Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 9th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Thiotrol Spray for Skunked Dogs

Have any Cdn. users tried this product? I read about it on another forum - the poster said it is marvellous for removing odor from dogs that have been skunked. I googled the product and found it on my American website. Asked at Vet's, Groomer's and Pet Stores with no luck. Finally posted a message to original poster (the other forum is not like this one - no PM facility) - but she saw it - she bought it in Quebec. Other Cdns. were trying to find product as well. No one wants to try and order from US in today's climate. Husband is going to Ottawa by train at Christmas so was wondering if anyone in Ottawa/Hull area had tried this product. I gather it is pretty strong and I know it is not to be used around face. My Eskie has had 2 very close skunk encounters this week - thankfully he was spared. Plan A would be to take him to groomers but no doubt they will be closed when the worst happens. I do have the "recipe" should he be sprayed, but this stuff sounds good. Groomer's assistant has recently had luck with plain toothpaste as well. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old October 10th, 2006, 12:24 AM

Never heard of it, but next time I go get dog food, I'll check to see if they have it.
Old October 10th, 2006, 08:50 AM

2 near skunk misses consider yourself extremely lucky

I currently have 2 bottles of skunk off and 10 tubes of toothpaste for skunk protection

the skunk off makes the dog tolerable and the toothpaste works great and can also be safely used on any items which get spray on them

hope u never need it
Old October 10th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Prin and pug lover. When I Googled the Thiotrol, the Skunk'd shampoo was shown as a product to be used after the Thiotrol so I thought maybe they were made by same company. I can get the shampoo without any problem. pug lover, really happy to hear you have lucked out with the tooth paste as well. My dog's Groomer decided to try it and heck, if it works that is all I ask. Although the Thiotrol sounds "easier" with a double coated dog. The 2 near misses were just over the course of 3 days. The skunk lives next door. I seriously hate the 11:30 p.m. and 5:30 a.m. walks when my husband is away - that is when Mr. Skunk (and family) generally appear - and my Eskie is of course a major BARKER.
Old October 10th, 2006, 11:52 PM
-

I just read this in the Oct./06 edition of Harrowsmith Country Life Magazine from T. Beatty of Scarborough, Ontario:

"After reading your article on skunks (Reeking Havoc" June 2006), I thought I would let you in on another way to get rid of the smell after pets have been sprayed. Someone once told me to pour on some Coca-Cola when my dog was sprayed. Rub it in, then rinse it off. Worked like a charm - - even on the dog collar."

Fortunately... , I have never had this problem, but because I usually have cola (whatever brand) in the house I would try this if I ever had to.

BTW, if anyone here does try it, please post with the results.
Old October 11th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Been there with the skunk attack...LOL

The best and cheapest thing to use is water and vinegar...Works wonders......
Old October 11th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Senior Contributor

I guess I will just have to restock my favourite beverage - Coca-Cola - and to think I gave it up! And I always have water and vinegar on hand. I just know it is going to happen when my husband is away and in middle of night. What appealed to me about the Thiotrol Spray is that apparently it neutralizes odor pretty fast - could spray and then hopefully race to vet's or groomer's - I have seen a white Poodle who was skunked - would hate to see my double coated Eskimo - who is something of a wuss when it comes to his own person - skunked. Coke just has so many uses!
Old October 11th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I never heard of it, my dog just got skunked two weeks ago in the face
I went to the groomers and the vet clinic, they were sold out of shampoo for skunked dogs.

I end up buying a shampoo called "Skunk Off" which worked pretty well.

The vet clinic also recommended for me to use Lemon Juice and rub it into her fur and then rinse.
Old October 11th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Senior Contributor

poodletalk, I will add lemon juice to my arsenal. I did note that when I asked at vet's and groomer's about the spray their Skunk shampoo supplies were dwindling fast and it seems every week when we go to socialization there is a dog getting de-skunked in the tub!
Old October 11th, 2006, 11:40 PM
-

The whole principle is acid separates oil and makes it easier to wash off with warm/hot water. The subsequent shampooing with dish detergent ( you need the detergent properties of dish soap rather than shampoo) then can take care of the rest of the oil (you hope anyway). The reason the vinegar and baking soda recipe works so well is that it has a high foam reaction. The acetic acid will be stronger than the acid in coke and the baking soda also neutralizes stinkies pretty well. Baking soda in my humble opinion is the greatest and least toxic cleaning product on the planet!!!.
Old October 12th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Senior Contributor

I love Baking Soda too. When all else fails, it will remove just about anything. I also have the dish soap at the ready - Dawn and a milder form. Tonight we have a whole tail of burrs to deal with and my Eskie is such a wuss it won't be pretty.
Old October 12th, 2006, 11:20 PM
-

Have you tried hair oil to remove them? I forget what the product is called, but if you go to the "ethnic" section of hair products in the drugstore you'll find it. Just spray his tail or coatyour hands with it and stroke his tail. MUCH easier that the rip, separate and yank mode (kidding...). I've never tried Mane & Tail on burs but I'll bet that would be okay too.

Almost forgot olive oil ~ it works too! Just a little on your hands.

Last edited by mummummum; October 13th, 2006 at 01:56 AM.
Old October 13th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks, mummummum - I almost put olive oil on his tail but was afraid to in case it made the burrs harder to remove. I was all over the Eskie board looking for solutions. Next time - which will likely be next week I will try one of your suggestions. We managed to get the burrs out with resorting to the scissors - thankfully, he so loves his tail, but it was hard. His tail now looks as if it has split ends. The 2 I removed last week were huge and right under his ear near his eye, just touching them made him cry and he was trying to remove them himself - finally the nail scissors came out and for once he sat still. Fortunately I have lots of olive oil - extra virgin of course for the little prince!
Old August 24th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Boxer Owner

Thiotrol Spray for Skunked Dogs

My Boxer, Max, has been skunked several times in the past few years. I try to be careful letting him into the back garden on summer evenings, but the encounter with the skunk happens too fast for me to intervene.

I have found Thiotrol Spray Thiotrol Shampoo and another product named Skunk-Off very effective for neutralising the horrid skunk odour. First, I wash Max's face and mouth with the garden hose on a fine spray, then I wash his coat with the shampoo and let it stay on for 10-15 minutes. next, I rinse of the shampoo, dry Max off with a large towel and finally spray his coat with the Thiotrol Spray or with Skunk-Off. The skunk stench is replaced with a sweet, cloying but not unpleasant smell.

Thiotrol Spray and Skunk-Off can also be sprayed on affected clothing, floors and carpets.
Old August 30th, 2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by va7oj View Post
My Boxer, Max, has been skunked several times in the past few years. I try to be careful letting him into the back garden on summer evenings, but the encounter with the skunk happens too fast for me to intervene.

I have found Thiotrol Spray Thiotrol Shampoo and another product named Skunk-Off very effective for neutralising the horrid skunk odour. First, I wash Max's face and mouth with the garden hose on a fine spray, then I wash his coat with the shampoo and let it stay on for 10-15 minutes. next, I rinse of the shampoo, dry Max off with a large towel and finally spray his coat with the Thiotrol Spray or with Skunk-Off. The skunk stench is replaced with a sweet, cloying but not unpleasant smell.

Thiotrol Spray and Skunk-Off can also be sprayed on affected clothing, floors and carpets.
Thanks for the tips! I had read through this thread before thinking that I was lucky my doggies hadn't had an encounter with a skunk (yet). However, this morning they definitely did just as I was leaving for work! They get to spend today outside and I will tackle the smell when I get home. Not so worried about my short hair dog but my Golden Retriever/Pyranees might be another story!
Old August 30th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Senior Contributor

as an added tip, if you happen to have the unfortunate accident of hitting a skunk and having the car sprayed, skunk off is perfect for this, spray the under carriage of the car, I went to a car wash, then I opened the truck and put a few drops of skunk off in there, on the inside carpeting of the car, front and back seat then I put some in different spots under the hood/motor....wow....no skunk smell anymore.