Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 12th, 2010, 11:17 PM

Exclamation Fainting cat

My cat, Symba, is about 10 years old, male mixed breed.
2 times now my cat has fainted after coughing up a hair ball.
He coughs for a few seconds....after he coughs up the hair ball he just falls over....it's like he is passing out.
Seems to still have a good appetite, no weight loss that I notice.
Should I be concerned?
Old June 12th, 2010, 11:33 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome to the board, MyDoodles.

Have you asked Symba's vet about the episodes? Does Symba actually lose consciousness? I don't have much experience with cats, but if he's is passing out, or even falling over after coughing up a hairball, I'd be inclined to take him to a vet for a once-over.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 12th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Catlover2

It does sound peculiar and never had a cat do that before while coughing up a hairball. Maybe he hyperventilates when he's coughing and it makes him faint? It's a possibility. But there are other reasons for fainting spells too, and Symba should be checked out by a vet.

Here is some information on fainting spells in cats:
http://hubpages.com/hub/Syncope-in-cats

Hope you'll give us an update on Simba.
Old June 13th, 2010, 11:07 AM

It happens so fast....it appears he is fainting......what worries me is the just falling over part......Thanks for the input....I am def. taking him to the vet. I lost a cat not too long ago to cancer, I can't handle losing another one.
Old September 16th, 2010, 12:42 PM

found my kitty fainting problem

MyDoodles, did you ever find out the problem your kitty has? My kitty too, Tushy, twice in the past year or so, after coughing up a hairball would go completely limp and fall to the floor like he's dead, but would pull out of it in a few seconds. Scared me to death. I kept thinking maybe the hairball obstructed his breathing or something and I was always terrified anytime I saw him coughing up a hairball. Anyways, a couple days ago he kept throwing up all his meals, so I was thinking he must have a big hairball. Then this morning there was food thrown up again and he was not himself at all, which has never happened before. He didn't want breakfast, was hiding, etc, and this is never him. he usually throws up and is ready to eat again. so I dropped him off at the vet and they said that (fainting) can often be a sign of heart problems (thickened heart walls) - so that could be a possibility for you. They did blood work and everything was completely fine, so we decided to get an EKG because it was $300 cheaper than the ultrasound of the heart. The doc called back and that was completely fine and she said the doctor who looked at the EKG said with the history, he's thinking it could be asthma. and she kept bringing up his coughing, which was actually irritating and frustrating me because he does't cough, other than when a hairball comes up. but I said, Okay, do the xray, which I'm thinking this is just gonna be more money wasted because how could he have asthma. well she calls back and they can tell by the xray that he has asthma! I still am in shock because I never hear him wheezing, coughing (other than hairballs), etc. but she said when a kitty has asthma and they have a coughing fit, it can lower his blood pressure and that can cause the fainting. so now we get to give prednisone. so anyways, I wanted to pass this along to you. take care!