Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 9th, 2004, 01:41 PM

Turned Down for Adoption

This was on another forum.

Shelter turned us down (Very long) Your Message We've been dog hunting at the local shelter (s) and we found the right one, she was the best dog. We visited daily for 2 weeks, we spent time with her, we walked her and played with her. She had been there since February. We had seen her on numerous visits but never paid mind to her, because of her breed, Pitbull. I noticed that she was the only dog that sat and didn't bark when ppl came in she just wiggled her bum and tail. Well we asked to see her and we fell in love. All of the workers knew us when we came daily to see her, we wanted to be sure she was right for our little family Me and the kids 17,14 and 6. I'm sorry this is so long, i'm still grieving about this. The day came
when I said she's the one. I filled out the application. And they turned us down because ds has
a cat allergy. I pleaded with them and even came back to speak with the supervisor. I was told how it was unfair to the animal to be taken into a home and then returned to the shelter a few weeks later, blah,blah,blah. However they suggested that I should get one from a pet store.
I couldn't believe my ears, I asked them to explain how that was humane, buy a puppy mill dog, rather than save a 2yr old p.b. that has been overlooked for months.
Our search continues, looking for a young dog, not a puppy, but if the right one comes along, who knows what we'll end up with.

Thanks for reading this.
Carol.

She posted a bit later to say this is the Toronto Humane Society
Old July 9th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Senior Contributor

How nice that the THS is trying to drum up business for puppy mills by telling someone to get a dog from a PET STORE!!

I'm wondering if this woman's husband is allergic to dogs or if they are sure he's not.

I have to honestly say that most of the calls we get from people wanting to dump animals say they are allergic, even if they've had the pet for 10 years!!

Can you give me the link to this woman's post, or some way I can contact her? I know of a sweet, beautiful and gorgeous pit bull girlie looking for a home. She is a wonderful dog and perfect for a first time owner of this breed!

Here is the lovely Dottie, an affectionate wigglebutt who has great manners!
Old July 9th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Senior Contributor

What a load of bull! To not let someone adopt a DOG because of a CAT allergy! Well, now I am ticked off.
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:01 PM

That is a load of crap.There are so many people on this site, is there not something we could do,when these genius's at spca's come up with these
idiotic reasons?
This isn't the 1st time i've heard these un-informed twits sending people to puppy mills (ie pet stores)
Now i'm mad.
Rolly
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:04 PM

This family did everything right. For 2 weeks they went everyday to play with the dog etc... They obviously fell in love. What a complete let down. I suggested that she have a friend or another family member go adopt it.
Burns my a**

Heather
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I suggested that she have a friend or another family member go adopt it
OH, good idea! Let us know if she does it! I would...
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:09 PM

The rescue I foster for had to do that for my last foster boy, same shelter, THS. The know the lady from rescue, so she brought a friend and she adopted him. Thank God! He would have died in there!! Then they only charge $50.00 adoption fee for their dogs.

Heather
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:12 PM

Well,great ideas...if you ever need me to "adopt" dog or cat for similar reasons in the London,Ontario area...I'm game.
Rolly
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolly
Well,great ideas...if you ever need me to "adopt" dog or cat for similar reasons in the London,Ontario area...I'm game.
Rolly

Good to know! I will keep your name in my file!

Heather
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:19 PM

No problem Goldenmom..i work in our office (construction company) so can go anytime.
...email me..i check those hourly for jobs we are doing/about to do ect ect
Rolly
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:23 PM
A.R.Activist & Vet Assis.

Question

Sorry for my ignorance, but "who" has the cat allergy?
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shae
Sorry for my ignorance, but "who" has the cat allergy?

DS= Dear Son
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

What a shame!

I've heard some stories from THS that weren't so good before. From what I know, inside scoop tells me it's because of office politics. One person mad at another and so on....depends on the day you go and who's doing the adoptions.
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luba
What a shame!

I've heard some stories from THS that weren't so good before. From what I know, inside scoop tells me it's because of office politics. One person mad at another and so on....depends on the day you go and who's doing the adoptions.

They are unionized which causes all kinds of problems.

Heather
Old July 9th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Crazy just crazy why oh why must politics get played before the concern of the animal, what power trips these people must be on.

My daughter recently adopted a dog, and again I was shocked but in a different way. This is how it went.....

1. Walked into shelter
2. Saw and played with cute doggy
3. Said they were interested in the puppy (my daughter braced herself for a barrage of questions as she knew what I went through to adopt Buddy).
4. Lady said it would be a $50.00 adoption fee.
5. Daughter said ok , got out money while lady wrote up a reciept asked her name.

That was it, no references no vet check no nothin

I know she will make an excellent mommy but I was still non the less shocked at the non-concern for where this little guy was going.

I hope your friend on that site gets her dog in the long run I would go with the friend adopting it idea

This is a pic of my daughters dog, they seem to think he is a great dane, him and buddy play and play when they are together.....Finally a puppy that can wear him out.....lol
Attached Images

Old July 9th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Senior Contributor

That story is just incredibly cruel,not only to the people but the poor dog.
I would contact the OSPCA head-office or send them an e-mail at
www.ospca.on.ca
With all the dogs needing homes,especially Pitts,would they rather euthanize her.Makes me sick!!
Old July 9th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Diesel! Love that name!
He's a real sweetie!
Old July 9th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Diesel looks awesome

But I'm thinking part ridgeback
Old July 9th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
And they turned us down because ds has a cat allergy.
Where in the world did they think that one up? Does the THS not want their animals adopted? They are nasty people for doing that.
Old July 9th, 2004, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggette
Crazy just crazy why oh why must politics get played before the concern of the animal, what power trips these people must be on.

My daughter recently adopted a dog, and again I was shocked but in a different way. This is how it went.....

1. Walked into shelter
2. Saw and played with cute doggy
3. Said they were interested in the puppy (my daughter braced herself for a barrage of questions as she knew what I went through to adopt Buddy).
4. Lady said it would be a $50.00 adoption fee.
5. Daughter said ok , got out money while lady wrote up a reciept asked her name.

That was it, no references no vet check no nothin

I know she will make an excellent mommy but I was still non the less shocked at the non-concern for where this little guy was going.

I hope your friend on that site gets her dog in the long run I would go with the friend adopting it idea

This is a pic of my daughters dog, they seem to think he is a great dane, him and buddy play and play when they are together.....Finally a puppy that can wear him out.....lol
That is much like how it went when we adopted Peanut from the Oshawa Humane society... I don't even think they asked if we'd ever owned a cat!!! I asked more questions than they did... I mean sure it worked out in the end that time - but how often does it not?
Old July 10th, 2004, 07:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Strange how place to place they're rules seem to change I went to Barrie SPCA and they put me through the ringer, phoned my vet and called me back to say that it was a no go because my shots on all my animals were not up to date They obviously didn't ask things like "does she visit you often? or just for shots?" Cause I have spent a small fortune at the vet. I'm not a rich person but all my pets are well cared for as for the shots that were not up to date I informed the supervisor there that if she had asked all 8 of my cats are up to date with their vaccines Dogs as well including purchases of heartworm pills and advantage supplies. The only one missing was rabies shots. I had to convince this woman for 15 minutes on the phone that I loved animals and was perfect for buddy and I could let buddy meet ursa and she could see ursa's rabies tag (I go to the cheaper rabies clinics with my clan).

Well I must have convinced her cause I got the little spazmaster

Luba..........I think you've got something there I looked at some ridgeback puppies and he does look like one the colors and all saved them to show my daughter
Old July 10th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Senior Contributor

I was just reading this morning in"letters to the ed"in The Star how THS,because they have 500 cats,practically give away the cats with only a suggestion to have them spayed/neutered
Although I can understand the urgency to find homes,I think one of the most important reqirements would be to have the cats altered,or next year(or sooner)they might have 1.000 cats!
Old July 11th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I wonder if they fix them first before they adopt them out. The irrisponsible owners and BYBs could go "adopt" a bunch of pets and breed them without the HS knowing.
Old July 12th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Senior Contributor

our local shelter they told us that they were very picky about who the pit bulls went to when we were "dog hunting" about a year ago. When Briggs was at the shelter I saw her little face and knew that she was the one. We filled out our application and I was so worried that their questions would be so indepth and very personal and the nervous wreck that I am thought for sure that they wouldn't allow us to adpot because we were in an apartment. Anyway, after filling out the app. they read it over and that was it, the dog was ours!!!! They gave us a 50 dollar coupon for out spaying - (yet to see the check by the way, it's been 3 months!) and that was it. Mind you aour dog was only 9 weeks when we got her, so they couldn't do if before adoption. But that's their policy - they give you a coupon and that's it.
Old July 12th, 2004, 09:30 AM

Ah,if we could only bottle common sense...even when poor Harriette showed up pregnant at our house..(not much i could do about her condition) but before the kittens were given away,i took them all (5) to vet and had them fixed.
We won't be mentioning that small bill to my husband for a few years.
Perhaps though,in hindsight,i should have charged a fee for each kitty...people seem to appreciate something a little bit more,if they have to pay for it.
Rolly
Old July 12th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Chocolate

*singing* I dont like THS, I dont like THS.

I would still come by and visit, but the staff is attrosious.