Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old February 4th, 2010, 07:27 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
We kill to eat, just as you kill to eat, Kay9. The difference lies in the life that comes before.

But I agree--we should agree to disagree.
the difference is you kill to eat hazel,, Kay9 doesn't she goes to the grocery store to buy her meat. Just wondering if she's ever seen how any of the animals, chickens included are treated...I don't hunt, never have but personally seems alot more humane than an animal that is being abused then terrified then slaughtered..

If an animal in the wild is killed buy a hunter ( not talking some drunken yahoo with a shotgun) and the hunter takes the carcass home for food i don't have a huge issue with it. I'd rather that than the poor pig that is jammed into a truck with a few hundred others that can't move and driven off to be spiked in the head.
Old February 4th, 2010, 08:03 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
wll around here they dont stop for humans either
True enough. Swerving or slamming on my breaks wouldn't be a good idea however instinctively I would

HP The difference lies in the life that comes before Nice
Old February 4th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
.... how any of the animals, chickens included are treated...I don't hunt, never have but personally seems alot more humane than an animal that is being abused then terrified then slaughtered..
Just wanting to add to that, commercial laying hens are crammed into battery cages, often not even standing room available, nor are they able to spread their wings. Beaks are cut off to prevent cannibalism (a result of their environment). They never see the light of day. In a laying hen factory, male chicks are often killed as they serve no purpose. Broiler chickens are genetically manipulated to have grossly large breasts and thighs where the chicks' feet quickly become deformed and organs are unable to support them. They live a short life of excruciating pain.

Why people selectively choose which animals should/shouldn't be eaten, and the manner in which they are killed ie. hunted vs. factory farmed is based on personal biases and misinformation imo .

To get back on topic, I only once killed a bird that flew into the front of my car on a highway. I can't explain how terrible I felt.
Old February 4th, 2010, 12:58 PM

I agree that if you can stop safely, try to stop, I have been fortunate enough to never hit an animal, I have stopped for a wild turkey, I have also eaten them. I think as long as you eat what you hunt then it is O.k. I do not like animals been killed for no reason.
Old February 4th, 2010, 01:03 PM

A point of clarification: I don't have a "chicken-only" diet because of some misguided belief that chickens are protected from inhumane treatment in farming facilities. I'm well aware of what happens in the ole` chicken factory. I have this type of diet because I can't seem to reconcile my love of, and need to protect sentient beings with my human needs. But that's my own moral dilemma and is neither here nor there.

My position, again, is this: I take umbrage with the PLEASURE which MOTIVATES humans to hunt for SPORT. That's my opinion. If you disagree, I'm ok with that.

Another point of clarification: I also said that I would be unable to form close friendships with those who desire to hunt in this fashion. Also true. But you know what? I doubt hunters would want me to be their best bud either. However, this doesn't mean I hate their guts and that I erase them as human beings (which is maybe what some of you think I meant.) Indeed, in spite of our lack of commonality on these issues, the hunters in my life and I are quite friendly and civil. We just don't date, get married, share our deeply held secrets, or discuss hunting.
Old February 4th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I live out in the country and my daily commute involves highways that go through wooded areas and THANK GOODNESS I have never hit anything because I think it would be some time before I could drive again. Every time I see a dead animal on the side of the road, I shed a little tear for them

My whole drive is keeping an eye out on the side of the road for wee eyes and I use my brights when ever I can, it makes a huge difference in seeing to the side of the road.

I have come very, very close as I do get deer, bunnies, coyotes and fox running out in front of me.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 4th, 2010, 01:27 PM

I have always "braked" for living creatures...Fortunately, I have never hit any.

Although, once I ended up in the ditch after swerving to miss a deer that had leaped out from the bush into the middle of a dark country concession road...
Will be my home.
-Robert N. Service
Old February 4th, 2010, 01:35 PM

I don't eat meat, I'm not a vegan but a vegetarian. I still eat cheese and put milk in things.

Still, I don't see a point in slaughtering something when there is plenty already dead.
Old February 4th, 2010, 03:13 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkycat View Post
I don't eat meat, I'm not a vegan but a vegetarian. I still eat cheese and put milk in things.

Still, I don't see a point in slaughtering something when there is plenty already dead.
This thread is not about whether one agrees with hunting or not......can we stay on topic.
Old February 4th, 2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
This thread is not about whether one agrees with hunting or not......can we stay on topic.
Actually, the original post wasn't about hunting at all; it was about people arbitrarily running over critters.

Stinkycat was merely answering a question asked of her and I earlier.
Old February 4th, 2010, 03:33 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay9 View Post
Actually, the original post wasn't about hunting at all; it was about people arbitrarily running over critters.

I'm fully aware of that.

Stinkycat was merely answering a question asked of her and I earlier.
Yep, Aslan asked the question since one or the other had brought hunting into the thread.
Old February 4th, 2010, 04:32 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Yep, Aslan asked the question since one or the other had brought hunting into the thread.
yup that's exactly why i asked the question,,and i also responded to the original topic too.
Old February 6th, 2010, 08:03 AM
I'm a softy

Last summer we were up at clear lake, an hour north, to enjoy nature, moose, elk, bear, we were in wasagaming and this car comes zooming down the road, there was a sqirrel, and they didnt even slow down. Amazing, there in paradise, where animals are always on the road, (national park) someone could show such little regard...
The squirrel was injured, fatalily, but was hanging on to life, i screamed as i saw him struggling on the road, drew quite a crowd, many didnt think i was crazy, and loved the little guy too..
He was suffering very badly, very badly, he really struggled, we made a makeshift gas chamber with a persons van. As sick as it sounds. . We couldnt watch him suffer in such pain, for probably hours before he would certainly die. It was so heartbreaking, i will never forget it.
I have never hit anything, and i hate when someone does, and keeps going like nothing important happend.

I do disagree with hunting, and also large scale factory farming. I believe if one must eat meat it should be domestic animals created for meat, raised humanely, and organicaly, and killed and prepared with respect. I dont eat meat, my family does, i get all the meat from friends, neighbors, and take it to an abbatoir i trust. I will never buy an egg from the store that is not free run and organic, that is the most cruel industry.
We rescued 3 young commercial hens, they were at a trade show where they had the stackable cages set up to show the public what it is like. We begged for days for some, repeatedly were told no, as they are commercial chickens, geneticly modified, and the public is not allowed to own them. Finally after 6 days the man caved, threw 3 into a box and told us to get out of there fast! There were many left behind.
They lived free, a huge warm house, they made a new nest everyday, and they would all lay their egg in the same place. We let them out loose every a.m. And they would return at night. It was awesome to take them home and watch them spred their wings for the first time!
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old February 6th, 2010, 05:07 PM

I just had to post this; it seems so apropos of what we've been talking about.

Enjoy

http://www.wimp.com/babymoose/
Old February 6th, 2010, 05:21 PM
banned user

Hit and Run

Some people only thing about themselves and their own agenda. However, stuff like that upsets me too. I can't stand when I am crossing the street with my Dog and a driver seems to get closer than further to us.
Old February 6th, 2010, 05:28 PM

This is too cute--it's hard to make out the mama duck and ducklings, but this highway officer is my hero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHgxIDgf5E4