Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Old December 28th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Pregnant Kitten?

I know that the best way to really rule this out is going to be taking our newest foster addition, Loca (little white & tabby female with no tail) to a vet; which we are doing this week - she has an appointment Thursday.

We started having suspicions on Friday that she might be pregnant - previous to Friday, she was eating her food much faster than normal, going through it very quickly and seeming hungry even still...looking for food, going to our fridge, meowing at us when we were eating.

The rescue adoption coordinator came over on the weekend to say hi and check up on the kitten and another dog we have here as a foster, and we brought up our concerns. She took a look at the kitten and sure enough, thought she might be pregnant as well; however she is not experienced in this and so made a vet appointment with the clinic.

Since then, we've been really watching her stomach and it seems very round and firm. I can't feel any movement, but it is definitely much different than when she first came to us.

Loca has been dewormed and the adoption coordinator didn't think it was bloat.

This kitten is literally just over four months, and I was appalled to find out that they can STILL get pregnant that young. :sad:

If she is pregnant, we will obviously go through all the options with the vet....weigh pros and cons of everything. Loca's safety and wellbeing are at the top of the list right now.

I guess I'm just really shocked and confused...has anyone delt with a pregnancy this young before? Anything we should look for?

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old December 28th, 2009, 11:18 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

A four month old kitten being pregnant is highly doubtful. Not impossible. Just doubtful. IMO IF the kitten were pregnant she would be aborted faster than a trip to the litter box. If the kitten is literally just over four months old that would mean she mated at around 3.5 months or younger in order to be showing now.
Do you know when she was dewormed, what was used, and how often? A cat needs to be wormed more than once to ensure all of the worms are gone. Also, depending on what meds were used, they may not have killed all of the worms. There are many types of worms which react differently to different meds. Some meds will only work on tape worms. Some will only work on round worms. Not to mention hook and lung worms.
I'm glad she is going to the vet to be checked out.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 28th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks 14.

I just wish the vet trip was yesterday, but anyway....

I have no idea what kind of dewormer they gave her at all. I'm assuming it was just for round worm, and to my knowledge she had one dose of it right before she came to our home. I am sure this will all be investigated at the vet appointment, is there anything else I should have the vet check into while we are there?

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old December 28th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Here are some pictures of her tummy that I took right now. It's hard to see b/c of the crappy lighting and the webcam quality, but you can sort of see here that her nipples are getting dark. This was one of the things that the AC didn't like to see...apparently this happens to pregnant females?
Attached Images

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old December 28th, 2009, 11:38 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

If they only dosed her once she will probably still have worms. She needs to be dosed at least twice with an all around worm medication to get rid of all types of worms. I'm sure the vet will be able to give you a good one for her. Meanwhile you could check her BM's to see if there is any evidence of roundworms. They are long spaghetti like uglies. Also check her butt to see if you can find any tape worm segments. They literally will break off in segments and stick to her fur. They resemble a grain of rice or a small flat whitish segment. The kitten may throw up roundworms too. You won't miss them if she does.
Other than that the vet will know what to look for. A pregnancy seems unlikely at her age but weirder things have happened. I would be booking a spay pretty quickly if she does turn up pregnant. At that age she would never survive a birthing.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 28th, 2009, 11:40 PM
150% PRO S/N

Are they sure she is only four months old or are they guessing? Is it possible she is older?

Old December 28th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes 14, I imagine she could certainly be older. I was told 4 months from the rescue, but they are not vets. I am really looking forward to this appointment, I'm sure we will find out a lot more information there.

I am going to check her litterbox now. I haven't noticed any wormy things in her stool, but then again, I never checked. Thanks.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old December 28th, 2009, 11:55 PM
150% PRO S/N

I can't tell from the pics what is going on. I'm not a vet either. She looked pretty small in your original pics of her a while back but in these pics she looks bigger. Was she rescued off the streets? If that is the case they don't really know how old she is.
In any case I would still be doing my utmost to have her aborted if she turns up pregnant. If she has only just started showing she isn't too far along.
What foods are you feeding her? Is she having a hard time adjusting to the food? Does she seems gassy at all? Is she having diarrhea issues? That can cause a swollen belly as well.

Old December 29th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Im not a vet but cat usually have their first heat when they are about a year old. I have heard of cats being pregnant at 7-8 months, but never at 4 months. It can be the food and if she is eating that fast she may be injesting alot of air...good luck. I wish I could be more helpful
Old December 29th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I know, pictures are hard to judge by. I guess I'm just so concerned/worried, I figure any advice at this point will help put our minds at ease regarding this type of situation. From what the foster coordinator told us, she was rescued as a stray, which explained why she didn't really know how to play when she came to us - or have any handling.

She is quite small - she's obviously bigger than those pictures I posted when she first came to us, however not by much. It's her belly that seems to be growing slowly, which is the concerning part. It's rounded at the sides, it's firm but not hard = kind of hard to explain.

As of now she is on Orijen, and occasionally RAW chicken. We do notice she has a bit of gas every now and then, but nothing constant.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old December 29th, 2009, 01:02 PM
150% PRO S/N

The majority of cats have their first heat between six and ten months. Some breeds can go into heat at four months. However, three months is surely not likely.
Let's hope it's something that is easily fixable.

Old December 29th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Catlover2

Hard to tell from the photo, but to me she does look more than 4 mos. old., maybe 6 or 7, her nipples look darker rather than white. Are her nipples pink and becoming more prominent? This is usually a first sign of pregnancy and most cats "pink up" 22 days after mating, and average gestation is 65 days. Where was she 22 days ago....any possibility she mated? The increase in her appetitie is also expected if she's preggie. Some Manx (if she's that & not lost her tail thro accident) can become pregnant at 7 mos., tho usually it's 8-9 mos.

Last edited by catlover2; December 29th, 2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old December 29th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Geek Club CEO

This reminds me of Molly. Judging by her size alone, we thought she was around 4-6 months old. And very hungry She also had a firm tummy.
She was found to be about 2-3 weeks pregnant, and closer to 1 year old, when we brought her to the vet. Due to her size, age, and the fact that the pregnancy was still very early, we opted to have her spayed.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old December 29th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Everyone. Here's hoping it isn't a pregnancy...:sad:

Yes Catlover, her nipples do seem to be getting more pink. Her tummy is white, and they are noticeable now through her fur.

Wow BF, thanks for that info. Is it a very complicated procedure to do when the cat is pregnant?

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old December 29th, 2009, 03:25 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
Wow BF, thanks for that info. Is it a very complicated procedure to do when the cat is pregnant?
The vets I deal with through TCR abort many many cats. As far as I know they have not lost any of the cats. I know they abort pretty far into the pregnancy as well.
Benni was pregnant when she was spayed. I just made sure she was kept very quiet for the first few days afterward. Within a week after she was back nursing her kitten she still had with her from before I got her. She didn't seem to mind. In fact it seemed to soothe her.
The biggest thing is the vet needs to be aware that the cat is pregnant and will take extra care during the operation.
Let's hope it isn't a pregnancy at all.

Old December 29th, 2009, 04:38 PM
At Cat-Pacity

Hi Bailey!

Loca looks a LOT like my Little Cat, who looked about 6 months old when we got her but was apparently 2 years (the vets can tell by the teeth.) She had just had a litter when we got her from the TAS. She was only 4.5 lbs when we got her, but quickly started eating and chunked up (now a healthy but small 5.4lbs) - you'd never know by looking at her though that she was older than 6 months, and she's still pretty playful. It could be that Loca is just discovering the joys of food (like Little did) and is eating too much?
My first thought was that your kitty might also have worms, but I guess you'll find out soon.
I know what you mean about it being a little appalling - our first vet for our fat tabby told us that Turdlet might have a leaky eye due to chlamydia! He was 3 months old!! (Apparently it's not an STD in cats though?)
4 years later and he still has a leaky eye....

Good luck, and let us know what the conclusion is!
Little - mooching DMH Tabby
Penny Lane - trouble-making Crimson-Bellied Conure
Old December 29th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Slave to the Kitties

If the kitten is 6 months or so, it isnt just that they may not be able to carry them , its also do they want them afterwards. At that age, there only baby's themselves, and aren't very motherly sometimes. So she may not even feed them. :sad: They also dont always produce the milk they need.
Just letting you know the problems you may have if she is that young and has the kittens.
Old December 29th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Geek Club CEO

The procedure gets trickier the further along the pregnancy is. Our little gal was only 2-3 weeks along, and she recovered lickity-split, no differently than any of our other cats. She seemed much happier for it, actually...she got down to the business of just being a young, happy-go-lucky kitten, rather than worrying about her condition.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old December 29th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Catlover2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
Thanks Everyone. Here's hoping it isn't a pregnancy...:sad:

Yes Catlover, her nipples do seem to be getting more pink. Her tummy is white, and they are noticeable now through her fur.

Yep, probably preggie....I bet my boots! Most Manx have small litters, usually 3-4 kittens, but a young queen may have only 2.
Old December 31st, 2009, 10:15 AM
I'm a softy

How long have you had her? When did the rescue get her? If she is preggers, and nipples are just starting now, and you cant feel babies yet, it would be 3 or 4 weeks along, into the 2nd month you can feel them, and movement. I doubt a breeding at 3 months, i have seen 6 and 8 months, but a full heat at 3 is unlikely, so either she isnt prego or she is about 8 months, how old do you think she is?

Good luck, i hope she isnt, if she is aborts are pretty safe, here we abort up until guarded viability, so i think you have time. I have had young mothers, and it just isnt right, they get scared, and can die, and kittens die, it happens, happened to me not long ago if you remember. Good luck, cant wait for the update on the sweet girl!! Also, she is old enough for a safe spay, she could have been done prior to coming to you, it is starting to be standard for rescues to spay before letting them go, and that is good, it is just too risky, good luck again!
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old December 31st, 2009, 10:23 AM
Wayward Family Cats Mommy

The appointment is today right? Any news? It definitely sounds like her eggo is preggo. Let us know what happened at the vet and best of luck!
Old December 31st, 2009, 11:21 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Good luck at the vet, Bailey!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 31st, 2009, 12:09 PM
150% PRO S/N

Good luck today. Let us know.

Old December 31st, 2009, 03:02 PM
chronically insane.

Given the time of year and the age of the animal, I doubt she is pregnant. It is probably worms or some sort of gastrointestinal problem.

And honestly, avoid wasting your money on x-rays or bloodwork to check for pregnancy. You will need to have her spayed eventually anyways, and if the vet suspects a pregnancy over something else (worms, etc) then just get her spayed.

I work in a spay/neuter clinic. I have seen both cats and dogs being spayed while pregnant. It is not our favourite thing to do, but when just down the hall animals are being euthanized because there are too many, you really can't help it.

It is rarely anymore complicated. For dogs it is more serious, but as long as you have a skilled veterinarian there isn't too much more of a risk.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old December 31st, 2009, 05:41 PM
Catlover2

Another possibility - flase pregnancy or resorption

Another possibility is a "false pregnancy". They will pink up, gain weight but then after a few weeks, nothing. Also, sometimes the fetuses are resorbed, and of course no kittens in this case either. Will be interesting to hear what the vet says.
Old December 31st, 2009, 08:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Any news, Bailey?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 1st, 2010, 11:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Everybody!!

Thankyou so much for your thoughts and experiences regarding this situation.

Loca had her vet appointment yesterday, and the vet suspected her to be closer to six months old, though he said she certainly does have a small build.

She was in fact pregnant :sad:; and due to her age and tiny build the vet encouraged us to spay her regardless.

We had her spayed and are waiting until we can bring her home, most likely tomorrow.

Other than that, Loca is extremley healthy and very happy. We are all glad she will be okay.

Thanks again for talking me through this everyone, I really appreciate it!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old January 1st, 2010, 11:25 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

A bittersweet report, then, Bailey Thankfully she's a healthy little girl!

for a very quick recovery so she can get back to being a kitten!

Old January 1st, 2010, 11:36 AM
150% PRO S/N

I hate to say it but good choice. She is much too young to be carrying and delivering a litter. I wish I would have been correct on the worms but at least she will be getting spayed and looked after now.
Thank you so much for caring about her. Now when is she becoming a FF?
on the upcoming operation.

Old January 1st, 2010, 05:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Thankyou 14 and Hazel.

The vet didn't even think twice about spaying her considering her situation, but it was a first time for me being in this situation. I've never in my life had to abort any kittens or puppies and it has been quite upsetting; even though I know without a doubt it was the best choice.

The vet said he could feel approximatley four fetus, however he doubted that they would all be born alive and couldn't even be positive that Loca would be able to nourish them all - she's so little - even IF she made it through the birth.

Certainly difficult, but glad it is over. We get to pick her up tomorrow morning and I cannot wait to have her home.

Quote:
Now when is she becoming a FF?

I may or may not have already started the process of adopting her. Much to DH's dismay.

Pictures soon, once we get her home.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)