Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior dogs

Old March 8th, 2010, 01:18 PM

Older dog constantly drinks water

We have an older chihuahua, he is a rescue dog and when we got him they told us they thought he was around 10 yrs old. We've had him for about 3 yrs now and he's always been drinking water constantly and going to the bathroom in the house, he's also always been super thin and no matter how much food we feed him he doesn't gain weight. We've had him tested and the vet said there's nothing wrong. We keep him in his crate most of the time, and I feel bad for him, but if no one's watching him he'll go on the floor instead of letting us know when he need's out. Is this just psychological, or is there something wrong. Even though he's frustrating it would be hard to put him down.
Old March 8th, 2010, 01:33 PM
-

I think your pupper needs to see Vet for a second opinion and have some additional blood work and urine tests done. It's best to rule out the physical first. Over-drinking and incontinence point to a number of diseases and infections. There are also medications (Propalin for one) which help to strengthen bladder muscles in older dogs.

Last edited by mummummum; March 8th, 2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: more info
Old March 8th, 2010, 02:38 PM

Has he been tested for Cushings Disease?
Old March 8th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

The dooger could also have kidney or urinary problems as well.

Way too soon to talk about putting the dog down at this point....
Needs a doctor first. Please take him to the vet for a second opinion and give us an update.

This is abnormal behaviour.

Don't know what tests your vet has done?
But this dog needs a few tests.
If your vet said your pet is fine and did not do any testing, then imo it's time to change vets.

Good luck!
Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old March 8th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Older dog

Poor guy can't live the rest of his life in a cage, please take him to another vet for a prognosis.
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Eating lots of food and not gaining weight is worrisome. You definitely need a second opinion. There are a number of things that can cause that. Has he been tested for heartworms? I notice you live in oklahoma and in a warm enviroment that's definitely a good possibility.
Has he had his blood sugar tested? That can cause excessive drinking and urination, not to mention weight loss. He is old and this is a good possibility.
He needs a full battery of tests done to determine what the issue was. I don't believe your current vet when he says there is nothing wrong. A dog eating a lot and not gaining weight, especially when not active, points to there being an issue.

I would not keep the poor guy in his crate all the time. This will only make his issues worse since he's not getting mental stimulation and exercise. Senior dogs often have issues with incontinence and crating all the time is not the answer. You may want to try a male dog diaper (it goes around the waist so they can't pee on stuff). That way you can let him out of his crate and he won't soil your floor.
Old March 11th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi

I second the opinion of taking him in for more test. Drinking and pee a lot, plus not gaining weight is a sign of diabetes in people and could be in your dog's case too.

Also, I found out this past Sunday when I got my shih tzu, there is such a thing as pants for dogs. Apparently you put a pad in them so they don't mess in the house.

Good luck with your puppers I hope u find some help.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)

Tags
chihuahua, drinks too much water, old dog