Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Movies - T.V. - Videos

Old May 28th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Feel Good Movies

So I just watched one of my favorite movies of all time. I laugh, I cry, and every single time I just have this amazing feeling when I finish watching this movie -- Mr. Holland's Opus. It's such an amazing movie that makes you realize how much people have an impact on other's lives and how important the arts are to the lives of our children. Just love this movie.

Any other feel good movies out there?
Old May 29th, 2006, 12:10 AM

Million Dollar Hotel... It's a really, really weird movie, but basically as the guy is committing suicide, he realizes that he has everything he ever wanted. It's one of those movies that makes you cry but makes you appreciate things more. But it's really, really weird.

I also like The Family Man with Nic Cage and the Family Stone (just came out on DVD). Both are set around Christmas and sort of show the value of family...
Old May 29th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

My all time favorites are ( in no particular order ) - Gone with the wind
-Forrest Gump
- Ghost
They are my feel good/rainy day picks!
Followed by
-Dirty Dancing
-Sweet Home Alabama
-The Man!!
Old May 29th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Oh Dear, and how could I ever forget RAIN MAN!!! I love that movie!!!
Old May 29th, 2006, 07:06 AM

Often when the critics say, "Feel good movie of the year," I'm left very dissapointed. But, when I watched Big Fish, I actually felt good after watching it, movies generally don't do that for me, that's my pick, Big Fish.
Old May 29th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Sweet Home Alabama and Raising Helen ! I love Reese Witherspoon, she's darling in Sweet Hom Alabama, and it's just so much fun. Poor thing though, having to choose between TWO rich, handsome and charming men who adore her. And in Raising Helen the scene where Joan Cusack tears into the niece and her boyfreind in the motel room. The girl is crying "You ruined my life." And Joan Cusack yells "Well we'll fix it later !" I love that !

And "As Good AS It Gets". Helen Hunt, Jack Nicholson, and Greg Kinnear. What could be better? Masters at work ! And Cuba Gooding is always fun to watch. Loved him in Jerry Maguire. Another feel good movie.

To Kill a Mockingbird. The scene where the black preacher tells Scout "Stand up Miss Jean Louise, your father's passing." Brings tears to my eyes every time. And Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch !
Old May 29th, 2006, 10:17 AM

I love the oldies. There's nothing like "Singing in the Rain" "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" or "Robin Hood" to brighten your day.

"My Life" had me in tears. And I also love "Mr Holland's Opus" such a great movie.

I was crying and watching "Pay it Forward" yesterday and I'd only watched the last ten minutes! My husband had just walked by and I was fine he came back down the hall and I'm bawling. PMS has much to do with it as well.

Spelling is an option
Old May 29th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I'll stray from the main titles and mention a couple of obscure movies I rented the last few weeks . . . .

An Unfinished Life - Robert Redford, Morgan Freeman and Jennifer Lopez. Filmed in southern BC and some in southeastern Alberta . . . . . Lopez isn't much in this movie but the repartee between Redford and Freeman, two grizzled guys, is very good. A man (Redford) blames the death of his son on the boy's widow (Lopez), who now needs to come back into his world after she is beaten by yet another boyfriend. The granddaughter Redford never knew he had, the only link to his dead son, opens the door. . . . Freeman plays a ranchhand who had worked for 40 years for Redford but was mauled by a bear the year before. He's now infirm and Redford is his caregiver. . . . . . overall, nicely done, nicely told and you'll leave feeling good about it.

A link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0350261/

I watched "Off The Map" yesterday with Sam Elliott. Filmed in the expansive spaces of northern New Mexico. A family with a father suffering from acute depression which pretty much lives on no money is getting audited by the Internal Revenue Service. How lives are changed in the journey.

Very good feel good movie to simply let wash over you.

A link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0332285/

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old May 29th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Honest Contributor

ah yes.... feel-good movies... the ones i can watch a hundred times (and i already have, LOL):

-The Black Stallion (1979, Francis Ford Coppola). never fails to take my breath away from start to finish, the cinematography is haunting and timeless.
-A Life Less Ordinary, with Ewan McGregor and Cameron Diaz - totally makes me laugh, sing, spill a tear or two if the mood is right
-Purple Rain!! gettup and dance to the 80's king of sexy! yeah!
-The Abyss, director's edition... need i say more?

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:

Last edited by technodoll; May 29th, 2006 at 02:47 PM.
Old May 29th, 2006, 03:49 PM

Mr Holland's Opus, is that the one about the music teacher?? Big fish and to kill a mocking bird are both such good movies. I love Sweet November(even though Keanu Reeves is a terrible actor, it just makes you want to be a better person, and learn to appreciate the small things in life!
Old May 29th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

I guess I am a traditonalist - love the old favourites like It's a Wonderful Life and love Hayley Mills - she was before my time but perhaps I have an old soul. Love That Darn Cat (DC is a Siamese after all), The Parent Trap, and I even liked Herbie the Love Bug.

I hate to admit this - given my profession - but the first movie I ever bought (as in a VHS and I even have the DVD is Love Story). Not a feel good movie for sure and medically horrible - so few details even in the book - and I am a picky reader (hate stuff not being accuarate but LS is more ommission than commission of info so that's not as bad as movies where events make no sense scientifically, etc.)

I too enjoyed Sweet Home Alabama - cute story. But the movies today are just not up to those oldies. (who can forget The Incredible Journey - tho I think the movie was called Homeward Bound).

I like movies where the underdog wins or overcomes adversity who an injustice is made right like Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird.
Old May 29th, 2006, 06:18 PM
-

Movies I watched a thousand times;Fried green tomatoes,Breakfast club,Pretty in Pink...Natural born killers but that's not a feel good movie!And Steel Magnolias (I'm kind of ashamed to like the last one...)
Old May 29th, 2006, 06:58 PM

Frenchy, i LOVE breakfast club!!!
Old May 29th, 2006, 07:37 PM
-

Oh yes,Judd Nelson was the perfect 80's rebel!I just tought of another ; The Outsiders!!!All the 80's cute/young actors played in that movie.
Old May 29th, 2006, 08:38 PM
The demons' servant

No mention of the Princess Bride? wow....

I loooove that movie! Makes me feel good!

I can watch that movie over and over again!

Megan
Old May 29th, 2006, 09:25 PM

ooo I forgot about As Good as it Gets- that and Something's Gotta Give are pick me up movies.

Also The Sweetest Thing (with Cameron Diaz) and A Guy Thing (with Julia Stiles). Cheezy, but they have their light funny moments.
Old May 29th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Love actually for me, and although the end is sad, My Girl always made me happy to watch.
Old May 29th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Senior Contributor

"A Few More Years", Kirk Douglas' 85th movie, made when he was 85 and after he had suffered a stroke. He plays a man who has suffered a stroke and his son, grandson, and ex-wife are also in it. It's a great, human story that's even greater because you know the issues are so real for the people involved. The actor made me feel good, and the movie too!
Old May 30th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Hunter & Bogart's daddy

Coach Carter
Love Actually was pretty good
Old May 30th, 2006, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbmnec
No mention of the Princess Bride? wow....

I loooove that movie! Makes me feel good!

I can watch that movie over and over again!

Megan

love that movie too, who doesn't want a guy who only says "as you wish?"

Oh wait, I don't, but I still love the movie.
Old June 8th, 2006, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick C
An Unfinished Life - Robert Redford, Morgan Freeman and Jennifer Lopez. Filmed in southern BC and some in southeastern Alberta . . . . . Lopez isn't much in this movie but the repartee between Redford and Freeman, two grizzled guys, is very good. A man (Redford) blames the death of his son on the boy's widow (Lopez), who now needs to come back into his world after she is beaten by yet another boyfriend. The granddaughter Redford never knew he had, the only link to his dead son, opens the door. . . . Freeman plays a ranchhand who had worked for 40 years for Redford but was mauled by a bear the year before. He's now infirm and Redford is his caregiver. . . . . . overall, nicely done, nicely told and you'll leave feeling good about it.

A link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0350261/
ooo I just saw this tonight. Very good movie. I love how everybody in the movie grows and they're all very well developed characters.
And on the DVD, the extra thing about training the bear is great too.
Old June 14th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Senior Contributor

"The World's Fastest Indian" - I watched this Anthony Hopkins movie last night, the true story of an elderly small town New Zealand man with bouts of angina and adoringly clueless about the complexities of the modern world who, in 1967, takes his 1920 Indian motorcycle to Speed Week at the Bonavista Salt Flats in Utah.

And sets a world land speed record of over 200 miles per hour.

His trek to this place is the basic story line and, while looking like Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys with his helmet on, we see the difficulties he has as he tries to have people take him seriously.

I think the ladies would like this movie as well as its a human drama/comedy.

Just hit the video stores this week.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Last edited by Rick C; June 14th, 2006 at 10:40 AM.
Old June 19th, 2006, 03:00 PM

Big Fish is a great pick! Same with Fried Green Tomatoes (one of my all-time favorites) and It's a Wonderful Life (my all time favorite).

I also like:

Sixteen Candles (ending sequence, when she comes out of the church and he's standing there waiting for her!)

Never Been Kissed (end sequence when he runs out and kisses her)

Sleepless In Seattle

Notting Hill

and Roman Holiday

I love so many, it's hard to choose! :love:
Old June 19th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Honest Contributor

Rented "Pay it forwards" last week... wow, it's pretty good stuff! :love:

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old June 19th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm so bad at remembering movies that I liked. I had to think awhile on this. The Notebook was a good one (even my husband liked it), I would have to agree with the above Princess Bride and Big Fish (I watched Princess Bride 1000s of times when I was a kid, my favourite line "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.") Anything with Julie Andrews in it. Mary Poppins, Sound of Music, etc... The most recent feel good movie that I really like Napoleon Dynamite,it's the best and I can't stop quoting from it. "Vote for Pedro!" "My lips hurt real bad", "I caught you a delicious bass", "Girls like guys who have skills", "your mom goes to college" Most hilarious movie ever, with a nice feelgood ending.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old June 29th, 2006, 04:36 PM

I was walking by a theatre the other day and realized I forgot the very best, (because it will be live soon), most awesome feel good movie of all time....GREASE. I must have watched that movie a million possibly closer to a billion times by now. Still love it. :love:
Old June 29th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Cinderella Man was such a heart warmer. I hadn't had any desire to see it when it was in the theatres. It looked depressing and I'm not a huge fan of pugilism, and it just seemed like a real GUY movie.

But my son rented it last week and we all watched it. OMG !!! I loved it ! Even the fight scenes. Or maybe ESPECIALLY the fight scenes.

One of my new favorites.
Old June 30th, 2006, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianneCatherine
Roman Holiday
I just saw that movie like 2 weeks ago, its sooo cute! I love older movies, and Gregory Peck is just SO awesome!
Old July 1st, 2006, 07:54 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

How about Radio? I love that movie!
Old July 2nd, 2006, 12:44 AM
Senior Contributor

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN!!!!!!!!!

I am holding my breath until Friday when the second one comes out!