Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 28th, 2010, 01:34 PM

White labradors

I have a pair of female white labradors in Alberta. They are awesome looking dogs love the white out of them. BUT always a but, with the recent temp changes they seem to be losing there under-coat!!!, they don't seem affected one way or another does anybody have any comments. The reason I throw it out there is this is there second winter here and never noticed these changes before, they come from Arizona so asking the question there seems pointless. We've made some diet changes about 5 months ago to raw if anybodies asking.
Old January 28th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Investigative researcher

A possibility is seasonal flank alopecia, seeing as how your dogs are southern born, and now live here. Is the thinning/shedding on the sides mostly?

Check this out:
http://www.hilltopanimalhospital.com...alalopecia.htm
Old January 28th, 2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleRR View Post
A possibility is seasonal flank alopecia, seeing as how your dogs are southern born, and now live here. Is the thinning/shedding on the sides mostly?

Check this out:
http://www.hilltopanimalhospital.com...alalopecia.htm
absolutely only on the sides!!!!
Old February 2nd, 2010, 05:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Labrador Retrievers are double coated and it is normal for them to shed their undercoats. Depending on the dog it can happen all year long or once a twice in a major shed. Your dog won't necessarily shed the same time each year. It may appear to be on the sides right now. You can see yourself where the undercoat is heaviest, that's where you will see the most hair coming out. Your dogs are probably fine and normal but I can't see them. If you are concerned about their health, by all means, consult your VEt. My boy is shedding right now.

And pardon me, but just a mild correction. There is no such thing as white labs. Properly they are called yellow. The yellow can range from very, very light in colour to a dark, almost red, called fox red. The three official colours for Labs are black, yellow and chocolate, with a fair range of tones in the latter two. If you know this then my apologies but calling Labs white puts us Lab people on alert for BYB, which are known to try to cash in on a normal colour by giving it a different name.

Last edited by Longblades; February 2nd, 2010 at 05:08 PM.