Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 20th, 2004, 11:58 AM

excessive barking...debarking???

Hi everyone!

I want to know if anyone has had their dog debarked in the Toronto suurounding area?? I've been reading posts from the US about people having it done but none in Toronto...is it illegal?

I've put my dog through professional and self training. He just doesn't quit barking when he's left home alone!! I'm pregnant and my baby is due in 8 days from today. We cannot possibly take this dog with us everywhere anymore, and so our last alternative is to give him away if we cannot find a place to have him debarked! We live in a condo townhouse complex with neighbours on either side and so his barking is an annoyance to our neighbours and needs to stop! Before Christmas time we purchased a puppy in attempt of helping his situation, but believe me, NOTHING WORKS!!!

I know many of you think it is inhumane, as do I, but I would rather have this procedure done than give him up. I love him but cannot live my life catering to the needs and wants of this dog.
Old February 20th, 2004, 01:17 PM
banned user

My suggestion is to give the dog to a good home and for you not to gat another dog as they all need lots of work and love
Old February 20th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Senior Contributor

As you found out, getting a puppy in hopes of stopping a bad behavior in the first dog does not work.

I would rather see a dog debarked than dead, but just be aware that the dog will still not be totally silent.

Also, I doubt someone else will want a dog who barks constantly.

What breed is he? Maybe we can offer you some tips!
Old February 20th, 2004, 03:47 PM

barking dog

Although I am not a big fan of these, have you thought about one of those stop barking collars.They give a cirtonella blast when the dog barks. They are available in most pet shops.They ususally learn quickly.

But I prefer behaviour modification. Have you thought of why the dog is barking. Maybe Videotape the dog and see when/why he barks.

Maybe a little bit of talk radio along with a Kong toy will alleviate the boredom that often causes barking.

Good luck

Bohemian
Old February 20th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

There are many behaviour therapists / obedience trainers that can help you with this issue.

Have you ever seen/heard a debarked dog?

It sounds worse then a bark

It sounds like they have strep throat or something horrible.

I completely disagree with this and if you're not willing to work with the dog find someone who will!!
Old February 20th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Senior Contributor

What kind of dog is it?

How long have you had him?

Why cant you take him everywhere anymore?

Cause of the baby?

I still took my German Shepherd everywhere when I had my baby.Pushing a dog a side cause of a baby is not a good thing.You need to still include them.
Old February 20th, 2004, 05:28 PM
banned user

She (lilpregoj) is 8 days away from giving birth. There is no way she is gonna have enough time to help the poor dog.

I really like the collar idea. But does she want that spraying around the baby?

De barking is awful....I'm sorry but it is. It's not a solution...and takes away from what a dog is.

But on the up side I got a few people I would like to detalk lol!
Old February 20th, 2004, 06:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Barking
Old February 20th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Please don't debark him. Maybe try muzzleing him, which would allow him to keep his voice. Muzzling him wouldn't be very nice either, but probably better than debarking.
Old February 20th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Leaving a muzzle on a dog all day would be extremely cruel. How would he drink, or pant?
Old February 21st, 2004, 03:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, leaving it on all day would be cruel. I guess he could pant through the kind I'm thinking about, but I'm not sure about drinking. I guess I didn't read that very well.
Old February 21st, 2004, 05:39 PM
Senior Contributor

i have been told the reason debarked dogs sound so bad afterward is that the remaining skin in the area of the voice box (that is what they remove) actually tickles/irritates the dogs throat. the citronella seems sort of ok, at least it is not electric and citronella wont hurt the dog and i couldnt imagine the baby unless it was sprayed in the kids face, it will also keep mosquitos and other bugs away, sounds like a good thing to try. behaviour therapist- some are not really as expensive as you would think, in australia we have a group called bark busters who are reasonably priced ($100 AU around $60 or $70 US) and give a money back guarentee of success, they will fix any problem your dog may have, so you may be able to find the equivelent there. but you need to find out why the animal barks, i know if my girl can see to much in the street it makes her bark, the less she sees the better it is. training a dog to stop something is very time consuming and frustrating, if your not up for it give the dog away. but PLEASE do not debark the dog, or to put it in the correct terms, PLEASE do not have the dogs voice box surgically removed, would you like it? if none of the above ideas help, the best thing for the dog is to give it a new home, and a different situation may mean that it does not bark all the time. hope you find your solution, if you really want to keep the dog, time and patience will help with this prob, other wise you know what to do. hope it works out
Old February 22nd, 2004, 01:17 PM
Chocolate

muzzleing works but u have to do it immediately. dog will quickly learn barking excessively/louding is a no-no.

but a dog's GOTTA bark... it's their voice.

we TALK, dogs BARK.

we can yell & scream but those aren't typically favourable behaviours in a house. goes double for dogs...

but if you're not feeling the dog out & don't wanna bond with him now that you're getting a "Replacement," maybe it's time to find a better home for that fella.

plz don't take this as an offense. my Honey can still bark with MADNESS in her but when we are home we tend to the situation & redirect her. it's working... be effective if you're going to put effort into it
Old February 22nd, 2004, 02:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Hmmmm,lilprego hasn't been back on.

Maybe she's a Mommy.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 09:34 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Maybe having baby

Muzzles should only be used at 10 minute intervals and used as a teaching tool in this case.

Leaving a dog unattended with a muzzle on can cause a dog to become aggressive and cause injury as well.

Besides they do NOT silence, a dog can sill bark.

Dogs need their mouths to be wide open for panting to cool down and get water and food.

I'm not sure why anyone would use a muzzle for this purpose.