Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 12th, 2009, 02:16 PM

Smile Male Yorkie Marking problem

I have a 15 month old yorkie that first belong to my son son but he is a cross country truck driver and it got to be to much having little Johnny with him so we have taken him in. We also have two other dogs and two cats which are all females. We have a Basset hound and a American Eskimo both female and both our cats are female. Johnny! The Yorkie will pee leaving a trail behind him as if he was practicing to be a fireman, he knows he is doing wrong cause when you catch him at it he will try to run and hide from us. I take him out and he will still pee as if he never relieved himself. This little guy must be fool of pee cause he does this often and god forbid you leave him for a second he will leave a trail the size of a foot ball field...He has never pooped in the house and I am grateful for that much.. I however am lost on how to stop this kind of behavior. I have looked high and low for the answers and even as my vet but he never has the answers either. Any help from anyone would be so appreciated.

Now another problem we are having is with our American Eskimo! Tinkerbell. We take the dogs out to our local park and walk the trails with them but she is making it hard to do when she wants to bark at everyone that goes by us and it scares them. She likes to jump on people and I am having a hard time getting her to stop this behavior. Now please tell me this is a puppy thing and she will grow out of this or is this one of the things that American Eskimo's do? Again any help would be so appreciated.

Thanks
Hugz
Gizzy
Old October 12th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Senior Contributor

If your dog does not behave off leash, why are you letting her off? Off-leash parks should be held as a reward in your dogs eyes, not a form of excercise. It gives your dog no boundaries and structures - you're essentially telling your dog, go where you want - do what you want - interact with who you want. If you have not established proper manners beforehand, my first piece of advice would be to keep her on-leash, even if you go to the dog park with your other dogs.

As for the barking, this is a behavior that is common in the A.E breed. Does she do this on-leash and in your home as well?

For the marking issues - is the yorkie neutered? Are your female dogs spayed? Has your vet checked him for any bladder issues?

If this is a marking situation and not a house-training or health issue, you will need to ensure that all areas are cleaned with proper solution so as to remove any smell. Do you find that he's marking on certain things, or does this behavior happen anywhere?

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 12th, 2009, 02:45 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
If your dog does not behave off leash, why are you letting her off? Off-leash parks should be held as a reward in your dogs eyes, not a form of excercise. It gives your dog no boundaries and structures - you're essentially telling your dog, go where you want - do what you want - interact with who you want. If you have not established proper manners beforehand, my first piece of advice would be to keep her on-leash, even if you go to the dog park with your other dogs.

As for the barking, this is a behavior that is common in the A.E breed. Does she do this on-leash and in your home as well?

For the marking issues - is the yorkie neutered? Are your female dogs spayed? Has your vet checked him for any bladder issues?

If this is a marking situation and not a house-training or health issue, you will need to ensure that all areas are cleaned with proper solution so as to remove any smell. Do you find that he's marking on certain things, or does this behavior happen anywhere?
OMG sorry I forgot to mention that my dogs are always on a leash when taking them out anywhere so she does this on a leash and it scares the people walking up on us..They want to pet her but with her behavior they don't dare take the chance...lol...My hubby will take her and try to change her focus to something else or make her lay down and he holds her down till she stops barking but as soon as we come upon more people she starts all over...

As for my yorkie he has been to the vet and don't seem to have any health issues. I was concern that he may have diabetes cause he also drinks a lot of water, way more then either one of my other dogs do. He is neutered and Gabie my Basset hound is spayed but Tinkerbell isn't yet..My vet will not spayed them till after there first heat cycle and she is in heat now but Johnny was doing this long before her coming into heat.

Thanks 4 your quick reply
Hugz
Gizzy
Old October 12th, 2009, 03:02 PM

I would put a belly band on him until you get the problem under controll to help with the mess and smell. I use cheapest maxi pads I can find to put inside the belly band. Until your female is spayed it's going to be a problem. He is also a terrier breed and they are stuborn. Please don't give up. Try to take him out on leash to potty, and more often as he is a small dog, and can't hold it as long(smaller bladder). Limit his access to all rooms until he is doing better. That way you know he is getting the pee and poop done. Above reply was right about cleaning all the pee areas right. You have to get that smell out or they will just keep goin back. Hope this helps.
Old October 12th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
OMG sorry I forgot to mention that my dogs are always on a leash when taking them out anywhere so she does this on a leash and it scares the people walking up on us..They want to pet her but with her behavior they don't dare take the chance...lol...My hubby will take her and try to change her focus to something else or make her lay down and he holds her down till she stops barking but as soon as we come upon more people she starts all over...

As for my yorkie he has been to the vet and don't seem to have any health issues. I was concern that he may have diabetes cause he also drinks a lot of water, way more then either one of my other dogs do. He is neutered and Gabie my Basset hound is spayed but Tinkerbell isn't yet..My vet will not spayed them till after there first heat cycle and she is in heat now but Johnny was doing this long before her coming into heat.

Thanks 4 your quick reply
Hugz
Gizzy
Thanks for clarifying Gizzy!

Does your AE respond and understand the 'sit' command? Instead of forcing her to lie down on the path (which is asking her to take a very submissive posture to strangers, and it's not natural for a dog to do this - I can see why she would resist and the behavior would continue or potentially get worse) ask her to sit and face the handler.
Obviously this will not work if she has not mastered the sit, which you are going to need to start working on in your home and then outside in front of your home and farther and farther from your home.

Instead of taking her on the path at this point, I'd suggest taking her for walks by herself in less busy areas if possible - so you can focus on her training and really ensure that you can remove her to the side and put her in the sit as people pass.

If she is on leash, there is no need for her to be jumping on strangers. If you put her in a sit and people want to pet her, generally by facing away from the people passing and doing the same with your dog will let other people know that your dog is in training and to not approach her. The key here is prevention at this point. How does she greet you and your family when you come home? The same way? If so, you'll want to certainly start teaching her that jumping is not a proper way to greet anyone.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 12th, 2009, 03:40 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by katb View Post
I would put a belly band on him until you get the problem under controll to help with the mess and smell. I use cheapest maxi pads I can find to put inside the belly band. Until your female is spayed it's going to be a problem. He is also a terrier breed and they are stuborn. Please don't give up. Try to take him out on leash to potty, and more often as he is a small dog, and can't hold it as long(smaller bladder). Limit his access to all rooms until he is doing better. That way you know he is getting the pee and poop done. Above reply was right about cleaning all the pee areas right. You have to get that smell out or they will just keep goin back. Hope this helps.
I have read about this belly band and was thinking of trying that next...I have some diapers here that I am using for my Tinkerbell cause she is in heat and making a mess of things and even tried that but this little guy peed right through them some how..I think maybe they are a bit to big on him...lol...I really think that he is going to be a tough one to break but I am a tough old bird and he is just way to cute not to try everything I can till he is broke..I have never had so much problems with pottie training not even with my kids...This little guy is going to give me a run for my son's money..lol..

Thanks
Hugz
Gizzy
Old October 12th, 2009, 03:48 PM

Smile

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying Gizzy!

Does your AE respond and understand the 'sit' command? Instead of forcing her to lie down on the path (which is asking her to take a very submissive posture to strangers, and it's not natural for a dog to do this - I can see why she would resist and the behavior would continue or potentially get worse) ask her to sit and face the handler.
Obviously this will not work if she has not mastered the sit, which you are going to need to start working on in your home and then outside in front of your home and farther and farther from your home.

Instead of taking her on the path at this point, I'd suggest taking her for walks by herself in less busy areas if possible - so you can focus on her training and really ensure that you can remove her to the side and put her in the sit as people pass.

If she is on leash, there is no need for her to be jumping on strangers. If you put her in a sit and people want to pet her, generally by facing away from the people passing and doing the same with your dog will let other people know that your dog is in training and to not approach her. The key here is prevention at this point. How does she greet you and your family when you come home? The same way? If so, you'll want to certainly start teaching her that jumping is not a proper way to greet anyone.
Wow I want to thank you so very much for all your help on this...I am going to work on her till I get this behavior under control..Your right she does jump on us as well..She goes crazy when we go out and come back in even if you only go for a shot time she is like a wild child...Another problem we are having and I almost forgot that one is when you try to approach her in a discipline way she will pee a little.

Hugz
Gizzy
Old October 12th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
Wow I want to thank you so very much for all your help on this...I am going to work on her till I get this behavior under control..Your right she does jump on us as well..She goes crazy when we go out and come back in even if you only go for a shot time she is like a wild child...Another problem we are having and I almost forgot that one is when you try to approach her in a discipline way she will pee a little.

Hugz
Gizzy
The peeing during discipline is generally a dogs way of saying they understand that you are the boss - it is submissive behavior.

When she jumps on you and your family, are you yet doing anything to discourage the behavior? If not, what is your reaction? And if so, how are you trying to discourage it?

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 12th, 2009, 06:49 PM

Smile

Quote:
The peeing during discipline is generally a dogs way of saying they understand that you are the boss - it is submissive behavior.

When she jumps on you and your family, are you yet doing anything to discourage the behavior? If not, what is your reaction? And if so, how are you trying to discourage it?
Well I am bad about letting her jump on me but my hubby on the other hand will just tell her not to jump thinking she will understand that..I keep telling him she doesn't have a clue what he means by that and unless we both do something about it she will always do this...So training time in our house for all the dogs before they get to out of hand and then we won't want anyone to come around nore will we be able to take her anywhere..

Again thanks
Hugz
Gizzy