Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old December 20th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Was it the right thing to do?

A Globe & Mail columnist agonizes over whether or not to let his beloved dog go.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...=kirk+williams

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old December 20th, 2005, 05:08 PM

I don't agree. I think it was just convenient. I think rather than treating the separation anxiety like you would in a younger pup, they went directly for meds, which as far as I'm told, are not that effective in dogs (and can have the reverse effect).

I don't think arthritis and a couple of pills a day is worth killing a dog. And I definitely don't think drywall is either.

The truth is, the dog might not have missed the other dog- instead she might have missed the exercise during the day. Two dogs get a lot more activity than one lone dog, if you're not a careful one dog parent.

Our old lab had bad arthritis and we did everything to accomodate her. She was incontinent and we had a huge absorbent dog towel. She was deaf, so we retaught her everything at 12 or 13 with hand signals. You know? We only put her down because she ended up going into a 2 hour long seizure that she wouldn't come out of.

Maybe I had elderly dogs for too long, but I think they deserve to get back every minute they have ever given to us.
Old December 20th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't think I have any opinion,who am I to judge??
However he says she enjoyed her last day on this earth,was playing and happy,although limping slightly.It does not sound like she was suffering too much.
I think I would have given her some more time,until it became obvious she was ready to go.
I've had several elderly animals PTS,but never before,they"told"me to let them go:sad:
It's a difficult,heartbreaking and often guilt-ridden decision to make:sad:
Old December 20th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm with Prin and Chico, the dog didn't seem to be in any kind of crisis. But everyone has a different take on quality of life. I would be waiting for that 'I'm ready', too.
Old December 20th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Senior Contributor

I am afraid I do not see why he put her down either. My poodle at 17 was incontinent and almost blind and fortunately not in much pain - but it was only when he deceloped cancer and fought valiantly that we helped him end a couragous struggle. I don't see that dog as having been in any crisis. They might have gotten another dog for her?
Old December 21st, 2005, 12:37 AM
Senior Contributor

The way he describes her last day, even though he's trying to justify his decision, it's clear that she was enjoying a quality of life that does not warrant the action he took. She was able to play, to enjoy her food, to connect with him.

I'm sorry. If that had been my dog I would have looked into many other options. Re-training the dog, getting another dog. C'mon--they even had offers from dog sitters and close friends to sit with her while they were away and they chose to have her pts instead ????

I guess some people can only commit to an animal when it's convenient.

Well I hope he doesn't develop a disease that makes it inconvenient for his partner to travel without him. What then?