Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old May 16th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

lol

Wonder how long it will take them to realize they did not include a phone number?
Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:22 AM
All the world a stage :3

new rules

so slander is now ok provided the person you're talking about is stupid?
Old May 23rd, 2005, 01:04 AM
banned user

How can you slander the unnamed?

I need to go back and re-read this thread. Maybe I missed something.....

Last edited by Cactus Flower; May 23rd, 2005 at 01:12 AM.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 01:26 AM

Wanna hear some more crazy stories? My latest two (enough to make anyone crazy!): Daisy, a 6 yr. old 100 lb Bull Mastiff mix needs a home. People want to keep her in the home until she is adopted, which is great as I don't have foster homes. I take two weeks of screening this wonderful family, get a home visit done, have the family go 3 times to meet this dog, take the dog one night to have her vaccinated and bring her back to the home, and the day before the adoption, the family (who has the dog) changes their mind. They're not letting the dog go, they're not ready.... I blasted them (I'll never get the money for the vaccines), but this dog is so neglected I can't help but think of a way to try and get her out of there.

Other story, get an e-mail forwarded from a rescue asking if I can help with a 6 yr. old rottie mix (they're full as we all are). I call the lady to see how "urgent" this is.... She has 4 dogs, they all have to go. I need to come and get at least 3 of them, the big one she wants to keep in her home (here we go again!). I don't have a foster home for the big one, so I agree (until I get a foster home) and make arrangements today to go get the 3 little ones. I get t here, the husband is all pissed, doesn't want me to take the dogs today (I bummed a lift for these 3 dogs). Thought I was coming to see the dogs, his wife omitted to tell him I was taking them. Turned into a big mess, ended up taking two with the promise they can come and get one on Tuesday to bring to the hospital to their mom to say goodbye as it is the Mom's dog and she is in some hospital situation for long term....

AAARRRGGGHHH! I came home saying, once again, the more I rescue dogs, the more I hate people. Some people are such losers. She was telling me she had placed 4 through Animatch, I think Lucky Rescue, some others, and she wondered why they didn't want to help her. In the end, she wanted to keep all of them at home until they were placed and couldn't understand why Animatch wouldnt help find homes. So I explained what just happened to me, and she understood, finally. We'll just see if he comes back on Tuesday night or not. But it is such a crazy household, you can't help but want to take the dogs out. And the Daisy situation, it is soooo bad. Drunks, dirty as can be, never goes out but on the front lawn twice a day, sometimes runs out of food, a really bad family. Have changed dogs like shirts as well, have beat their dogs (according to the neighbour) and most likely will want to dump her in a few weeks or months. My family will not want her anymore, they already backed out after all the crap that went on anyway. It is sad, because once you've met these dogs, you want to help and sometimes you are hellpless.

Had to rant some, my turn..... With the 4 dobermans at the same time, I am going nuts. I don't need loser families like this. One dog at a time please, and let's be serious in finding them homes......Losers they all are
Old May 23rd, 2005, 01:28 AM
banned user

Ok, I just went back and read every single post.

Thalia, did you mean something besides "slander", maybe? Because slander is when you knowingly spread around false information about an individual that damages their reputation.

Are you talking about the folks involved in rescue sharing their experiences with us?

Could you please explain what you take issue with here? I'm genuinely interested.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 01:54 AM
All the world a stage :3

Thumbs down Shakers and Movers... and sitters and gabbers.

Maybe the email about the border collie was sent by someone on this forum.
Maybe it was sent by a friend of mine.
Maybe it was sent by Me.
Maybe the person who sent it has suffered more than you'll ever know and is only trying to get this dog into caring hands so it won't be left uncared for when that person kills themself.
How do you know?

Let me tell you, the person who sent that email?
No, it wasn't me,
But it very well could be a friend of mine. I have a lot of friends.
I try to educate my friends on such matters as adoption and abandonment but some people just don't get it.
Some never will.

Does it matter if it's slander?
It's a bunch of people sitting around talking about people we think are stupid.
Ok, so they're stupid.
Stupider than us.
We get it.
What's the benefit of sitting around talking about people we think are stupid?
To make ourselves feel smarter?
As if everyone on this board hasn't had a hand in saving a life or at least caring for one, and everyone here should already know they're doing the right thing without sitting around complaining about people who aren't "good" enough or "smart" enough to know to do the right thing.

How are they supposed to know what you know?
Magic?

If people are stupid, Educate them.
That's the way people learn.
Just because something was taught to you doesn't mean it was taught to everyone. Not everyone has divine guidance, or ANY guidance.
So show them.
Maybe that's hard,
but we know there's a problem...
OBVIOUSLY we do, because we're sitting around complaining about it
So lets do something about it?
Or at least spend our time doing something more potent and effective than reminding ourselves of how amazing we are compared to other people.

To quote Moontamara,

If you call someone a moron or stupid, etc. it reflects badly on yourself...

And I agree with that.... Somewhat.
Not that I don't find some of these examples of emails to be rather amusing...

But still,
See a problem, you can either ignore it, or just sit there and look at it and hate it and tell other people they should hate it like you hate it, and get a whole club started to hate that problem while you're at it.
Or, better yet,
you can fix it.

Yes, you people are fixing things already. You're cleaning up after other people's messes, and you're working hard and you get no sleep and I get the idea,
and there are people in this world who just go around making things that need fixing,
and breaking things,
and being general jerks

But do you need to make yourself seem more human by pointing out the brutal idiocy of others?
When people see this, even when I see this and i know you're right,
They're not going to want to listen to you.
They'll think you're fanatics and self-righteous, arrogant and scores of other things
because you say things that are hurtful and spiteful and mock them and chastise them for reasons they may not even understand.
So maybe you're right.
Will they know that?
And who will it benefit?

So.. that's my two..five..eighteen.. a hundred and six cents...
I don't want to offend anyone or insult anyone,
I'm just trying to offer up something thought provoking.

If someone has something (nasty or otherwise) to say to me as a result of my post, please PM me, because think it's a little off topic from the original thread anyways.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 02:37 AM
banned user

Well, the title of this forum is "Foster talk-Rescue talk". I would assume that this means people can talk about the pros and cons of fostering and rescuing here, which is exactly what they're doing.

Quote:
When people see this, even when I see this and i know you're right,
They're not going to want to listen to you. They'll think you're fanatics and self-righteous, arrogant and scores of other things because you say things that are hurtful and spiteful and mock them and chastise them for reasons they may not even understand.
If someone who plans to surrender their pet were to come to a foster/rescue-talk forum (and why would they?), maybe seeing what these folks have to put up with on a daily basis might lend them some understanding? Or, perhaps they'll sit down and evaluate the excuse they were about to give for surrendering their pet in the first place. And maybe- just maybe- they'll say "gee....this IS a bit unfeeling of me, isn't it?".

Or, like you said- they'll just get angry and defensive, and the point will be missed. But those aren't the type of people you are going to be able to "change" or "educate" via messageboard anyway. Are they?

Quote:
Or at least spend our time doing something more potent and effective than reminding ourselves of how amazing we are compared to other people.
I sure am having trouble finding anyone here who is patting themselves on the back or stating how amazing they are. Some members have commented that they think these people who rescue and foster are amazing and wonderful (and I do agree). I can't imagine there is anything wrong with giving kudos to whomever we feel deserves them.

Most of us have talked about, in one thread or another, something we've regretted doing when we didn't know better (in regards to pet care). These foster/rescue members have been no exception to that. Nobody here learned by "magic". And quite a few have felt the sting of their own lack of education, learned from it, and come to boards such as this one to learn more and share more.

I'm not sure what you are so angry about, Thalia. Maybe you've done something like what is being discussed here in the past, and the discussion has therefore touched a nerve? Or maybe you have issues with a specific member that has posted on this topic?

Or perhaps you're just having a really bad night?

I hope that whatever it is, it passes peacefully. Nothing that was posted here was intended to make you as furious as you are coming across.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 05:53 AM
banned user

Thalia

How is this any different than what was said in this thread that you complained about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia is Crazy
So now it's gone beyond me just being put out to take care of other people's reckless and disgusting behavior,
I am SO SICK of people not spaying or neutering their cats!
I do not have a problem dealing with a stray cat, but when the cat belongs to someone and keeps having kittens, THIS i can't deal with.
Why doesn't EVERYONE get it?
IT IS SUCH A SMALL PRICE TO PAY FOR A PET!
(this was quoted from another thread about dumping kittens in her garage, or otherwise)
Seems the same to me, except that someone didn't call before dropping off the kittens.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 07:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Thalia,I too read through all the posts again,looking for slandering..
What I found was examples of peoples cruelty and uncaring attitudes...and the struggles of rescuers to save and re-home very unfortunate animals.
These rescuers will probably never get a pat on the back,or become rich,the reward for what they are doing is the satisfaction of saving a life,giving a dog a reason to wag his tail and a kitty a lap to snuggle up in.
I don't understand your anger,maybe like Sneaky says,your past experience made you angry,but if so,it's grossly missdirected.
We all in this Forum have one thing in common,our love for animals,I am simply a person who love and care for my cats,the rescuers go 100 steps further and love and care for any pets not getting the care they need and I for one salute them.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Gee Thalia, how come it's okay for YOU to vent about people who are "reckless and disgusting" who won't s/n their pets? Someone on this forum could have intact pets and I'm sure they are offended. They may even think you are "fanatic and self-righteous"...?

Yes, I too "am SO SICK of people not spaying or neutering their cats!" AND of people thoughtlessly dumping their pets for frivolous reasons and then spewing abuse at us because we cannot come and get the animals TODAY, but for some reason it's not o.k. for me or others to say this?

Quote:
Or at least spend our time doing something more potent and effective than reminding ourselves of how amazing we are compared to other people
I do all I can. I admit it's not a lot but it's the best I can do. I in NO way think I am "amazing" and am certainly not patting myself on the back for the little I do. That is kind of presumptuous of you to say we're doing that, no?

I see nothing wrong with us venting our frustrations. Do you know what it's like to have something threaten to kill or dump their animal on the street if you don't come and get it NOW? It's heartbreaking that we cannot save them all, and a little venting (as you did) helps keep us sane. Sorry it bothers you so much when others do it.
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Long Term Member

Thalia

I think you said some things that are contadicting your own behavior and it makes me mad. I think that if you don't like the discussion then leave. Who said you had to read this?? You say the same things yourself... no names are being mentioned here, so whats the big deal. People have a right to express themselfs (as do you.) Your opinion was that this is somehow wrong... okay fine. The thing that bugs me is that you have said such simmilar things your self... so I don't understand what your getting at...
My cockatiel Jayson- 3months
Hailey- My cockatiel-2 years :love:
Old May 27th, 2005, 11:20 AM
banned user

Hey Luckyrescue If You Need Help Iam Willing To Help You Out