Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 4th, 2006, 06:30 AM

Dog have mistakes in crate, need advice

Hi everyone,

I have 2 mini schnauzers and the oldest of the 2 is 11 months old, she is crate trained but every since I switched their food from puppy chow to pedagree she has not been able to hold her poop, so she ends up going in the crate and making and very big mess......

Is it cause of the food change? should I go back to the original food choice? or is there something wrong with her cause the male which is 4 months old can hold it....

Please, if anyone has some advice I will greatly be appreciative of it.....

Thank you!
Old March 4th, 2006, 11:22 AM

How old is the youngest? Are they both unable to hold it or just one? Is it diarrhea or solid? Could be that the younger pup needs to go out more, or if diarrhea is involved could be a matter for the vet to figure out. Pedigree actually isn't the best dog food though, you should check out the foods forum http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53 there is tonnes of good advice there on which foods to choose.
Old March 4th, 2006, 02:26 PM

How old is the youngest? He is 4 months and the oldest is 11 months,

Are they both unable to hold it or just one? no just one and it the oldest that seems to not be able to hold it or she seems to go more often. Its one of the two

Is it diarrhea or solid? It is a soft bowel movement, not hard and not runny.

I had them on Puppy chow and then my husband came home with Pedigree, thinking it was better for them, I want them on Iams or Eukanuba.....but they get very costly.

Should I keep feeding them the Pedigree or should I go out and get them the good stuff?
Old March 4th, 2006, 03:36 PM

Iams is NOT the "good stuff" Where are you located? Is there a Costco nearby? If so I'd say this is your best bet for a low cost but good quality dog food. There are also some great holistic foods out there like Wellness or Wolf King but then you have to pretty much double the price.
Old March 4th, 2006, 03:49 PM

If your budget is tight and you have a costco nearby, you can opt for their Kirkland brand. The lamb one isn't so bad. And being the costco brand, it's about the same price as Iams (but better than Iams).

When you switched, did you do it gradually? You have to switch gradually over the course of a week or more. If you switch too fast, they can end up with diarrhea. Some dogs need more time than others.
Old March 5th, 2006, 07:56 AM

Smile

Thank you all so much for your help, and yes there is one close by.....my babies will be so happy...

Thank you Thank you!!!!!