Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 29th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

A tribute to Cecilia

Toronto

A family lost a little girl, the world lost a friend.
This poor child was kidnapped as she slept in her bed, murdered and her body dumped in a wooded area. She lay there for months until a hiker found her remains.

This lovely child was sweet and innocent and loved animals.
God Bless Cecilia and we pray for her family to give them strength.

Police looking for leads in Zhang murder case

CTV.ca News Staff

Forensic experts are at work in a ravine just west of Toronto, searching for clues that might lead them to the killer of nine-year-old Cecilia Zhang.

Cecilia's skeletal remains were found Sunday by a hiker walking through thick brush in a Mississauga ravine, five months after the young girl went missing from her North York home, 50 kilometres away.

Police have not said if they know how she died or how long her body was in the area.

Investigators are now combing the area for clothing or any other clues that may lead them to the girl's killer. They remain tight-lipped about any leads they may have in the case, but CTV Toronto affiliate CFTO reports that no clothing has been found in the area.

At Seneca Hill Drive Public School, where Cecilia had been a Grade 4 student, the flag is flying at half-staff. Ten social workers and psychologists met with Cecilia's classmates and teachers Monday to help them deal with the tragedy.

"There's a time to mourn and there's a time to laugh and we want children to know that it's OK to feel both those emotions,'' said Jim Watt, Toronto District School Board superintendent.

"Our hearts go out to her parents, Raymond and Sherry, and our thoughts and prayers are with them," said a statement from a teacher the school.

Jack Jia, a friend of the Zhangs, told Canada AM the entire community is grieving the loss of Cecilia.

"We are... terribly saddened," Jia said. "She was a talented, gifted student and she loved playing piano, reading, and she was always playing with my two children."

Toronto city council observed a moment of silence in memory of the little girl, and Mayor David Miller said the development has touched him personally.

"I'm a parent of a young girl myself and it's just unimaginably horrible," he told reporters. "And they need to know we're thinking of them and praying for them."

Cecilia was last seen in her north Toronto home as she went to bed on Sunday, Oct. 20, 2003. Her parents awoke Monday to find her missing, sparking an Amber alert, a massive search and a series of televised appeals for information on the case.

A back window screen was found ajar in the Zhang home, leading to the abduction theory. Two phone calls to the family home, made from pay phones in the Brampton area before the kidnapping was reported, also lent credence to the kidnapping theory.

Investigators speculated that Zhang may have been kidnapped for profit, but no ransom claim was ever made public.

Police launched an international manhunt for the girl, working with both American and Chinese authorities. The crime was covered on the TV series "America's Most Wanted."

Zhang's parents had raised $85,000 in reward money; community members and police at one point topped the fund up to $165,000.

Cecilia would have turned 10 on Tuesday. Her parents issued a statement Monday evening to say they will go ahead with a planned afternoon birthday celebration, and then will ask the media to leave them to begin making funeral arrangements.
Old March 29th, 2004, 07:23 PM

Isn't that just horrible?!!!

And since we're on pets.ca, one question, did they have a dog?
Old March 29th, 2004, 07:38 PM
banned user

I hope the family can find some closure now.

I am heart broken that there is people out there that do these awful things to kids.
Old March 29th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

The family has pets I just cannot remember which kind.
Old March 29th, 2004, 08:22 PM

OMG!! I just reread my post and realized how cold I sounded...I am so sorry!!
But now I'm afraid I have to vent...
Every day children are starved, beaten, raped ( or molested as the court system likes to call it ) or brutally murdered!
I am no longer surprised by the scum that accompanies us on earth, however, I may be wrong, but some peoples parents.....
I am paranoid enough about my kids and we live near a small town, but to live in a big city I would be an overprotective FREAK!!!
Did they not have a security system? or better yet a dog?!! There is no way any one could get into or house without us KNOWING ABOUT IT!!!
I know this is not the time especially for the parents but the real victim is again a child!!
I didn't follow this case that closely because I knew in my heart that after a week had passed.... and this kind of stuff is just way too frustrating for me!!
So again I apologize for the earlier post..
Old March 29th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

The abductors used an extension ladder and sliced the screen to her bedroom window where they got in. It happened overnight in the very early morning hours.

So very very sad

Light a candle for this little angel who left the earth far too soon.
Old March 29th, 2004, 09:13 PM

Thumbs up

"good gurl" Luba

"you do a fine, fine tribute"...
such a touching gesture...

~~IF i didn't see a contribution devoted to Cecilia, i was going to write 1 myself cuz Cecilia & her family have been in my prayers since this first began...

but ya done good
Old March 29th, 2004, 09:17 PM

Luba,

Well, now I really feel like crap. . That poor family..
Old March 29th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Just keep her family in your thoughts and send some positive energy to the universe in hopes the evil doers will be found!
Old March 29th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Prayer for the Child~

For every child who cries at night
Alone with shame and pain and fright
For every child who wants so much
To only feel a gentle touch
For the beaten child, who cries in pain
Whose tears run silent, like the rain

For the child used to satisfy lust
Who never learns to love or trust

For the child taken from her/his home
And made to feel so all alone

For the child whose home is just a shell
Where life becomes a living --heck--

For the child who smiles but cannot feel
Because of scars too deep to heal

For every child who yearns for love
I hope and pray to God above
To hear your cries and heal your pain
And give you back your life again

~~author unknown~~
Old March 29th, 2004, 10:54 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

I am in line for the family.

Where I come from we hold a conga line of prayers, good will and wishes. We dance the conga line to gather others in strength.
So I am forever dancing in line to bring this family some closure.

So much evil in our lives..we have to stop this...

Remembering Carlie Brucia...11 years old, would..should have been 12 years old two weeks ago.

Please Dear God , hold these children close.
Old March 30th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Very nice tribute Luba .....and very thoughtful.

God bless the family
Old March 30th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Senior Contributor

My thoughts and prayers are with her family.They can have peace now.

2 of my friends have lost their little girls to a monster

Little Kayla Klaudusz-1991

We all went on the search looking for her.

And

Holly Jones-2003

She dissapeard a day after we went to Mexico.I got the news when we came back.

These 2 beautiful girls lived a few blocks from me.And I knew their parents very well.Kaylas parents more.Kaylas dad(Steve) bowled with us.Kayla would hang out with my daughter.My daughter was a year older then Kayla.It broke her heart.

Holly lived 3 doors down from one of my best friends.

It just sickens me to no end.These monsters need to die a slow death.Not only that,they should let the public deal with them.

I kept my daughter in a bubble for the longest time.She was by me like glue.

If I recall,Cecilia had a cat.

RIP Cecilia.
Old March 30th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Mona I searched for beautiful little Kayla myself (hugs)
and Holly went to school with my sister in laws nephews.

My neighbour lost her 2 year old daughter, murdered by her husband whom the law said he had the right to see. He left her body in the woods, beautiful little Alexis Curry.

Oh how the children suffer needlessly at the hands of evil.
Old March 30th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Senior Contributor

But Luba,have you not noticed how times have changed?

When I was (much) younger,it was safe to go to school alone at 8 years old.It was safe to play on the streets.It was safe to go to the store by yourself.

It really makes me sick how parents now send their 6 year olds to the store on their own.The little ones are running the streets now.No parents around.They talk to strangers.I always taught Kyra NEVER to talk to strangers or even say hi to them.

Before I moves here,there was a family on my street.2 boys,4 and 6,4 year old was deaf.And a their 3 year old sister.They were always playing on the road,talking to strangers.The 3 year old was even up the street away from the house.Then the 2 brothers followed.I yelled at them to get back.I was yacking with my friend who lived next door.The mother finally came out.Called the kids,and gave them a wallop.We both freaked on the mother when she did this.I said to her what the ****** are you doing in the house and letting them out by them selves.Childrens aid was called.The 3 year old came out with sissors.Some people should just not have kids.

And with what's been going on,kids should not be out of their parents site.Just makes me sick.

I already had a bad experience with Kyra when she was younger.Some drunk tried to take her,right in front of me,and 2 other kids.Lets just say I had a sore fist and he had a sore eye.

I would kill to pretect my daughter.And I am sure others would agree.
Old March 30th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

SMH we all have those types of stories, everyone knows someone who's life has been touched by some creep.

When I was 4 a man tried to abduct me from the front of my home. I got away from him luckily, he ended up abducting a young boy later that same summer. Luckily someone took off after him in their car when they saw what happened. He ended up slowing down and throwing the kid outta the moving car.

It's all devastatingly real!!!
Old March 30th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Little Cecilia had two cats,she would have been 10 yrs old today,a sweet innocent little girl
It's unimaginable what the parents must feel,even though the whole city of Toronto is supporting them,at night they are alone with their grief and horror.
And somewhere out there on street walks a monster....
Many people cried for this little girl,including me and my thoughts are certainly with Cecilia and her parents.
"Prayer for a child"was very touching...and makes me remember the little baby who starved to death,I think a couple of years ago,because the mother did not feed him,somehow the symphaties were turned to her and she was free to go,nobody heard or cared about that little boys cries

Old March 30th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Senior Contributor

It makes me mad too, the mother "just didn't feed him." Unless they were both starving, what on earth was she thinking? What idiots, and its always the children that get it. The parents (as always) don't pay nearly enough attention to where their kids are. The same goes for dogs.

Maybe you can hire out your dogs for babysitters, Mona
Old March 30th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree Spoiled,but that was not the case with Cecilia,she was taken from her bedroom.
But in many other cases yes..
Lifestyles have changed now from when my kids were small,material things rather than family seems to be the most important and kids somehow get lost in the shuffle.
Too many latch-key kids out there coming home to an empty home,or maybe just hanging out at the mall.
Mom and dad have to work to keep their lifestyles and the importance of having dinner together,talk about problems at school etc...is in many cases forgotten,as are the children.
Old March 30th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Didn't they leave the window open?
Old March 30th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Spoiled,the would probably do a much better job at watching the kids then the parents.

chico,you are sooooooooo right.There are ar to many latch-key kids out there.And it's so very sad.Yes,I understand that now a days both parents must work.But for god sakes,have someone watch them so they are not left alone.

I can't get over the mouth on these kids.All the swearing.And I'm talking about the 5,6,7 year olds.

I'm not going to tell you what an 8 year old wanted to do to me.Lets just say it was sexual.It made me sick.

If anyone would like to send condolences to the family,here is the website.

ceciliazhang@ceciliazhang.org

I'm sorry,but I have a feeling she was watched before she was abducted.How else did the B*****D know that that was her room.And there were 2 pics on the website that they had for her when she dissapeard.The 2 pics where taken in the same spot they founf her body.
Old March 30th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Cecilia's window was vandalized she lived on the second floor and they needed a ladder to get to her.

This child was not a latch key kid.

Nobody is safe, whether you lock your windows or not there is always a way to get in! Security systems can be bypassed and locks can be broken, jimmied or tampered with through using magnetic devices and electronic rewiring.

Blaming the parents who are suffering is inappropriate.

It would be a different story if the parents were in some way involved with her disappearance and murder. The blame should rest, with the ones responsible for her death!!!!
Old March 30th, 2004, 06:52 PM

Luba, that was a lovely poem and I printed it off to pass around to a few friends. Thanks.

Mona_b, I am with you all the way!!! Whenever a child gets hurt now, family is almost always on my top suspicion list. And I'm not saying that Cecilias family is but, we all must certainly remember Diane Downs, Susan Smith ( crying on t.v. that a black man stole her vehicle with her babies in it ), and last but certainly not least the most horrifying one yet: Andrea Yates.
After these women, who their babies, should have known would DIE for them instead, watched them as they disposed of them like some people ( who we would criticize!!! ) dispose of their unwanted animals then naturally I have to wonder...
Only if the ****en bleeding hearts of this world would get their **** together and maybe bring the death penalty to Canada, ( and now with DNA tests, wrongful arrests should be eliminated )maybe we could start wiping some of this EVIL off the planet!!!
Old March 30th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Yes it is a beautiful poem.

One cannot help but have thoughts of 'I wonder' if the parents were involved. However, I do believe it is cruel to make any sort of distinction in that direction without cause to do so.

As Mona will remember the blame set towards the parents of Kayla back in the 90's and what they went through, it is unimaginable.

I could not imagine the severity of depression, overwhelming sadness, helplessness and guilt any parent goes through in this situation.
Old March 30th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, the blame cannot be put on the parrent's shoulders.
Old March 30th, 2004, 07:37 PM

I don't think anyone is putting the blame on the parents! I think in todays society parents have to be checked out!! Nobody is saying anything about Cecilia's parents, we're talking parents in general. We've all seen them in action. And when any death of a child happens, everyone one has to be checked out!!
Most child molestions happen from a parent or close relative
How can we trust anyone? No one knows what goes on behind peoples closed doors.. And there is no excuse when a parent is involved. Everyone gets on about the "poor" child but when their accused is brought to justice, some people say they have a right to live too. Why in the name of God are these people protected?
I'm sorry Luba you may get depressed about these situations but I get pissed off!!
Old March 30th, 2004, 08:53 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

My parents divorced when I was six years old. My father raised me and my two older brothers in Marathon, Fl. He flew for Pan Am out of Miami Int'l and would be away for weeks at a time. (Back in the sixtie's) We went to school, fished a lot, spear fishing too. Totally unsupervised unless you count the owner of the next door bait & tackle shop...my father would check in with him every few days. Once my brother had to peddle me on the handle bars of his bike to the doctors to have a trouble hook removed from my foot...my dad settled up with him upon his return.
Life was good. We did not have much but we were never concerned about sicko's lurking about. The thought never even crossed our minds.
It is a sad shame what has become of our society in just a few decades. The more time I spend around people the more I gravitate towards animals.
I want to move to a secluded Island .
Old March 30th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Just keep in mind every situation is unique and different.

We've all been touched by sicko's in some way, yes? But we can't let them distort our views of reality. It can be hard to trust be we cannot live our lives sheltered and afraid.

I am not 'depressed' over the situation with Cecilia, sad yes and p'd off as well.

BTW Karin what is a trouble hook? Thats a unique memory you have of your childhood
Old March 30th, 2004, 09:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I don't think anyone is putting the blame on the parents!
I didn't mean it that way.
Old March 30th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Hey whats important through all of this is that we each take away something we have learned or felt to embrace our children, family, loved ones and friends the best way we know how!!

So, my pets.ca family
(((HUGS))) to ya but only if you have no cooties

(Luba runs fast to get showered afterwards)