Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 8th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Home alone, how many visits?

OK, I'm going away for two weeks and asked a friend to take care of the cats. She used to have several but developed allergies and had to give them up. She agreed right away. Since she lives close by and is not currently working, it seemed like a perfect fit.

However, in speaking with her, I realized that she didn't see the task in quite the same way as I did; that, for instance, if she skipped a couple of days - for any reason - it wouldn't be a big deal, as long as food and water were available.

It's not as if my cats will be waiting at the door to greet her or clamouring to play - they'll be in the closet until she leaves. Based on past experience they might emerge after a few days out of curiosity and she may get a hip check on day 10, but no guarantees. Anyway, I'm kind of obsessed with them being checked every day, given a little canned food, talked to briefly, scoop the boxes. Maybe a half-hour presence. Am I'm overreacting? She's not irresponsible and I know people who have comfortably left cats with only one or two visits a week.

Your opinions, please.
Old December 8th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

visits

They are your babies and of course you need to feel that they are being taken care of on a daily basis. Our neighbour, at our old location, used to go daily for another neighbours cat. It seems like that is the norm but LR may have more insight. Hope you enjoy your holidays!
Old December 8th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Senior Contributor

I just finished babysitting my neighbour's cat. I went at least once a day, and sometimes twice. I stayed long enough to feed, pet and brush him and when I took care of him in nicer weather, I took him out on his leash which he enjoys.

BUT he is alone and loves people. If there had been a cat companion with him, I wouldn't have gone twice a day.

Also, if the cats hide (like mine would) not much point in someone hanging around, in fact strangers terrify them. My cats need only each other to be happy. (and FOOD of course!)

Badger are the cats getting along now, since Simon's neuter? Can they be left loose in the house together?
Old December 8th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh yes, things have definitely improved and they are sharing the apartment fairly happily. Simon has suddenly started playing (by himself) and Badger is fascinated with that, but there's no real interaction. Sometimes they end up on the bed together or on the ladder for a better view out the window, but there has been no aggression. Simon 'reads' Badger perfectly and knows when he is too close for comfort. So I am not anxious about leaving them alone.
Old December 8th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Badger I know exactly how you feel,luckily I have a son who can stay in my house with the cats....but at one time he was not available and a friend came once a day to feed them.
It was really upsetting to me to leave them,they are used to canned food twice a day,playtime etc....but as soon as we were on our way I was ok.
Coming back home we were snubbed for a while...but they soon got back into their old routine.
Many people say,leave them with a big bowl of food,they'll be ok,they are only cats But I don't even leave them on their own for a weekend,I am just a big suck!!!
I think it's important your friend goes every day,to feed them and make sure they are ok!!
Old December 8th, 2004, 01:53 PM

Well I'm on the other side. I wouldn't mind if someone came in once a day or every second day. But my cats are not the social kind. I have to find them to pet them except for one. I also give my cats dry food.