Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 3rd, 2011, 03:35 AM

Is Drontal Plus making my dog sick again?

My little pom has just recovered from diarrhea. When he was seeing the first vet for diarrhea and vomiting, she suspected my dog might have worms. Although the test result was negative, 1.5 Drontal Plus tablet (22.7mg per tablet)was prescribed. My dog is about 9 lbs. Her initial treatment for diarrhea was not successful because the dosage was too low. Later, another vet has successfully stopped the diarrhea. She nevertheless suggests that I de-worm my dog.

Last night, the dog was fed with the medication. He has kept me up all night, panting, passing gas, having diarrhea and seems to be very uncomfortable.

I researched online, the dosage seems to be ok. Very few side effects were reported. But why is my dog having so much trouble with it? I hope I don't have to run to the vets again since we have already made three trips in the last two weeks. Sigh....
Old November 3rd, 2011, 09:01 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

One of our dogs also reacts to Drontal that way. As I recall, the effect went away in about 24 - 30 hours. If he doesn't get better very soon, at least touch bases with a phone call to the vet and ask for some advice. If nothing else, it gets it on record that your dog had this reaction. Make sure you ask them to put a note in your dog's file. There are other alternatives they can use.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 3rd, 2011, 09:51 PM

Hazel, glad you shared your experience, thanks.

My dog was in so much agony that I had to give him Tramadol early this morning. He is ok today, though didn't really wake up until afternoon. Didn't find any worms in his stool either, which was a bit on the soft side.

We will stay away from Drontal from now on.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 09:56 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Glad he's better! Definitely let your vet know what happened so they have it in his record.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."