Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 26th, 2008, 05:53 PM

My cat does not purr or meow

One of ny cats is 4 years old and he has never purred or meowed. Not one single utterance. He was the runt and has crossed eyes and I have always wondered if he has some birth defects. The mother cat was always moving the litter and leaving him behind. Of course I always found him and put him back in the litter and eventually she kept him and he survived. But no voice and cross eyed. Anyone ever heard of this?
Old May 26th, 2008, 07:06 PM
~Cat Servent~

He could be deaf.... does he react to sounds? What does your vet have to say?

My cat Smoke was cross eyed when she was a kitten and kind of grew out of it as she got older. But I have never had a cat that did not make any noise. Cats like people have all sorts of handicaps and live long and full lives despite them, so as long as he is healthy and happy, I would say no worries. Got any pics?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old May 26th, 2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
He could be deaf.... does he react to sounds? What does your vet have to say?

Got any pics?
I have never mentioned it to my vet. It is something that we never thought much of until recently. We just thought he didn't have anything to say and he is not very affectionate until recently so the purring thing wasn't noticed either. He hears just fine. Here is a baby picture (I think I am doing this right) Can't lay my hands on any recent ones. He is now about 15 lbs (not fat just a large cat) and has beautiful long orange fur that makes a lions mane at his neck.
Old May 26th, 2008, 10:23 PM

Picture didn't work. It is asking for the HTTP:// for my picture. I really don't know what that means. i only know how to attach pictures or copy them. Sorry.
Old May 26th, 2008, 10:27 PM

OK this me trying again.
Old May 26th, 2008, 10:29 PM

No luck with that either but I think he is on my profile. Sorry for being such a computer dufus.
Old May 26th, 2008, 10:43 PM

OK I got his picture on my avatar thingy. Yeh! His name is Vladimir. But now I feel guilty because I have 6 other fur babies that do not get any spotlight. I can at least give them an introduction. The eldest is Sasha, then Yuri, Anna, Nikolai, Boris, (aforementioned Vladimir) and baby Tatiana. Wish I could post all of their pictures - they are all so beautiful!
Old May 27th, 2008, 01:18 AM

Some Siamese and related breeds will have crossed eyes - usually doesn't affect the vision or not very much. His vocal cords could've been damaged before or during birth Does he open his mouth as if he is trying to meow? Or as suggested by krdahmer, he could be deaf - does he respond to sound? Can he hear a can opening? Does he respond when you call him by name? He might be both deaf & mute (no voice)

Mother cat might have realised there was something wrong & was concentrating on the strong ones to give them the most help. Many animals will abandon the weak ones in favour of taking care of the healthy who have a better chance at survival.

You many need a few more posts before being allowed to put in pics (to avoid spammers).

Read here for tips on attaching pics

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:26 AM

He is definitely not deaf. Responds to his name. He never opens his mouth as if to meow. But lately when we love on him he does kind of grunt. Otherwise he is perfectly healthy. Oh well maybe one day he will have something to say. If not we will just continue to love him!
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi and welcome to the forum! I've got a Vladimir of my own! I call him Vlad, and he is a non-purrer too. He used to purr a lot as a kitten, but stopped purring for several months. He's a year old and the last time I heard him purr was a couple of weeks ago, when I brought him to the office with me, and I woke up one night and heard him purring as well, but before that, it had been months! As for meowing, He does that very little as well. Basically I get a "meow = wake up mom it's breakfast time" and "meorrrw = hey, can someone open this closed door."

Could your guy be missing some vocal cords I wonder.

And I also noticed you have a penchant for Russian names. So do I. My gang all have Russian names too. I also almost named Maks Boris.

As for picture posting, you have to have a certain number of posts before the system will allow you to post a picture. It is just to weed out spammers which we had some of in the recent months. If you pm Marko he can help you. If you want to post pictures now though, and you have a photo bucket account you can just copy the code from there. Photo Bucket has a free and paid service so it's a good thing to have anyway.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/

Last edited by ancientgirl; May 27th, 2008 at 09:21 AM.
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:36 AM
~Cat Servent~

I was gonna say..... you and Ancient both used all Russian names!

The pic in your avatar is adorable! Once you can we'd love to see them all!

As for grunting.... it may be possible that by momma cat leaving him behind all the time, there wasn't much communication between them, so he never learned how to purr or meow and now he's trying to talk to you. Have you tried talking to him in meows? I do that all the time with mine, they meow and I answer them.... of course I look crazy and have no idea what I'm saying to them, but they seem to love it.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum! I've got a Vladimir of my own! I call him Vlad, and he is a non-purrer too.
Could your guy be missing some vocal cords I wonder.
We call him Vlad too! I am really beginning to suspect he has no vocal cords. No worry though he is very happy and content. My cats are so spoiled they usually get what they want before they have to ask, so he'll be okay. I would just love to hear him purr.
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
I was gonna say..... you and Ancient both used all Russian names!
That is so cool that I have a fellow Russian name lover. I was reading a book about 20 years ago on the Tsar of Russia and his families assassination and I became fascinated. The whole Russian theme has been a fun way of coming up with new names for my kitties. I have had 4 others that are now gone. They were Zachary, Meshka, Nikita and Anastasia. So add those to the 7 I currently have and I am running out of possibilities. Not that I can have anymore cats. I am already being called "The Cat Lady" in my neighborhood.
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Holy cow, it's like your my long lost twin or something. I also have a fascination with the assassination of the Romanovs! What a tragedy that was.

All of mine are as follow (they have middle names ):

Vladimir Rasputin (He was also named after Vlad Dracula)
Oksana Tatiana
Maksimilian Nikolai
Kiska Anastasia
Czarna Odessa

I know that feeling of running out of names. I almost adopted a stray that was living down in my complex, and I was already stressing about what the heck to name her!

My boss bought me a cute little magnet set, it's called Crazy cat lady. LOL, that's what all my friends and family call me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
We call him Vlad too! I am really beginning to suspect he has no vocal cords. No worry though he is very happy and content. My cats are so spoiled they usually get what they want before they have to ask, so he'll be okay. I would just love to hear him purr.
Yeah, mine don't want for anything. They have their own living room. I'm sure your Vlad is fine. As long as he's healthy talking is really not such an issue. Maybe one day he'll purr for you. Like I said, I caught mine one night when I woke up. He was licking my hair and purring, so maybe your guy will be caught off guard one day.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Last edited by ancientgirl; May 27th, 2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:54 PM
~Cat Servent~

A lot of us here are deemed Crazy Cat Ladies.... and proud of it! (I got the action figure for xmas one year! )
Attached Images

Old May 27th, 2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
A lot of us here are deemed Crazy Cat Ladies.... and proud of it! (I got the action figure for xmas one year! )
That is Awesome!
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Holy cow, it's like your my long lost twin or something. I also have a fascination with the assassination of the Romanovs! What a tragedy that was.

All of mine are as follow (they have middle names ):

Vladimir Rasputin (He was also named after Vlad Dracula)
Oksana Tatiana
Maksimilian Nikolai
Kiska Anastasia
Czarna Odessa
Wow! I didn't do middle names. I would really be in trouble then. I see we have 3 other names in common - Anastasia, Nikolai and Tatiana. I know Vladimir will be just fine. I was more curious than anything. And I am so glad my curiosity brought me to this forum. You guys are great and I am so glad to have met you.
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Senior Contributor

krdahmer - I have that same action figure. LOL, my friend gave it to me after I brought Maks and Kiska home.

Tatiana, this is a great place. Lots of good people here. Where in Florida do you live?

Old May 27th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Kitty pimp

here is how to get kitty to purr and remember a purr can be very very low

get over to where kitty sleeps make sure you have no glaasses on
lay down there and close yuor eyes like you see your cat do .
Hum very softly and relly relly listen for a purr it may take a good 10 minutes but if he does purr it will be then
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:16 PM

I live in Orange Park just south of Jacksonville. I was actually born in Miami over 4 decades ago. We come there often to embark on cruises and for get-a-ways.
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post

Hum very softly and relly relly listen for a purr it may take a good 10 minutes but if he does purr it will be then
Thanks I'll try it and let you know what transpires.
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Next time you come to Miami, let me know. Maybe we can meet for lunch or something! We're practically the same age too. Maybe I'm your evil twin or maybe your mine

Old May 27th, 2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post

Okay may need to try this another time. I laid down next to Vladimir, closed my eyes and started humming softly. I peeked open my eyes only to find Vladimir gone and 3 of my other cats sitting in his place staring at me like I had lost my mind!
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Next time you come to Miami, let me know. Maybe we can meet for lunch or something! We're practically the same age too. Maybe I'm your evil twin or maybe your mine
We will actually be there in January but I will have my entire family in tow for a family cruise. But I would definitely love to meet you for lunch someday. I am sure we would have lots to talk about!
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Probably best to catch him alone.

Old May 27th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
We will actually be there in January but I will have my entire family in tow for a family cruise. But I would definitely love to meet you for lunch someday. I am sure we would have lots to talk about!
Sure, just let me know. I know one thing for sure we'll have in common.

Old May 27th, 2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Probably best to catch him alone.
I don't think that is possible in my house. A closed door is not tolerated. It will soon have 6-8 paws shooting underneath trying to get in to see what they are missing. Very jealous little souls.
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I've really only got two doors, my bathrooms. I live in a loft so i don't even have in my bedroom. I'm sure you'll find the right opportunity. I may give the a try myself. But I've got a little jealous guy too, Maks. These kitties

Old May 27th, 2008, 08:35 PM
-

Holy macaroni Ancientgirl , good thing your cats are inside cats. Imagine if they weren't , imagine your neighbors hearing this around 6 pm every night :

Vladimir Rasputin , Maksimilian Nikolai , Kiska Anastasia , Czarna Odessa , come on home , dinner is served !

Old May 28th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Holy macaroni Ancientgirl , good thing your cats are inside cats. Imagine if they weren't , imagine your neighbors hearing this around 6 pm every night :

Vladimir Rasputin , Maksimilian Nikolai , Kiska Anastasia , Czarna Odessa , come on home , dinner is served !

Wow what a tongue twister that would be.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey