Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 7th, 2006, 12:51 PM

Unhappy New Outdoor kitten found

My Kids Found this kitten at their dads' house so I took it in! It is eating just fine(Its mean when it is eating) Everytime it poops in its litter box there is still poop on her butt. It gets all over everything if I don't catch it in time. Also sometimes it hasn't even poop and its like it seeps out of her butt. I have not noticed any worms and I have looked so what do I do? I can't really afford to take her to the vet but I do want to take care of her. I am just constantly wiping her butt all day!
Old November 7th, 2006, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorem View Post
I can't really afford to take her to the vet but I do want to take care of her.
Sorry but you can't have one without the other.
Old November 7th, 2006, 01:18 PM

Smile Vet or other methods

I would take her to a vet if there is nothing else that I can do at home! I just don't want to find out that there was another option that I could do at home, after I took her to the vet and spent bookoo amounts of money for something that I could have taken care of myself
Old November 7th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I doubt anyone here will offer up any "at home remedies". especially since this is a kitten. and being new to your home, this kitten needs to be seen by a vet anyways for a once-over. an initial checkup with a vet is a must with any new pet.
Old November 7th, 2006, 01:41 PM

Unhappy Thank you

I am new to this! Thank you!
Old November 7th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Boss-lady!

If the poor little mite has diarrhea, get it to the vet ASAP. THe little ones can dehydrate and die very quickly. Good luck.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old November 7th, 2006, 01:55 PM

Her stools are soft but not diarrhea! Its like she doesn't realize she has to go! She is using the litter box and she doesn't actually poop on stuff it just seeps a little! I'm trying to find a vet here that is good but inexpensive! I'm working on it! Thanks!!
Old November 7th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Formerly hgd24

Unfortunately, as part of pet ownership, you do at times have to spend money on vet visits that may seem non-essential after you've paid out $50-100 and been told that there is nothing medically that can be done to help, but that's part of the package when you take a pet into your home.

If proper medical care is not affordable the pet should be given to a friend who is willing to take the responsibility (for medical costs, food, attention, love, etc) or it should be brought to your local animal shelter in the hopes that someone with the ability to take on those responsibilities can adopt him/her.

Responders here are not yelling at you, they're just letting you know that if anything seems out of the ordinary to you, you should see a vet as serious conditions can start out small and seem insigificant but they become life-threatening very quickly. If you're kids were sick, you would take them to a doctor right? Please take this kitten to a vet or surrender it to a willing friend or local shelter...
Old November 7th, 2006, 03:19 PM
-

I agree with the others. You are going to have to get the kitten to a vet as soon as possible before it gets sicker. :sad: Good luck and please post with an update.
Old November 7th, 2006, 04:01 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Please look up your nearest humane society in the blue pages of your phone book (government listings) and ask them to refer you to a low cost vet in your area. This kitten needs vet assistance asap, if you treat it at home or do nothing, the kitten will likely die. I doubt you would want to explain to your kids that this is the way to properly take care of an animal.

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old November 7th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgd24
If you're kids were sick, you would take them to a doctor right? Please take this kitten to a vet or surrender it to a willing friend or local shelter...
As shocking as it may be a large number of people don't take care of their children or get them to the Dr when they need to go. I'm not saying that's you moorem however having a kitten is a bit like having a baby and they need extra special care.

It is good advice to surrender the kitten if you can't find any help through the humane society or other supports. It's a difficult decision but much more responsible than letting the kitten get sick and suffer. It's also very traumatic for children to have to watch these things play out badly. Good luck.
Old November 7th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Queen

Gosh I just noticed this part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorem
Its mean when it is eating
You know the kitten has been starving and likely had to fight for every scrap with litter mates, that is why HE SHE is acting "mean". Cat's also can get quite grumpy when they don't feel well. Please let us know how things go for the baby.
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:58 PM

as to the "mean when eating" part

Obviously the little kitty needs vet attention. If you adopted a stray, she/he needs shots for HIP, Feline Leukimia, rabies, and distemper (I think that's spelled right). Being an outdoor stray, the kitten might have been exposed and needs the vaccinations. A good, low-cost vet can do the vaccinations for roughly $30--I'm not sure how that translates into other currencies...

As to the meanness during eating, this is a solution I've found with my kitty Mirri--he would not share food, and would growl and hiss ferociously whenever I came near while he was eating--he was a completely feral cat when I caught him (my introduction post tells the story). I started setting the food dish in the middle of my living room floor and would walk around doing daily chores or watching tv, whatever, while he was eating. I would only allow him to eat in the middle of the floor--if he didn't come out to eat, he would eventually get hungry enough to come out--I did NOT break down and let him eat in solitude. Once he became accustomed to this, I would sit next to him while he ate--NO TOUCHING... yet... After about 2 days of him being used to me sitting next to him while he ate, I would very gently pet only his mid-back to his tail--do not stick your hands near the kitten's head if it shows aggressive behaviour or you WILL get bitten and/or scratched!!! When I first started touching him, he would run and hide, but I would sit next to the food dish until he came out again, let him take a few bites, and then continue the process of gently petting his rear. It took about a week and a half before he would easily approach me and the food dish, and I could fully pet him while he ate. I think it's the physical contact and him realizing that I wasn't trying to take the food from him that finally made him stop being evil, and now he eats next to my other two cats with no problem, and is very cuddly and affectionate towards me and the other cats. I'm not sure who it was, but an earlier post made the comment that he thinks you are trying to steal the food--it's that thought process you have to try and rehabilitate. It takes A LOT of patience, but it's really not hard if you have the time to devote to it. Like I said, my kitten was completely feral and it only took a week and a half, and he was about 6 weeks old when I got him.

Good luck with your new kitty, and keep us updated!!