolism, allowing bacteria no time to proliferate. If you feed a raw meal too close to a kibble meal, you could run into problems. But I think feeding a breakfast of raw and an evening meal of kibble is fine. Someone might want to correct me on that.
Old March 27th, 2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesMichy View Post
What I've heard is that kibble contains less digestible ingredients, like fiber, that will slow down the dog's metabolism. The main reason dogs aren't as susceptible to salmonella poisoning is the speed of their metabolism, allowing bacteria no time to proliferate. If you feed a raw meal too close to a kibble meal, you could run into problems. But I think feeding a breakfast of raw and an evening meal of kibble is fine. Someone might want to correct me on that.
I read this as well.

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler, Notebooks, 1912
Old March 27th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesMichy View Post
I read that about cats too.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 27th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Senior Contributor

My understanding has always been that feeding raw and kibble in the same meal is potentially problematic, whereas a meal of each is not. In fact, I know quite a few people who feed this way.

Kashi, you might try feeding the organs frozen, I think for some dogs the texture is the problem. Otherwise, you might want to try pureeing it and mixing it in with something the dog does like.
Old March 27th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashi View Post
[list][*]1 bag of frozen "marrow bones". Big chunks of bone. I'm thinking they're good for recreational chewing, but not so much for real food, right ?
Right. Some ppl prefer not offering recreational bones but I don't see a problem with it once in a while. I don't only because my guys are power chewers and actually do manage to splinter/break the bones. I worry about the potential damage to their teeth but with a dog Pugsley's size, I don't think it would cause any problems. Don't be surprised though if he gets a bit of runny poop after gnawing on one after a while as the marrow is extremely fatty.

Cutting up the chicken quarters in half is fine. Just watch as he eats to ensure he's chewing up the bone properly and monitor his stools to make sure it's being digested. I offer ours breast bone as well as it's softer than thigh bone.

As Pitgrrl mentioned, I, too, froze organs until our dogs got used to them (same goes for fish).

The info others provided about feeding kibble and raw is pretty much what I've come across. I used to feed both in separate meals when I started experimenting with raw and never had any problems.