Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old March 19th, 2007, 12:31 PM

hello can anyone help

Hi my name is Irene
I am a new member and sort of new to looking after a dog. so lots of help needed, We have had jasper for two years now he is a cross breed between a staffy and a german shepherd beautiful temper and fun to be with. we had adopted jasper when he was six months old approx from a dog shelter and could not live without him now. He has only two faults that i would like help with,
first little fault is that he likes to chew the mail and does not like the post man at all
second little fault is that he does not like cats and goes mad when he sees one
How can i stop jasper we have tried shaking a bottle with stones in that has worked for many things but not for these two problems.
Could anyone also give me some advise on what a soild mass is since jan 31st jasper has developed nose bleeds' we have had him to the vets and they done lots of tests they removed a mass in jan but all came back fine, then on friday night about 10pm his nose started to pour with blood we could not stop it at all we took him back to the vets were he had stayed in for two days, i have just picked him up this afternoon He has a soild mass in his left nostril which they have taken biopsies for analysis again, I dont want to lose jasper i've just got to know him. i need to keep his blood pressure down to stop his nose from bleeding so if anyone can help with the two problems that would be great
Old March 19th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Senior Contributor

The first problem is easy, isn't it, or am I missing something? Keep him in the house when the postman passes and if he's grabbing the mail as it comes in the slot, fit a wire or plastic basket on the door so it falls in there and he can't get at it.
For the blood pressure problem, is he on medication for that? I would think just generally keep him quiet and away from situations where he might overdo things (as when the postman comes ).
Fingers crossed that the vet has a solution to what ails him.

Last edited by badger; March 19th, 2007 at 01:59 PM.
Old March 19th, 2007, 02:35 PM

Thankyou for your reply I need to keep jasper calm so that his nose does not bleed thats easier said than done. its like jasper can tell the time he can be chewing on a bone playing outside but postman time he knows he is coming and will stop what he is doing go to the window and wait for him we have even opened the door and let the postman see him. he would not bite the postman just very playful loves everyone he meets
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Senior Contributor

If you are worried about him jumping up, have him on leash when the postman comes. In fact, if keeping him calm is a problem, there is nothing wrong with using the leash to keep him close to you in situations where he might get excited and drive his blood pressure up (and yours).
Got a picture?