Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 8th, 2006, 12:39 AM

First Night with New Puppy

Hello everyone,
I just got a chihuahua mix thats onlly 7 weeks old. Tonight is our first night with him and we're not sure what to do/expect. We didn't have anytime to go out and get a kennel and crate, so we're thinking of putting him in the bathtub for the night. Would this be a good idea, or would letting him have free roam of the whole bathroom be a better idea? He seems to not be able to craw out of the bathtub, but if we leave him there, he just keeps crying all night. Is this normal? Will he get over it in a couple of days/weeks? All advice is welcome, even if it doesn't fit the topics.
Thanks in Advance.
Old January 8th, 2006, 01:04 AM

I'm not the puppy expert, but I don't think that a tiny puppy who is used to being with its mother will enjoy being in the tub. I think that might even traumatize him. The breeder didn't tell you what to expect? I find that pretty shocking!

I know it has been suggested here that puppies might be calmer with a ticking clock to simulate the mother's heart beat.

One thing is certain, the doggy would have been better off staying at the breeder for at least one more week. Normally, the breeder should keep the pups with the mother and the litter until 8 weeks. You are going to have to socialize this doggy with everything so that he doesn't become fearful or aggressive.

Good luck. I know in the morning, there will be better advice.
Old January 8th, 2006, 01:10 AM

We adopted the puppy from a shelter and we don't know if the puppy stayed with the mother or not. The dog seems to go to sleep when its in my lap, but wont when its in the bath tub, just keeps crying. Hopefully someone will have better advice, but thanks for little tidbit about the ticking clock, guess I'll go try that out.
Old January 8th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

The bathtub is definitely not a good idea. Remove all your clothes, and lie in the tub... you will find it's a very cold spot. I'm assuming as it's a chi mix that it is very tiny. Your little pup needs warmth and a comfortable spot to snuggle down in. The pup will feel the cold much more because it's tiny... make sure it's kept warm and that it eats small amounts regulary. Chi's are tiny so they get dehydrated rapidly and can also have low sugar levels from not enough food intake. Until you can get some proper supplies, use a laundry basket, cardboard box or plastic tub for the pup to sleep in so it has sides and keeps the heat around the pup better. Also, fill a plastic pop or water bottle with warm water and snuggle is under a blanket so the pup has something warm to lie against.
Old January 8th, 2006, 09:50 AM

You can't put a tiny puppy in the bathtub and expect it not to cry all night. It is a terrible idea, and will traumatize the pup forever.

When we got our puppy a couple of months ago, we made a make-shift bed with a box, but also cut one end, so pup can get out to pee. Put some warm blankets inside. We put this next to our bed on the floor. We layed newspaper everywhere on the floor.
And then barricaded the area so that it was high enough so puppy couldn't escape during the night. If she cried during the night, I would just drop my hand down the side of the bed and comfort her, and she would go back to sleep.
The first night I had to get up twice to let her outside to pee, but after that she slept through the night.

From the first night we got her, we have had no issues, she is happy, and we all get sleep. She is now 5 months old, and still sleeps next to the bed, in her bed, and still barricaded. I am home all day, so we don't need a crate, as I am home to let her outside regulary.

Please don't put pup in the bath.

Ebony - miniature schnauzer
Old January 8th, 2006, 12:50 PM

Quote:
We adopted the puppy from a shelter and we don't know if the puppy stayed with the mother or not.
Thank you for adopting this furry. We see so many people with the latest popular dog on here that they bought from a bad breeder, so I wrongfully assumed that you got him from a breeder, too. I hope all is well with your doggy this morning.
Old January 8th, 2006, 02:01 PM

Prin - don't worry about it.

So I didn't get any sleep last night, ended up letting her sleep in my lap while I watched tv. I went out and bought one of those dog bed things today, we're thinking of putting a bunch of blankets in it, and setting it next the bed tonight and hopefully she'll go to sleep. Ahh, we still need to potty train her, it seems liek she'll poop on the newspaper, but she'll pee anywhere else. I would take her outside, but living in Virginia, its freezing this time of year.
Old January 8th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

As she's a chi mix so most likely will be tiny, why not consider litter box training her as you mentioned the weather is nippy right now? Many Chi owners do this. Get yesterday's news or pine pellets for the litter pan. Right now, a boot tray would work best and then you can graduate to a small litter box.
Old January 8th, 2006, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDLuver
As she's a chi mix so most likely will be tiny, why not consider litter box training her as you mentioned the weather is nippy right now? Many Chi owners do this. Get yesterday's news or pine pellets for the litter pan. Right now, a boot tray would work best and then you can graduate to a small litter box.
Hmm litter box training sounds like a great idea! Can anyone point me to any links with how to train a puppy to go in the litter box? How old should I start potty training, and how do I get her to go in the box? She's been peeing on this little rug near the bottom of my stars for awhile, and it seems liek thats all she'll pee in now. Any links/help would be appreciated.
Old January 8th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Senior Contributor

May I suggest a pillow up by your head? I have small dogs and they slept in the bed with us from day 1. I just can't handle the night cries of a puppy in lonesome mode. Maybe have it in the room with you on a pillow by the floor with a teddy bear?
Old January 8th, 2006, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija
May I suggest a pillow up by your head? I have small dogs and they slept in the bed with us from day 1. I just can't handle the night cries of a puppy in lonesome mode. Maybe have it in the room with you on a pillow by the floor with a teddy bear?
I was thinking of letting it sleep in the bed with me, but I tend to move around a lot, don't want to accidently roll over her in the middle of the night. I'm thinking about using the doggy bed tonight, placed right beside mine. Do you go to work during the day? And if you do, how do you feed the puppy? I'm scared of putting a lot of food out because I don't want her to over eat.
Old January 9th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Corky was tiny as a baby and a winter puppy too. We bought a quilted, cat igloo-type bed for him. He also had a piece of fake fur which he drug into the igloo with him when he went to bed. We put the whole thing into a large cardboard box next to Mom's bed. He loved it and was snug as a bug in a rug!
Old January 9th, 2006, 01:35 AM
Senior Contributor

i only work half days. I just left a little food out for the girls when they were puppies. Are you going to crate your puppy when you are gone? Make sure the little darling is safe while you are gone. They can get into so much if they are let loose. As for rolling on your puppy, well I guess it could happen, but you get used to having the little farts in your bed. As they get older they do move out of they way. Missie only weighed 800 grams when I got her so she was quite small. The little twerp screeched like the the first 10 min. she was on the floor. I put her on the bed and she slept up by my face. I must warn you though... puppies piddle in the bed.. LOL I found that out with all my pups.
Old January 9th, 2006, 01:39 AM
Senior Contributor

I forgot to tell you.. when I tried the littler box for Missie, I found litter 8 feet from the box. Turns out she like to dig in it. I trained her for pee pads.
Old January 9th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

There was a really good informative site about litter training and indoor potty training but I can't find it now.
Old January 9th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Senior Contributor

I found this link....

http://dog-litter-box.dogs-central.com/train.htm

As for the feeding,at this age your pup should be getting fed 3-4 times a day.Maybe you can have someone come in during the day to feed him????

Or if I recall,there is a timed feeder.

As for having him sleep with you,if you are worried about squashing him(which can happen),then maybe you can pick up a playpen....Or a large box.Or if you are talented,you can make one with plywood.....
Old January 9th, 2006, 09:44 AM
-

I put some articles on my site about how to get through the first few days with a new pup, housebreaking, etc. You can check it out if you like.
Old January 9th, 2006, 01:55 PM

Thanks for the reply guys. I went out and purchased an exercise pen (that can be manipulated into several shapes) and a doggie bed. I sectioned off a part of my kitchen, thats right under the heating vent. I placed the dog pen in it, along with some water, and a covered most of the area with newspaper. Last night I played with Lily for half an hour. She got sleepy around 10, so I placed her on her bed, and she went to sleep. Around 11 I woke up to crying, went downstairs to check it out and she had pooped and peed on the paper, so I went ahead and cleaned it up, went into her pen, played with her a little and she went to sleep again. she would wake up every 2 hours, starting at 11, 1, 3, and 5. I'm at work right now, but my father is at home to feed her for the day, but tomorrow, wednesday and thursday, no ones going to be able to stay home with her. I'm thinking of feeding her at 8 AM, 3 PM, and 8 PM for everday. When I let yesterday, She was crying so much, I felt kind of guilty for going. An hour and a half later, I can hear her still crying before I open my door. I'm scared that tomorrow, when I leave her alone, she's gon be screaming her brains out for 7 hours.

glasslass and Shaykeija, how old were your puppies when you left them alone, and did they cry a lot, cause it seems like thats all Lily does when I'm not home. I feel guilty that shes just crying.

BMDLuver, I'm going to just go out and get a litter box, hopefully she'll realize to pee int ehre, if not, I guess I can try pee pads.

mona_b, I'm thinking of going out and buying a time feeder today, and hopefully setting it up to release food every 4 hours. If I can't find one, I'll probably end up feeding her only 3 times a day, instead of 4 times.

StaceyB, thanks for the link, I'll be sure to check it out as I need all the advice I can get.

Hopefully tomorrow, when I leave her home alone, Lily wont cry. I'll try to get pics of her up later for everyone to see.
Old January 9th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Rottie owner and lover

Harley was 9 1/2 weeks plus 4 days. I went out without him for short periods to get him used to me leaving. Well needless to say, he did not care, he loved his crate.
Old January 9th, 2006, 02:20 PM
-

I would use the pads not litter. If you want you can put the pad in an oversized litter pan. Dogs don't use litter like cats do. Cats will move stuff out of the way to use the area again but dogs don't do this, they won't use a dirty space. Don't cover the whole area as it just says you can go to the washroom anywhere. The pads have a scent that will attract your puppy to eliminate there. I would pull up the pad when you get home and continue your training outdoors.
Your puppy is crying so much because you respond to it each time. She knows that this is what she needs to do to get you to come back and comfort her or give her the attention she wants. Only respond to the ones that say I need to go to the washroom, ignore all the others unless of course it is pain. If you listen to them you will learn which is washroom.

Most "normal" dogs will quiet within a half hour after you leave. They can also hear /smell you when you come home. If you want to know for sure how long she cries then I would record her.

Last edited by StaceyB; January 9th, 2006 at 02:23 PM.
Old January 9th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by funk3r
She got sleepy around 10, so I placed her on her bed, and she went to sleep. Around 11 I woke up to crying, went downstairs to check it out and she had pooped and peed on the paper, so I went ahead and cleaned it up, went into her pen, played with her a little and she went to sleep again. she would wake up every 2 hours, starting at 11, 1, 3, and 5.
dont' play with her when it's time for her to sleep. If you need to get up to clean, do so, but then it should be back to bed, not playtime. By playing with her you're rewarding her for crying/whining. Is she sleeping in your room? If not, you may want to set up a small crate or area next to your bed. She may cry less often if she feels secure - by being next to you.

Quote:
I'm at work right now, but my father is at home to feed her for the day, but tomorrow, wednesday and thursday, no ones going to be able to stay home with her. I'm thinking of feeding her at 8 AM, 3 PM, and 8 PM for everday. When I let yesterday, She was crying so much, I felt kind of guilty for going. An hour and a half later, I can hear her still crying before I open my door. I'm scared that tomorrow, when I leave her alone, she's gon be screaming her brains out for 7 hours.
7 hours is too long for her to be alone, IMO. My pup is almost 10 mths now, and I still don't leave him crated, alone, for 7 hours. If my bf or I can't come back within 5 hrs, I put him daycare for the day, or arrange for a friend/family member/neighbor to come over and let him out & play with him.

Our pup did cry when we would initially leave the house. I felt aweful too! He generally stopped 10-15 min after I'd leave though. Leaving him w/ a stuffed puppy-kong helped a bit.

Quote:
I'm going to just go out and get a litter box, hopefully she'll realize to pee int ehre, if not, I guess I can try pee pads.
my friend box/pad trained her little dog... she started w/ the pads, and moved them near a box, then into the box. Her pup never liked the feel of the doggy-litter, so she continues to use the pads, and it works great. I don't think the dog will just "realize" to pee there though...you'll have to teach her.
Old January 9th, 2006, 03:46 PM

I'm thinking of doing the pads, just went to check some out at petsmart. I guess tonight, I'll just clean up the mess, and go back to sleep. I dont keep her crated all day. I have an exercise ring set up, about 6 feet by 6 feet thats in my kitchen. Theres a bed, a pee area, and a food and water dish in it. I think this might be sufficient for leavin her a lone for 7 hours. But if that seems to long, I could always ask my nieghbor to come over and play with her for awhile.
Old January 17th, 2006, 02:05 PM

Thumbs up

I found a great website for an awesome product for anyone who wants to/needs to train their dogs to go inside. It's www.wizdog.com, and they offer an awesome indoor potty for dogs. You won't have to spend money on doggy pee pads, and it will keep your dogs feet from getting wet and tracking pee through the house.
It's terrific for older dogs or sick dogs who can't go out for walks!
Personally, I think this is just an awesome invention!