Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old July 31st, 2017, 05:08 PM

A. Ameloblastoma

I have a 10 yr old staffie rescue mix that recently had a tumor laser removed during an annual teeth cleaning. The dx came back Acanthomatous Ameloblastoma with neoplastic cells invading extensively into the mandibular bone and through out the medullary cavity. It's also noted that the tumor, at the time of surgery has displaced four incisors laterally by the mass. I received these results about a week following the laser removal and teeth cleaning. Within about a month to six weeks, the tumor returned to double it's size. Has anyone gone thru this with a pet and not done surgery? Appreciate your replies? I'm at a total loss and fear that at this point, since the tumor wasn't completely excised at the time of the teeth cleaning that the options are not in our favor. Thanks,
Old July 31st, 2017, 06:13 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We had a similar experience with an oral melanoma in a 12-yr-old dog. It presented as an odd-looking epulis, was removed and the pathology report came back with the bad news. There was no way of knowing if the melanoma had penetrated the jaw without removing parts of the jaw, as well, and we decided not to go the invasive route.

Cole's was smaller than your dog's when it was discovered and removed and we did get about another year. Toward the end, I had to hand feed him and use a syringe to give him water. He felt fine, and with dedication, we were able to keep his weight up with the hand feeding and keep him hydrated with the syringe several times a day, but we knew it was a losing battle.

We opted for quality over quantity and when feeding was getting too difficult and he was having problems swallowing even the water, we helped him cross over rather than watch him waste away. He felt good right to the end, which was a blessing--but it also made it harder to let him go.

I wish I had an example with a better outcome to give you This is a tough one, jsnover, and I'll say a prayer for you and your sweetheart.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 1st, 2017, 10:21 AM

Thanks for your story and kind words. Since the tumor has come back - I already have switched her to soft food, she still eats, goes outside, the tumor will bleed some if she bumps into something - what makes this decision so hard is that she still has energy. But, knowing this will never go away, get better, will only get worse - I am leaning towards quality and don't want to see her suffer. But, know she will be happy romping over that rainbow bridge!
Old August 1st, 2017, 02:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We found that if we mixed wet food and plain yogurt in with his kibble, I could hold a glop of it in the palm of my hand and Cole could scoop it up and gorp it back pretty well. Is your girl having trouble drinking? Took us a while to figure out why Cole seemed so hot all the time--the tumor was keeping his tongue from lapping up water efficiently. So I bought some syringes--feeding syringes used for small baby animals, like kittens or puppies, that needed to be hand fed--and I used them to squeeze water into the back of his mouth so he could swallow it.

The hand feeding and syringes didn't cure anything, but they bought us more time.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 3rd, 2017, 03:20 PM

She has decreased the amount of her food intake a little, doesn't drink as much but still does on her own, still goes outside, doesn't whine. But, she has started to lay around more than she used to, but still has some energy. I have been mixing her kibble with soft food and she still will eat that. The tumor is growing still - I will try the syringe for water as needed. She's not panting alot.
Thanks, I know there is only so much I can do.
Old August 3rd, 2017, 08:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

It's heartbreaking, I know

I also know I don't have to tell you to cherish each moment. You have a little time, yet. Treasure each moment, and make your final decision with love and her best interests at heart. You can't do better than that.