Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 16th, 2010, 09:27 PM

Camping with dogs...

Ok, this might be a really stupid question but I am sure you can all offer me some advice. I have camped with my dogs before but it has always been at my parents camp/cottage. I have taken my one female chi camping with us in a tent and she was fine but my other two dogs have never camped in a tent before. We want to take my family *3 kids 3 dogs* camping in the bush, in a tent. I need some tips as to how to get a dog use to the tent? It is really difficult? My fear is the dog trying to escape and running through the tent. Now at my parents camp she pretty much runs free she doesn't go anywhere and there is really nothing she can get into. I give them their flea drops every month that kills eggs and all that stuff and they have never gotten fleas *crosses fingers* so i am not to worried about that. anyone have any advice/tips about camping with dogs? Also is there a sunscreen that can be used on dogs? My chi has a habit of getting sunburned.
Old August 17th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Senior Contributor

I used to camp on some show weekends because I'd rather sleep in my tent with my dogs than in a Motel room where dogs aren't allowed. The cattle dogs would sleep in my big dog trailer, shelties in trolleys or crates I'd bring into the tent. I would tie up the fly screen so the dogs could run in and out of the tent, but from one side of the doorway I would run panels from two puppy pens out in a circle and back to the other side of the door so they had a biggish area to play or toilet in. Because I was there the dogs never tried to escape but then I would never leave them unattended unless they were crated or secure in the trolleys, or trailer. Both my sister and I have found the dogs love camping in tents with us, so hopefully yours will be fine too.
Old August 17th, 2010, 09:59 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Do you have a yard available, maneater? We would always pitch the tent for a few days in the back yard and let the dogs get used to it there. If you have a tent that doesn't need staking, you can pitch it in the living room. All of our dogs used to love the tent and going camping. (We've not tried it since moving up to 8 dogs, though ) Normally we'd use a tie-out at the camp site since we were always right there to supervise, anyway.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 17th, 2010, 01:17 PM
-

Hazel's suggestion of setting up the tent in the backyard is a good one.

Regarding the sunscreen, you can use human brands as long as they do not contain PABA otherwise you will need to get one that is approved for pets. Another option would be to put a light t-shirt on them.
Old August 17th, 2010, 07:33 PM

I camped with Scruffy for the first time this past June and it went great. Much easier than I thought it would. Sleeping in the tent wasn't a problem. I think he was quite happy to sleep that close to me.
I'm looking forward to doing it again.
I also set it up in the backyard ahead of time, though, just so it wouldn't be too strange at the campsite.
Old August 24th, 2010, 08:16 PM

well i am going this weekend. set the tent up in the back yard and i couldn't get my dog out of it.. guess that is a good thing. she will be on a tie out at camp in fact all of them will be. i would set it up in my living room but it is a 3 room 12 man tent and i would have to move all my stuff out of my living room. wish me luck!
Old August 28th, 2010, 09:14 PM

Good Luck Maneater!

When we camp now .. we are in a 33 ft trailer with a big wooden add-on room.. but we did tent in prior years.

I find the total outdoor lifestyle is just as exhausting for the poochies as it is for us.. and after a full day of outdoor activities, frog chasing, swiming, ball catching......and a long walk before sunset.. my poochies are pooooched out for a good 12 hours and actually groaning at me as I crawl out of bed to watch the sunrise... I swear they look at me like.. 'no mom!!!' I'm always the first one up.. .have always had time to get the coffee going and I've never actually had to drag myself out of bed to take them out first. They are literally zonked and sprawled out in sweet slumber!
Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:05 AM

well i was rather suprised! My lab who i was most worried about because she has never been in a tent and would be required to be leashed on a tie out at all times becuase of the camp ground rules did quite well. She was pooched at the end of the day, and didn't actually get up to get out of the tent till 10 am the next day and we pretty much had to drag her out. we found a little section of private beach to let her off the leash and run around. I don't know if any of you have ever been to pictured rocks in munising but it is so pretty.
Old September 4th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Senior Contributor

I use to camp in a tent and then tent trailer with 2 dogs. Sheltie and long haired dashound every weekend in my younger years. They were both very well behaved in the tent. We just went in the tent to go to sleep and they just came in with us and didn't try to get out.

hazel idea is a good one.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)