Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures > Photography tips - photography gear

Closed Thread

Old February 20th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Posting pictures on the Pets.ca bulletin board

In order to post pictures on our bulletin board your file cannot be more than 100K. If it is over 100k you will need a graphics program to reduce it. You can get a great free graphics program at www.irfanview.com

Why can't I just put up my photo the way it is - why the hassle?

If you are trying to post a file that you dumped from your camera to your computer it is probably too large and the board will reject it. Why? Because when you print a photo from a digital file - you need a lot of info (megapixels) in that file to get a good print.

This is NOT the case with the web as is clearly illustrated by the examples here http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=23512
in posts #3 and 4 - where 2 indentical looking photos are half the filesize of one another.

So in order so that the pages don't take forever to load (because a 500k file takes 5 times longer that a 100k file to load) and not to waste webspace for no reason - the limit is 100k.

To resize an image in Irfanview

Ok if you download irfanview, open your file in irfanview.
Go to Image - Resize/Resample - all I did was put the width at 500 pixels and clicked ok.Then I went to File - Save as..... and chose JPG - - JPEG for their dropdown menu.

Once I did that a new window opened where there is a slider to choose higher or lower images.

Like I've said in other threads - Personally I always use 40 or less

Then just save it.

This was just a quick way that I was able to do it in Irfanview, I'm sure there are equally good or better ways to do it in Irfanview or other graphics programs. Irfanview is a really easy program to play around with.

What if I scan the image or the image was already scanned

If you are about to scan the image, scan it at 72 DPI or 72 PPI (dots per inch or pixels per inch). That will PROBABLY give you a file size of less than 100K. If you scan at higher resolutions your file size will almost surely be too large. If so follow the directions above to reduce it. Resolution problems are talked about in greater detail in the following thread http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=20694

As a last resort - if you've tried the free program and still can't do it and it's only just a couple of photos - just email me at marko@pets.ca with the photos and as long as they are not so large that my email program rejects them - it's my pleasure to resize them for you.

hope that helps!

Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Closed Thread