Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 17th, 2015, 05:32 PM

Traveling with your dog?

Hello everyone!

I would like to travel with my dog (60lb border collie) and do not want to crate him - besides the stress for him it's too expensive. He's too big to pay the pet fee in cabin so my only other choice would be to get an emotional support animal prescription?

has anyone done this before and do online websites work?

thanks!!
Old March 18th, 2015, 02:06 PM
Senior Contributor

I flew my Samoyed Husky from Boston to California with me and had to crate him . I gave she some meds to help her relax and it was a bad idea . My poor dog was so drugged up by the time we landed in California and to made matter worst when I took her outside to pee the grass was fake grass and she didn't know what to made of it The next I flew with her I gave her nothing and she was fine. But every dog is difference , my dog was very low key . If your dog does not have a microchip , it would be a good idea to have this done. I heard of dogs getting spooked and running off while traveling and some dogs are not found .
Old March 18th, 2015, 07:58 PM

It would be a good idea to check with the airline you are planning to fly with to see if they allow in-cabin emotional support animals & what the restrictions are ie times/days etc

I think it's best to have the script written by an actual mental health professional who has seen you in person. Companies that offer this online are not going to do it free, and in the end it might not be accepted by the airline, whereas they might accept one with the local address letterhead of a therapist in your city.

How is he going to react to being in cabin, does that stress him out too? There will be guidelines your dog must meet ie calm/courteous behaviour appropriate for being in public around other people etc, much like what is expected of trained service dogs.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old March 18th, 2015, 08:36 PM
Senior Contributor

http://servicedogcentral.org/content/ESA-flying

What kind of dog do you have and what color is it fur? I had a hearing dog
that was a black Standard Poodle and some people was afraid of him b/c he was a 'black ' dog. I know sound like a crazy question but the bred and color fur of your dog can be an issue when traveling with the public.
Old March 19th, 2015, 12:28 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I went ahead and purchased an emotional support animal letter for about $100 and it's good for one year. Please note that a emotional support animal is just a pet and not trained but can fly with their owners - perfect!!

Last edited by hazelrunpack; March 19th, 2015 at 09:33 AM. Reason: No promotional links, pls
Old March 19th, 2015, 09:35 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Make sure you check with the airline you decide to fly with--they may have more stringent requirements for the ESA letter. Some of them require the letter to be on the letterhead of your attending mental health professional, for instance.

Good luck and have a good trip!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 19th, 2015, 12:56 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.nsarco.com/samplegeneral.html

I bet your doctor would had written an emotional support animal letter
for free. I agree about calling the airline and see what their requirements are .