Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 7th, 2002, 02:56 PM

Siberian Husky Depressed?

My wife and I are concerned about our 2 year old Siberian Husky 'Bud'. He seems depressed and is acting totally out of character. Anyone who knows Siberians knows that they are independant, full of energy and always looking for a job to do.

Over the past week or so he has totally changed. We find him in places in the house where he knows he is not supposed to go, and has rarely ever gone. His usual commands go unheeded for example when we tell him to 'go to your place' (a big stuffed bed where he keeps his toys), he lays his ears back and almost cowers like he is scared. He used to be very obedient with that command (about as obedient as a Sibe can be). Also, he wont leave our side now. If we leave the room he follows us wherever we go. He never did that in the past. He knows he is not to go upstairs and has never done so in the past but he keeps trying to go there now. He knows when it's time to go to bed and where he used to go right to the door, now he runs upstairs! He doesn't play with his toys or chew on his rawhides either. Until last week that was his favorite pastime. He isn't even interested in the cat! Our usually talkative Siberian doesn't seem to want to talk anymore either.

The only thing that has changed around our house is that my wife is pregnant. Someone told me that dogs can pick up on that but would that explain the behavior?

We are worried about his health but he seems fine physically.
Does anyone have any ideas? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks for your replies,
e.