Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 28th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Doggie Wench

ON NOW...No Country For Animals...Gobal Montreal

~Revealed~ A documentary on the plight of animals in Canada, both companion and farm animals. On now on Global Montreal.
Old July 29th, 2010, 08:43 AM

Will be watching for the online broadcast
Old July 29th, 2010, 09:04 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

I saw this LP and it was very difficult to watch. I loved the look of amazement in the faces of the folks from I think it was Amsterdam when they heard of how "food animals" are treated here. "We thought you were such a civilized country" except when "just animals" are concerned

Four years of discussions on how long animals being driven to slaughter can go without a break, water or food and nothing has been decided...really???? It is 52 hrs here versus 14 in Europe. Anyone else see a HUGE problem????

Grrrrrr...sorry but it was just sickening to watch. God Bless that woman for trying but politicians are involved so she has an uphill battle!!!

(off to look at pic threads now!!! )

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old July 29th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Senior Contributor

It would be interesting to see how many viewers who watched this, will still actually eat meat? My feeling is if you will still eat meat, you can't complain about the conditions that these animals go through. To bad there wasn't a poll.
Old July 29th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Mickey, my angel

You can watch the video here:

http://www.globallethbridge.com/story.html?id=3336734
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old July 30th, 2010, 12:02 PM

Interesting how many visitors who watch this will still purchase dogs from pet stores that come from puppy mills, where the bitch and her pups are raised in horrifying conditions. But... oh wait... the pet store employee insists the pup did not come from a puppymill, must be true then right?

I watched it, I work in the livestock industry, and I will still eat meat, but I never complain how they are raised. For personal reasons, I choose to eat less RED meat and overall I try to decrease my meat consumption because of the affects that livestock have on the environment.

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old July 30th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Mickey, my angel

I watched this video twice, partly due to the fact that I was distracted with other things the first time and missed parts of it. It is a must see. It is despicable that Canada has such a horrible record of cruelty to animals. If this video isn't an eye opener for many then I don't know what it will take.

Much must be done, and much can be done, but only if many more people take a stand. Just this week I read that bullfighting has now been banned in Catalonia, Spain largely because people took a stand and petitioned their government for change. I believe that we can make a difference here too.

Who else has had the chance to see this video yet and what are your opinions?
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton

Old July 30th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikischo View Post
It's all about the out of sight, out of mind mentality. Society feels if they don't see it, it will not effect them. Most just can't be bothered with it really. The majority of people who you try to talk to about the plight, more so then not, your'll get the "I don't want to hear about it" attitude. Out of sight, out of mind.

Like I said, alot of people complain about the conditions and lack of animal welfare, but yet do not anything to change it. People still cry and moan about the treatment of farms animals, but yet go to their grocery store and buy meat from them...and why cause it is cheaper, then going through to a local farmer. Its sad when people can rationlize money vs an animals welfare. People complain about puppy/kitten mills, but will still purchase a puppy or kitten from a pet store, like Cass has stated.

If you want to eat meat, go to a local farmer, check out their farm, how are the animals raised, etc. Adopt from your local shelter.
Old July 30th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Mickey, my angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahGrey View Post
It's all about the out of sight, out of mind mentality. Society feels if they don't see it, it will not effect them..
I know what you mean about the "out of sight out of mind mentality." I am guilty of that myself. For example, I can't handle walking near the lobster tanks in SuperStore and if I had to slaughter or hunt for meat myself it is guaranteed beyond a doubt I would be a vegetarian because I wouldn't be able to do it. Like Twyla Francois I grew up on a small farm in Manitoba. We knew the animals individually and my sister and I gave each of them names. Like Twyla, I had to experience my pet calves and pigs having to be slaughtered because "that's the way it is." Twyla made a commitment to become a vegetarian at age 13 and stuck with it. On the other hand, I became a "wannabe" vegetarian at around the same age and have gone through periods in my life where I went for a few months here and there without eating meat, but I have never stuck with it. The fact that I have always lived with people who feel that supper isn't supper if meat isn't being served does make it more difficult. However, I do know others who manage to cook meat for family members but not eat it themselves, so that is really not an valid excuse. By the way, since viewing the video yesterday, I am now on another vegetarian kick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahGrey View Post
People still cry and moan about the treatment of farms animals, but yet go to their grocery store and buy meat from them...and why cause it is cheaper, then going through to a local farmer. Its sad when people can rationlize money vs an animals welfare. People complain about puppy/kitten mills, but will still purchase a puppy or kitten from a pet store, like Cass has stated.

If you want to eat meat, go to a local farmer, check out their farm, how are the animals raised, etc. Adopt from your local shelter.
Yes, as Twyla said, becoming a vegetarian isn't easy and not for everybody. However, making a commitment to purchase meat only from sources where we know animals have at least been treated humanely and eating less meat are other things that people can do. If enough people do this, it can help make a difference.

Pushing for changes in Canadian laws is something all of us who love animals and are concerned about their welfare can participate in. If enough people do this, our government will need to take things more seriously (or so we hope).

Last edited by mikischo; July 30th, 2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old July 30th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Mikischo, I mysef was veggie until a month ago. I started to eat chicken a month ago. Not my choice, I was not getting enough protein. I also have Ulcerative Colitis and can't absorb nurtients properly, so a protein supplement was no good enough. I am a former Animal Protection Officer and have seen first hand what our farm animals go through. This and watching the documentary Earthlings a few years back, I decided I couldn't eat meat. I only eat chicken now

As for the chicken, I don't buy grocery store bought, but from a local farmer/butcher that I know the animals were raised and killed humanely. And yes, I agree with you that choosing where you buy your meat is key.

Last edited by NoahGrey; July 30th, 2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old July 30th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I read about the man who did this documentary,but no,I am not going to watch it.
It's not because I don't care,I am well aware what goes on with these poor animals,the horror and cruelty.
Canada is so far behind in Animal-Cruelty laws,it's astounding and shameful.

Our politicians talk the talk,but that's all it is,nothing is ever done to change things,it's all about money..

I cheered when I read Cantalonia banned bull-fighting,who in their right mind can watch something as horrible.
Sweden banned any factory-farming a long time ago,but we here in Canada?? Who really cares??

As long as our politicians see nothing wrong with the annual Seal-Slaughter and promote Rodeos and Dog knows what else,how can anyone change their minds?

Yes I am a meateater,I am not a lover of veggies,except maybe asparagus and peasbut that does not mean I am totally ignorant to the horrible treatment of our animals brought to slaughter.

I once had to pass a slaughter-truck with pigs,their little snouts were sticking out through the holes,I was literally sick and could not stop crying,had a terrible urge to stop that truck and free the pigs,but of course I could not..
Nothing will ever change,the politicians don't care,most people don't care,but hopefully this documentary,will bother some peoples conscience.
Old July 30th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I once had to pass a slaughter-truck with pigs,their little snouts were sticking out through the holes
I give these trucks the finger everytime I pass them
Old July 30th, 2010, 06:49 PM
~Cat Servent~

I cried through most of that, but I have to say it was very well done and I can't think of a person I know who wouldn't start to think twice about where their meat really comes from after watching that.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old July 30th, 2010, 07:29 PM

i hope and pray someday soon this will change...But i could not give up hope and say it will never change...
Old July 31st, 2010, 08:10 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Thank you to ALL involved in the making of this excellent documentary!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikischo View Post
I watched it several times

Twyla says: Capturing evidence of cruelty toward animals is her life's passion. The reality is she witnesses sheer brutality in the hopes that we will at least watch what we support ... as consumers and hopes "when Canadians learn what's happening we will not tollerate it and dreams of the day that we will finally get it, and start making humane choices." How ready are we to change?

It was more educational then graphic but you can read the documentary here if you can't watch it
http://redstarcafe.wordpress.com/201...y-for-animals/

Little has changed since 1892, it's time! Support Mark Holland's hollam@parl.gc.ca (reconvenes in Sept) re-intro bill C-229
An Act to Amend the Criminal Code (Cruelty to Animals) in the 40th Parliament.

WSPA, CCFA and CETFA are asking MPs to support stronger farm animal transport regulations and enforcement. Encourage them to watch the documentary and stand up against animal cruelty, takes two seconds TY
http://action.wspa.ca/ea-campaign/cl...s=Source:CETFA
Old July 31st, 2010, 12:17 PM

It's very easy to change ones habits, if you want to eat meat, eggs etc buy them from local ethical farmers. Same with your pet food, buy brands that support ethical farming and don't shop at pet stores that sell animals, ANY animals. CFIA may not be doing much but YOU as a consumer can simply vote with your dollars.

I do my best to buy everything locally, my veggies, fruit, meat etc. My eggs come from the local farm where I see the chickens running around having a nice life, my meat comes from my sister who raises cattle and sheep so I know exactly how they are raised etc, and I also support the local 4-H kids where I know and can ask how their animals are raised. You just have to make a little effort to source your food.
Old July 31st, 2010, 02:01 PM

People need to not be so near-sighted eitheir when it comes to this topic... it's fine to choose not to eat meat, but what about all the byproducts we consume/use that are from animals? What about all the pet food we buy? If one really wants to commit to such a lifestyle, it can't be as near-sighted as stopping to eat meat, because lets face it, we are still indirectly using byproducts from these animals that would not be available if they were not slaughtered. I find that many people are very uneducated about this, and while I don't have anything against someone choosing not to eat meat, one must consider all products that come from animals slaughtered.

And if the consumer wants to demand that animals are raised a certain way, they must be willing to pay higher prices for their meat, which most aren't. Although alot of farms may be big corporations, many are not and are just families like you and I that are making a living. We can not expect the producer to incure all the costs that come from these demands of no-medication feed, more space, etc. etc. without contributing too. These animals are sometimes raised in such conditions because its the most profitable, we need to be willing to help cover some of the costs if that's what we want to demand.

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old July 31st, 2010, 03:03 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA View Post
It's very easy to change ones habits, if you want to eat meat, eggs etc buy them from local ethical farmers. Same with your pet food, buy brands that support ethical farming and don't shop at pet stores that sell animals, ANY animals. CFIA may not be doing much but YOU as a consumer can simply vote with your dollars.

I do my best to buy everything locally, my veggies, fruit, meat etc. My eggs come from the local farm where I see the chickens running around having a nice life, my meat comes from my sister who raises cattle and sheep so I know exactly how they are raised etc, and I also support the local 4-H kids where I know and can ask how their animals are raised. You just have to make a little effort to source your food.
Old July 31st, 2010, 09:19 PM
-

I didn't watch the documentary.....I have difficulty watching any program of that nature

I agree 100% with what Cassiek says, it is up to the people to make a difference by supporting ethical practices....but are we willing/able to pay the price?
Old July 31st, 2010, 09:41 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA View Post

While I agree with you, it's not as simple for most people as it is for you. If one has lived in a large city and bought meat from a supermarket all their lives, they may not know any better . Many people aren't even aware of factory farming in the first place. I only learned about it 10 years or so ago and I'm a butcher's daughter .

As with everything, it starts with education. Then researching (and that in itself can be quite a task depending on where you live) where to get meat from animals humanely raised and slaughtered. Where does one even start if the information isn't readily available to them?

I can't think of one person I know who's visited a farm where their meat comes from (unless they personally know the farmers), and visited the abattoir where the animal is killed...or who'll stick around to watch to make sure it's done properly.

I'm not sure I know where I'm going here. I just want to point out that it's not so easy for the general public.
Old August 1st, 2010, 01:38 AM
Mickey, my angel

Looking for food sources, I did some googling on the internet and found this website for starters:

http://localfoodplus.ca/buy-to-vote/where-to-buy

I found the above website through the Winnipeg Humane Society:
http://www.winnipeghumanesociety.ca/factory-farming
http://www.winnipeghumanesociety.ca/...-meat-and-eggs

It all boils down to "supply and demand." If more people become aware and start demanding meat from humanely treated farm animals than things will have to get better.

According to Vicky Burns from the WHS, "At least fifty percent of consumers are willing to pay more for their pork if they feel it has been raised in a humane manner."

There is a lot of information out there. I believe there is hope for change but more people need to participate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girls View Post
Little has changed since 1892, it's time! Support Mark Holland's hollam@parl.gc.ca (reconvenes in Sept) re-intro bill C-229
An Act to Amend the Criminal Code (Cruelty to Animals) in the 40th Parliament.

WSPA, CCFA and CETFA are asking MPs to support stronger farm animal transport regulations and enforcement. Encourage them to watch the documentary and stand up against animal cruelty, takes two seconds TY

http://action.wspa.ca/ea-campaign/cl...s=Source:CETFA
Great information, GG.

You can read Bill C-229 here:

http://markholland.liberal.ca/files/...7/C-229_11.pdf

More information is here including a link to download a petition:

http://rainadvocacy.ca/animalWelfare.html

I have petitioned for other causes in the past and I have always found it to be a very positive experience and a great way to meet your neighbours.

Last edited by mikischo; August 1st, 2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old August 1st, 2010, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
While I agree with you, it's not as simple for most people as it is for you. If one has lived in a large city and bought meat from a supermarket all their lives, they may not know any better . Many people aren't even aware of factory farming in the first place. I only learned about it 10 years or so ago and I'm a butcher's daughter .

As with everything, it starts with education. Then researching (and that in itself can be quite a task depending on where you live) where to get meat from animals humanely raised and slaughtered. Where does one even start if the information isn't readily available to them?

I can't think of one person I know who's visited a farm where their meat comes from (unless they personally know the farmers), and visited the abattoir where the animal is killed...or who'll stick around to watch to make sure it's done properly.

I'm not sure I know where I'm going here. I just want to point out that it's not so easy for the general public.
LP I agree with you 100% that education is key to... well, everything! And with the livestock/companion animal industry, it becomes tricky, as both sides of the argument, take advantage of the fact that the public know very little about each industry, and exploit that to suit their best interests.

Speaking from the livestock perspective, if I did not have the career I do now, I would not be nearly as aware as I am about the poultry industry in Southern AB. But, I realize that most people do not have this opportunity. I encourage people to see where their meat comes from as best they can. As someone who grew up in the city, purchasing all our meat from the grocery store or a butcher I can appreciate that it's easier said than done. I know that most slaughter plants do offer tours of their facilities (at least here they do) and while most people don't want to know where their meat comes from, I think it's important to be as proactive as possible and support local farmers as much as possible. I think with COOL (Country Of Origin Labeling) this is a step in the right direction, but the livestock industry still has far to go. But, consumers must be willing to pay for those changes... I know when I shop at the grocery store I am more inclined to by the dozen of eggs for cheap, than pay $4.00 because they are "organic" - which I like to remind people to be careful of as well - make sure you check what defines organic - sometimes it does NOT mean no hormones, antibiotics, etc. are used, but that the withdrawal time is twice as long, so please be careful!

I do think as consumers we have this incredible opportunity because we can make a choice but let us do so being as informed and educated as possible! Don't let the media (i.e. videos, organizations, etc) for EITHEIR side lead us to one side or another. I have a wonderful opportunity in the poultry industry that I have seen the hatchery the chicks are hatched, the farms they are grown on, and the processors they are slaughtered at - and feel confident in this product because of that, I also have the opportunity to sell feed to growers that are not just huge corporations, but small, localized farms that have layer hens that run free and I can buy my eggs from them and not pay a premium price. That being said, most people don't - so do your research and be proactive with the situation. It may take more effort but I do think its worthwhile! I do appreciate people who are very passionate about these issues - I am a very passionate person myself, but please get all the information and facts... too often I find that people say "Well, I seen it on PETA, so it must be true!" etc. etc. and base their judgments and opinions on a single source, please make sure to do your research thoroughly and look at all sides of the issue, from there you can make an informed decision.

Old August 1st, 2010, 11:26 AM

luckypenny,

I grew up in the city too, but simply started to question where things came from. I did work on ranches and had the opportunity to see where food came from. Think about it, when we buy a TV, computer, we research it, why not research where our food comes from? We read the labels to see what's in it?! With today's access to knowledge is there really an excuse? I don't think so.

When I lived in Calgary I bought most of my food from the Hutterites as I preferred how they raised and cared for their food animals and it was local. If I go to my local butcher I ask where is the food from. My free range eggs are cheaper than in the grocery store, which I find totally hilarious!

Now I am in BC, there are tons of local farmers that treat their animals with respect and care. One just has to put forth a little effort to find them.

I think if most people saw an abattoir they would be vegetarian in a heart beat.

cassiek good points, do your research FIRST HAND not based on AR groups, go out, see farms, make it a family day. Learn where your food really comes from. Don't rely on youtube etc as a source.
Old August 1st, 2010, 03:27 PM
Senior Contributor

This brings me to a horror story a few years back,a "butcher"in the Toronto area,butchered his own animals and sold the meat,not certified.
The reason he was in the paper,with a picture,he needed 5 men to hold down a large pig,so he could kill him with a screwdriver.
He was of course charged,but probably only got a small fine.

I have no farms near me,but we have a couple of small butcher-shops,it would be interesting to find out where their butchered animals come from.
Old August 1st, 2010, 04:29 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
I have no farms near me,but we have a couple of small butcher-shops,it would be interesting to find out where their butchered animals come from.
If you ask, make certain you're specific about where the animal comes from and not just the meat. Anyone could tell you it's local but that could mean the distributor or abattoir is in a nearby city and that's where they get their meat from. If you want to make certain, find out who the distributors/wholesalers are and contact them directly for information.
Old August 1st, 2010, 05:40 PM
An Honest Contributor

Quote:
This brings me to a horror story a few years back,a "butcher"in the Toronto area,butchered his own animals and sold the meat,not certified. The reason he was in the paper,with a picture,he needed 5 men to hold down a large pig,so he could kill him with a screwdriver.
OMG what's wrong with people

Mikischo: Looking for food sources, I did some googling on the internet and found this website for starters:http://localfoodplus.ca/buy-to-vote/where-to-buy Great link It all boils down to "supply and demand." If more people become aware and start demanding meat from humanely treated farm animals than things will have to get better 100% agree

The video not only exposes one of Quebec's +2,000 horrific canine hells but examines the mistreatment of animals raised for food both in factory farms and in transport. So, for the environmental activist, organic enthusiast and/or animal welfare advocate an alternative would be to buy organic or at least until farmers are better regulated and treat their livestock more humane

LP: Many people aren't even aware of factory farming in the first place. Until now I encourage everyone to post it on their facebook, twitter, friends ... it's taken off big time - vive la internet!

As with everything, it starts with education. Then researching (and that in itself can be quite a task depending on where you live) where to get meat from animals humanely raised and slaughtered. Where does one even start if the information isn't readily available to them? I've only researched one here in Quebec, hopefully others know of more and will contribute in this thread. I feel it would be impossible that our health wouldn't be affected by the food we eat if our animals are living in such deporable and stressful conditions. Nor do we need a degree in biology or chemistry to know diseases such as cancer is related to the usage of chemicals and exposures to toxins in both our environment and food.

Eating organic (historic) = the way farming used to be all the while

- support local farmers
- your $ will be voting to conserve our invironment
- animals are free ranged and raised ethically

Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) mandates Canadian Organic Standard (COS) be certified under the Canadian Organic Regulations (OPR) of Canada whether it's traded across the province,Int'l borders or the use of the COS logo which can be verified info@quebec.vrai.org

I can't think of one person I know who's visited a farm where their meat comes from (unless they personally know the farmers), and visited the abattoir where the animal is killed... I haven't visited this farm however I've spoken many times with the owner (whose a vegetarian) and he has tried to encourage me to visit but I'd probably just run around giving them all names ... one day perhaps http://www.saint-vincentbio.com/ or who'll stick around to watch to make sure it's done properly. Once I called wanting to know how *you know* his chickens - he openly explained it to me and again invited me down, so no appointed needed = nothing to hide
Old August 1st, 2010, 06:07 PM
Doggie Wench

Thank you for that info, GG. Perhaps we can start a thread, or a sticky, for members here to post places they can give personal recommendations to in their regions.

Wonder why the farmer is a vegetarian . I'll definitely be visiting in the near future.

One realization after looking at the price list, there's no way I would be able to afford to feed our guys raw from there . The minimum it would cost is just under 30$ per day .
Old August 1st, 2010, 06:18 PM
An Honest Contributor

Please let me know if and when you visit, your thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Thank you for that info, GG. Perhaps we can start a thread, or a sticky, for members here to post places they can give personal recommendations to in their regions That would be a great idea

Wonder why the farmer is a vegetarian . I'm not

One realization after looking at the price list, there's no way I would be able to afford to feed our guys raw from there . The minimum it would cost is just under 30$ per day I know it's outrageous but I only bought a little for the puppers, can't imagine for raw feeders. One of my gf's buys from him and says just the taste of his meat alone is worth it. Hopefully more people will opt for organic where then they could reduce prices
Old August 3rd, 2010, 01:06 AM

What's so difficult about being a vegetarian?

Why you should really become a vegan, or make a serious effort to consume less meat, dairy, eggs:

1. Animal welfare: Organic farm animals don't get slaughtered or transported any differently than factory farm animals

2. Our health: Plant based protein is far better than animal protein in many ways, see this documentary: http://www.youtube.com/user/heylover.../0/yResuAasCnA

3. Environmental: read up on UN report here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...ree-diet/print

4. Personal: Follow your conscience. Live with integrity. You gain positive energy in making a difference in so many living beings' lives if you stop contributing to their suffering.

5. It's just easier for you to promote animal welfare to others if you don't eat them yourselves

6. Why a pig is food and a dog is pampered? There's no reason. They all feel pain, sadness, suffering, helplessness, despair all the same, just as humans do.
Old August 5th, 2010, 10:11 AM
An Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammachi View Post
Why you should really become a vegan, or make a serious effort to consume less meat, dairy, eggs:

1. Animal welfare: Organic farm animals don't get slaughtered or transported any differently than factory farm animals

2. Our health: Plant based protein is far better than animal protein in many ways, see this documentary: http://www.youtube.com/user/heylover.../0/yResuAasCnA I enjoyed reading about John Robbins, writer/advocats a plant-based vegan diet, thank you for the link

3. Environmental: read up on UN report here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...ree-diet/print

4. Personal: Follow your conscience. Live with integrity. You gain positive energy in making a difference in so many living beings' lives if you stop contributing to their suffering. But, not everyone isn't at peace with their conscience

5. It's just easier for you to promote animal welfare to others if you don't eat them yourselves

6. Why a pig is food and a dog is pampered? IMO most vegans or vegetarians don't see the difference between the two
From Twyla (CETFA's) site http://www.spca.bc.ca/welfare/farm-a...pca-certified/