Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 15th, 2008, 07:55 AM

Unhappy Georges' cherry eye

My bulldog puppy has a cherry eye... it popped out suddently on monday night... he was playing outside and came back in with it :sad: We were worried so I went to the vet the next day. She tried to put it back in but Georges didnt like it, he was hurting, so she said that she wasnt be able to do it and that he will need surgery. We're going for it, hopefully it will work and he's going to be castrate at the same time... in the mean time we have to put ointment in his eye twice a day. Should i ask for the vet to verify his other eye? How much should it cost?

a worried mommy
Old October 15th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Not to worry about the cherry eye. I have had a few dogs that had this. I aswell had the dogs sterilized at the same time so it cuts down on the cost of doing the surgery for the cherry eye since the dog is already under. I do not remember the exact amount but it was under $100.00.

Best to ask the vet how much for both surgeries.
Old October 15th, 2008, 08:19 AM

that's what i did, she's going to call me back with the price. I just wanted to have an idea of what it should cost. i know i shouldnt worry but it just look so ugly that. Did you dog got it removed or just tucked back in?
Old October 15th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Senior Contributor

They were removed. Luckily for one of the dogs I adopted him from an excellent no kill shelter on the South Shore of Montreal and they had it removed before I picked him up. Lucky for me this was included with the adoption fee.

Other dogs I have taken in as fosters were equally done by rescue but there is one dog that I had taken from someone who did not want the dog due to the cherry eye. This I payed on my own with the sterilization and then placed the dog once he was ready to go. The total cost was $275.00 (including the sterilization).
Old October 15th, 2008, 08:30 AM

Thanks, it is helpfull!

I don't now if the vet is planning on removed it or just tucking it in... i had to much things to talk about with her (it was our first visit and i was there for an hour...) and i didnt knew about the condition to begin with. I'll ask when she'll call back.
Old October 15th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Can the vet try again to put it back?Have you called your breeder and talked to him/her?

I have been reading more and more about this,and at times sergery can be prevented.It's also been said that with this breed,you really need to be carefull with "dry eye"

http://www.trimbullbulldogs.com/cherryeye.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjyBLzCN1qY

http://www.bullwrinkle.com/Assets/He.../cherryeye.htm
Old October 15th, 2008, 08:43 AM

when the vet tried to put it back Georges was clearly hurting. so tried 3 times. The gland is a bit irritaded. She gave me a ointment. Thanks for the vid link. Georges cherry eye is bigger and redder than the one in the vid. So i wouldnt try that myself.
Old October 15th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Senior Contributor

I would not try to manipulate it either - leave it to the vet. Good luck and keep us informed.
Old October 15th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Senior Contributor

The vid was stating that it can be popped back in.....

I would also give the breeder a call.If any of their dogs have had cherry eye,they can explain everything to you.

Because it is red and inflamed,it will cause some pain.The ointment will bring the inflamation down,then I'm sure the vet can "tuck" it back in.

As it was stated in one of the links,you need to be careful that the dry eye doesn't occur after surgery especially in this breed.Another reason to talk to the breeder.
Old October 15th, 2008, 09:31 AM

hmmm i'm not sure the breeder will be a big help... it was her first time at breeding bulldogs and she told us she probably won't do it again cuz the mommy collapse and she had to be operated... all the 9 puppies were bottle fed... she kept a female for her...
Old October 15th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scathach View Post
hmmm i'm not sure the breeder will be a big help... it was her first time at breeding bulldogs and she told us she probably won't do it again cuz the mommy collapse and she had to be operated... all the 9 puppies were bottle fed... she kept a female for her...
Great, a BYB........

This breed doesn't give birth naturally.They have to have a C-Section.Hopefully she gets the mom fixed AND the female she kept.I take it she didn't have any health/genetics testing done?And I don't mean by her vet.

Well I hope George grows up to be a happy healthy dog.

Good luck with the cherry eye.

Tags
cherry eye, puppy, vet