Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old September 19th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

TLC pet food-anyone use it?

TLC pet food

Just wondering if this is any good? For Diamond

*edit again LOL

I still welcome imput on it.

Last edited by Diamondsmum; September 19th, 2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old September 19th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I don't see anything in the ingredient list that throws up red flags for me. I tried finding on their website who manufactures the food (in case it's a facility that has repeated recalls associated with it), but couldn't find that.
Old September 19th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Well ingrediants state lamb meal & chicken meal

is that by-products? or actual meat?

bear with me I am new to this..
Old September 19th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

If it didn't list the species, I'd be cautious - but meal form is better than wet form. If a food lists chicken as it's first ingredient (not chicken meal, just chicken) then that means its in wet form and after processing, it's not going to be first on the ingredient list anymore. So with lamb meal and chicken meal as the first two ingredients, you know that it's got good meat protein sources.
Old September 19th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Oh, and no that isn't "by-product".
Old September 19th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Senior Contributor

aha

I think I will possibly give it a go.

(Will check with hubby)
Old September 19th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I like the fact I can use it from puppy stage right up to adult same bag.
Old September 19th, 2008, 05:07 PM
NOT a senior member

There's some good stuff in this, but it is just a little bit grain-heavy for my liking in a holistic food.

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old September 19th, 2008, 05:57 PM
-

I would definitely ask the company what form of Vitamin K they use. If it is Vitamin K1 that is okay but you don't want Vitamin K3 which is menadione.
Old September 20th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Live well, laugh often

I saw this in a store recently and was quite interested as well.

Old September 20th, 2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpledomino View Post
There's some good stuff in this, but it is just a little bit grain-heavy for my liking in a holistic food.
Likewise. I only recommend grain-free kibble, & potato-free preferably as well, if possible. There are only two grain & potato-free kibble I know are:

NATURE'S VARIETY INSTINCT
GREAT LIFE RUBICON
Old September 22nd, 2008, 10:28 AM
Senior Contributor

grrr Hubbys

Grrr HUBBYS

Ok while in process of having hair cut yesturday Hubby went into pet-value & purchased:

Performation large breed puppy

I didnt even know about it till we got home.

(I think The girl was pushing him into this brand)

I can take it back to get a refund but want your guys imput.
Old September 21st, 2010, 11:18 AM

Thumbs down TLC dog food made my bulldog sick

We purchased TLC dog food on the recommendation of a friend. After going to the website and seeing their "risk free" guarantee we figured, why not try it out.

We have a 1 year old English bulldog, and she was fine and healthy before we bought this food. We were only switching because the convenience of home delivery was attractive, and the website said this food was healthy and natural.

As soon as we switched, she experienced the following symptoms:
diarrhea - horrible - she was unable to maintain her housetraining and pooped around the house at least once a day, I assume due to urgency
vomitting
pawing at her eyes
yeast in her nose wrinkle
general decrease in energy and enthusiasm

We waited a week to see if the symptoms would abate but they did not, so we tried to invoke the company's guarantee. The company would only refund us if we shipped the food back, our cost. Shipping two bags of dog food back to them would have cost as much as we paid for the food itself! We explained this to the company but they would not budge on this.

So I definitely cannot recommend TLC dog food for an English bulldog and would not recommend this company overall.
Old October 20th, 2010, 12:50 PM

TCL Pet Food

Hi all,
First and foremost: I do not work for TLC Petfoods . My opinions are based on personal experience with the product and the company. And just for the record, I usually don’t bother responding to posts but I love my Dogs and want the best for them.

I own 2 Boxers. A 75 pound dark faced British Brindle 3 years, and an American flashy fawn 4 years. Both my dogs were raised on TLC Petfood. They are healthy happy dogs. I have experienced no issues what so ever with this food and as such I have recommended this product to several dog owning friends ( one of which is a bulldog by the way ). TLC was not part of the pet food recall, in fact we received a prompt email making us aware of the problem and assuring us of the quality of the product. Their home delivery is second to none. We usually have the food at our home within 48 hours of ordering. Sure beats lugging it out to the car. We did have 1 occasion where the food was later than expected by approx 24 hours. I spent a lot of time before choosing a food for my Dogs and feel that I have made the best decision possible. As most of you are aware some cheaper dog foods are based on ( remember products are listed in order of proportion ) Corn, Rice, Wheat or other such product. None of these things can be properly processed by your dogs digestive system. Look at the ingreadants in TLC. Yes it does contain some of those fillers but the foremost product is MEAT.

Lamb Meal, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Whole Grain Barley, Whole Brown Rice, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a Natural Source of Vitamin E), Potato, Chicken, Salmon Meal, Chicken Liver, Salmon Oil (Natural Source of DHA), Calcium Carbonate, Flaxseed, Whole Dried Egg, Potassium Chloride, Cultured Yeast, Kelp, Lecithin, Apple, Tomato, Chicory Root Extract, Mannan-oligosaccharides, Choline Chloride, Vitamins, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Niacin, Vitamin C , Inositol, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Beta Carotene, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin K, Biotin, Vitamin B12, Minerals, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate , Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Selenium, Taurine, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Probiotics, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Enterococcus Faecium, Bifidobacterium Thermophilum, L-carnitine, Chondroitin Sulphate, Thyme, Cassia, Anise, Chamomile, Horseradish, Juniper, Ginger, Rosemary Extract

For those who are wondering "meal" chicken meal, lamb meal. "meal is what is left after the water is removed. So a pound of chicken meal is actual more chicken than a pound of chicken.

Take a few moments and compare the above ingredient list with just about any other brand. Look at just the first 4 or 5 ingredients, that’s usually enough to convince most people.

As I see it the only thing better than this is a Raw diet. With TLC you will also feed less making it economical. ( there’s a food calculator on their web page ) I do really feel for the experience of the owner above and hope there pet is alright. But truthfully I would never have thought it possible with TLC.

TLC is not sold at the VET's office and as such no Vet receives a kick back for selling it

Again , just my opinion , the stuff is great.. tlcpetfood.com

Also another one of the better articles of selecting a petfood can be found here.

http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/vie...y-dog-food.htm
Old October 26th, 2010, 02:05 AM
-

Ersatz, TLC has changed their formula since the OP first started this thread. This is what the old ingredients were ....

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...ct=1463&cat=17

So they have improved their formula BUT I would still ask them about the Vitamin K which used to be listed as menadione sodium bisulphite complex ...

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=menadione
Old December 15th, 2010, 01:13 AM

I have been using TLC Dog Food for 4 years now with my 5 year old German Shorthaired Pointer, an extremely active and athletic breed requiring a very healthy diet. As most pet owners have done after the pet food scare a few years ago, I have taken a serious interest in what I feed my pets by educating myself on how the pet food industry works and how to truly understand the ingredient scale.
Contrary to what some posts have said, TLC IS NOT sold in any stores nor through any Vet offices. It is produced in their London, Ontario facility and is ONLY delivered to your home/office. TLC is constantly striving to put the best ingredients into their food. As a few posts have stated, chicken and/or lamb meal is highly desirable to be the first two items on an ingredient list. I stand by the company and the ingredients in the food and would highly recommend it.
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:12 AM

I use TLC

I've been using TLC since I got my dog - the breeder we got him from uses it, and recommended it. A major advantage is the home delivery - you can even set it up to deliver every x months, so you don't have to think about it at all. The food shows up at my house about a week before I would have run out of food.
Gwynn is always excited to see his food, and hasn't had any stomach problems. I stumbled across this post particularly because I wanted to check up on how my dog's food ranks, see if there were any major concerns with using it.
Old July 8th, 2011, 08:12 PM

The breeder we got our dog from used it, and we used it exclusively for a while. We have added Acana - rotating the grain free flavours - with the TLC. It does cost a bit more to feed than the TLC - she eats about the same amount of each.

Interesting about TLC - they hook you into your breeder (isn't that how everyone gets started with it?) and the breeder gets a % for every bag you buy...for life. I have also noticed a lot of breeders in Ontario tie their health guarantee directly to using TLC food....hmmm... Interesting it was noted above that a vet does not sell the food and thus does not get a kickback....but the breeder does. Also I know of 2 vets in the Kitchener area that order it and then resell to their clients, so they must be getting the kickback too. Even my vet said he's considered stocking it alongside Hills and Medical in his office.

TLC talks about "commercial pet foods" and the "marketing practices" of brands like Iams, Royal Canin, Science Diet, etc , but yet they have these deals set up with breeders who are even tying their warranties to using the food (which is technically illegal - I am in the car business and can assure you we cannot force you to service your car at the dealer to get warranty work...we can only force you to service it). Our breeder did NOT require this but strongly recommended TLC and warned us - rightfully - to stay away from Supermarket brands.

In summary though I think TLC is a quality food, a good price, and the home delivery is handy. We still feed it as part of the rotation and the dog likes it, is not gassy, doesn't itch, has decent poops, etc. But frankly I think Kirkland (costco) is a similar quality food for a lot less money - aside from the multiple proteins in TLC -costco has different formulas you can rotate though- the ingredients lists look comparable. Kirkland is made by Diamond in the US - same as Taste of the Wild, Dick Van Patten, Canidae (also very similar to TLC!) - and although they had some issues a few years ago with the recall, I think it probably made them among the safest pet food company out there.

I stay with TLC as a part of the rotation because my dog agrees with it, but would switch to the very similar line of Kirkland food to save money, except for those 40lb bags. It would take my 50lb dog 8 weeks to get through that much food and I don't think it would stay fresh that long. TLC ships 35lbs at a time, but in 2 seperate 17.5lb bags (that are ziplock - as is Kirkland) to keep it fresh. Kirkland is available in 20lb bags in the states and I may pick one up next time I'm down there just to try it out.

Last edited by kmoose; July 13th, 2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old December 17th, 2017, 11:25 AM

TLC long time user

Hello, we have rescued shepherds for years and used to adopt senior cats. My wife Brenda volunteers for the Humane Society.
We have fed TLC products since the early 90's.

I studied foods because we also had an American Cocker Spaniel with a bad coat. She was overweight when we adopted her and we put her on a diet food.
We had to groom her every 5 weeks because her coat would be very dry causing scratching. The TLC caused more oils in her coat, and feeding a better quality food in smaller amounts, also got her weight under control.
TLC is highly digestible because they use high quality human grade Lamb and Chicken with quality ingredients,
The food lists "Lamb Meal and Poultry meal" because it is dehydrated prior to cooking so the weight of water is taken out BEFORE mixing the ingredients, so we were not paying for water.
Meal is NOT by-products.
Some manufacturers fool the consumer by putting their fresh meats as the first ingredients on their ingredient lists, but after cooking the water out of the mix, they will lose 70% plus of the weight of those ingredients. The actual meal remaining would be far down on the list if they were truthful.
TLC has kept up with the times and added more antioxidents and nutrition, with natural preservatives. It has improved over the years!
TLC is not sold in stores so can be ordered and autoshipped anywhere in North America,with NO SHIPPING COSTS with easily managed shipments if you add another pet or changed frequency as the dog grows or ages.
The Super-Premium food costs less that many of the market Premium foods out there, because they don't have to pay for the advertising needed to attract their consumers. The word of mouth works, and we know many long term feeders.
Our shepherds loved their food, and we never had a problem feeding over many pets over the years.
We believe!
Questions or comments are ok, we love our TLC( short for The Longevity Company)
Mike & Brenda Wilson
London, Ontario