Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old July 21st, 2008, 04:13 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Canned Food Advice

I have been feeding both my 2 cats the Venison & GP for about a month maybe a bit longer ! They absolutely love it! I tried the Duck and GP & they ate some but they dont wat it all like they do with the other.

I have 2 questions (Sugarcatmom!) First off are they eating enough? I can only seem to get them to eat between 1/2 can to 3/4 each per day. A couple of good things I have noticed are their poops are solid not runny any more! (sorry for the detail!) and secondly I think they both have gained some weight! Yay!! I dont mind the weight gain because they are both small cats. Tabitha has been 6 lbs and Bomber has been 8 lbs all their lives! it never has ever changed! and they are both 12yrs young! So it wont hurt them to gain a bit!

They are still eating the dry but not nearly as much.

Secondly is it okay to just feed them the one flavor? I worry they will get sick of this and then I will be stuck...If anyone remembers I have tried just about every brand on the market til Sugarcatmom suggested this one and it has worked..

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 21st, 2008, 05:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Glad to hear they still like the food! As for how much to feed, if their weight is good and the don't act starving all the time, then it's probably just right. Very loosely (because every cat is different) the guideline is 20-30 calories per lb of ideal weight, per day. So at say, 6 lbs, that would be somewhere between 120-180 cal/day. A half can of NB venison is about 78 calories, so if they're making up the difference with some kibble nibbles, then it's all good.

I generally think it is better to provide a bit of variety, if possible, kind of like not putting all your eggs in one basket. My cat insists on having something different for every meal, but if yours really like eating the same thing (and lots of cats do prefer routine) then I wouldn't sweat it too much. Maybe offer something else now and then, if for no other reason than to reinforce their appreciation for their usual food.

Do your cats ever go for plain chicken meat or small pieces of steak, etc? If you can augment their diet with some fresh food (not more than 10-15% or you through off the nutrient balance), that would also be beneficial.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:27 AM
-

I tried the Venison and GP Winston, remember you mentioned it in one of L4H's threads, neither of them liked it much. I tried the Wellness grain free, 1 yes 1 no. What other brands are good ones that come with a bit of gravy, any ideas?
Old July 22nd, 2008, 12:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
What other brands are good ones that come with a bit of gravy, any ideas?
Merrick tends to be more stew-like than pate, maybe something like that would go over better.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 22nd, 2008, 04:37 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

You could try some of the natures variety instinct canned foods. My picky cats love the rabbit variety. I recently tried the Before Grains canned chicken as well and they love that one too. Slowly but surely mine are liking the better quality foods. They're are more and more of them out there than ever before so I keep buying a few cans of different ones every week for them to try.

Cindy
Old July 23rd, 2008, 09:15 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Merrick tends to be more stew-like than pate, maybe something like that would go over better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
You could try some of the natures variety instinct canned foods. My picky cats love the rabbit variety. I recently tried the Before Grains canned chicken as well and they love that one too. Slowly but surely mine are liking the better quality foods. They're are more and more of them out there than ever before so I keep buying a few cans of different ones every week for them to try.

Cindy
Thanks, I will try both of them. I do mix water with their canned food. I also try different ones but I hate having to throw away their food because it has been sitting too long.
Old July 10th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well I thought I would update this thread since its been awhile!

Things are progressing very good with the soft food these days (knock on wood!) but previosuly I had tried almost every brand of food and the only one Tabitha would eat was the vension and green pea.....then she finally got sick of it and went on to just duck and green pea...and once again she must have got tired of it and would leave it. So lately what I have been doing is adding a new can to the mix each week to see what she will eat. WE have made progress..she will now eat:

Natures Balance Dick Van Pattens Brand ONLY!

Turkey and Giblets
Salmon
Tuna
Chicken and Liver
Venison & GP
Duck & GP

The trick for her seems to be giving it to her once a week and she will eat it but GOD FORBID you should give it to her twice in a row!

I am so very happy that I have made this change, their poops have also gone from being runny and bloody to harder formed poops! (yeah for poops!)
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 10th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Giving the same flavour twice in a row to a cat . Winston that is not allowed to be done, haven't your read the cat slave laws?

So glad to hear she is doing well on it.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 11th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

L4H I know! can you imagine ? they ate the venison for at least a month before they got sick of it...but they would snub anything else I left down..They must have got smart though cause they tried all those new flavors!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown