Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old April 6th, 2014, 07:08 PM

Exclamation Puppy training

How so I stop my 8 week old puppy to stop biting. He was taken from mom at 5 weeks old. I think that might be the problem. I advised not to do take away but family could not keep puppies. Dad is Yorkie mom is chihuahua
Old April 6th, 2014, 09:44 PM
Senior Contributor

That is way too soon to be taken away from it mother . The poor puppy, it has not learn everything it needed to learn from his mother and littler mates . Why was it taken away at 3 weeks early?? He could be teething and that is why he is biting . You could trying buying a teething toy for him but you CAN'T leave the puppy alone with it as he could chew off a piece and choke on it.
Old April 7th, 2014, 06:56 AM

I agree with BarkingDog. Puppy needs you now to teach him what he's missed out on from litter mates. If you got to this website "Wikihow.com" and type in "How do I teach puppy to stop biting?", there are step by step instructions to help you.
Old April 11th, 2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne&Co. View Post
I agree with BarkingDog. Puppy needs you now to teach him what he's missed out on from litter mates. If you got to this website "Wikihow.com" and type in "How do I teach puppy to stop biting?", there are step by step instructions to help you.
I agree with you guys. Biting is how puppies play with each other so it is natural for them to try and play with humans the same way. My puppies had this problem because they were also taken away too soon. The best way you can discourage this behavior is to yelp loudly, even if it doesn't hurt, this is the way the other puppies say "Ouch! Please stop!"