Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 4th, 2009, 06:34 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Tri-acta

I was just reading a thread where one poster warned of the dangers of Metacam. I had been offered it as a pain killer for one of my cats a couple of weeks ago and turned it down.
But it reminded me that my new vet offered me Tri-acta as a holistic pain killer. It is a mixture of glucosamine sulphate, glucosamine hydrochloride, MSM, and chondroitin sulphate. She said it has properties in it that attach themselves to the wall of the bladder and helps ease the pain of a UTI.
I figured it probably won't hurt Meowzer to give him a small amount. It is only a small scoop around 1/4 tsp once a day.
I was just wondering if anyone else had ever heard of that and what your thoughts are on it.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 4th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Live well, laugh often

I have never heard of that but I do recommend using arnica for kitties with pain. It is a homeopathic remedy that has been quite effective with Fred and Lucy. I gave it to Fred after he fell from the second story of our house and Lucy gets is when she has really sore days. I believe that Growler also used it with Duffy after her dental surgery.
Old November 4th, 2009, 06:52 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Thanks Teri! Is that widely available? I just wrote it down and will ask the vet about it next week when I take Meowzer in for a recheck.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 4th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Live well, laugh often

Yep, it is a homeopathic remedy that is available at most health food stores. I buy it from our homeopathic vet as they use the smaller poppy size seed product which works well to dose the pets. You just drop 4-5 pellets onto their gums or tongue and no food or water for 10-15 min before and after. It is also available in larger pellets (common in the health stores) that you can disolve in water and syringe to the animal.
Old November 4th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Live well, laugh often

I should add that it comes in a variety of potencies. I usually use the 200C potency which is sort of mid-range. It is also available as 30C (low dose) and 1M (higher dose).
Old November 4th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Teri I bought some of the Arnica Montana at the Health Section in Fortinos as I had heard it is good relief for pain. Anyway a friend of mine is blind and has MS and I gave him some to try and he loves it!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old November 4th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
But it reminded me that my new vet offered me Tri-acta as a holistic pain killer. It is a mixture of glucosamine sulphate, glucosamine hydrochloride, MSM, and chondroitin sulphate.
Yup, this would be fine for treating bladder/urinary tract issues. The MSM is anti-inflammatory, and the chondroitin helps strengthen the lining of the bladder. Here is the description of how it works for a similar product (Cosequin): http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/Vet/Prod...-for-cats.aspx

Quote:
Some veterinarians also recommend Cosequin to help support urinary bladder health. The inner lining of the bladder wall is protected by a layer, which contains some of the same compounds as are found in cartilage. This layer prevents urine and the waste products contained within it from seeping into and damaging the lining. Since the low molecular weight chondroitin sulfate found in Cosequin is available to more than just cartilage cells, the bladder may use it to help support this protective layer.
I also agree with TeriM about trying some Arnica for pain management. Don't really need to ask the vet about it unless they have some understanding of homeopathic remedies.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler