Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 9th, 2009, 12:36 PM

Dog laws for toronto

Where can I get more info on dog laws for toronto? I find only general laws.

I was just walking my siberian husky and I keep her off everyone's lawn. But she likes to go around smelling stuff. So she started to poop infront of someone's house. Not on their lawn, but passed the sidewalk and on the green area before the road.

Isn't that part municipal properly?

llllllllllllllllll
--------
xxxxxxxx
--------
ggggggg
--------
rrrrrrrrrrr

couldn't come up with a diagram so lol.. the lllll part is their lawn xxxx is sidewalk. ggggg is the green area where she poop'd and rrr is the road.

I picked up her poop right away within the minute, but this lady comes out saying not to have my dog poop there anymore. It's the first time she did it there. She made it sound it's a horrible act. That her kids are going to die because of it.

Pissed me off.
Old May 9th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Molly's mama

sorry can't help you on this one but there are lots of pets.ca members from the GTA who should be able to assist.
Do you walk your dog on a leash? I can't believe that someone would get mad at you, even after you cleaned up the poop!? Maybe lots of other owners don't pick up, and she's taking it out on you?
Old May 9th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Master of the Drool!

I have seen people get mad at dog owners at a park for letting their dog do their business at the park. Even after the owner has picked up. Mybe the lady is tired of dogs in general going to the bathroom on her lawn. and took it out on you and your pooch.
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old May 9th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I also don't know what any law says,but when I walk Bailey(Cocker)I have her on a 15 foot leash and she's always exploring,if there is no fencing,she will go on peoples lawns,but of course I pick it up.
I had a lady come out once,yelling at me to pick up after the dog,but Bailey had just sniffed her bushes for any Pee-Mail
There are still people who do not pick up after their dogs and maybe your lady was just fed up.
At my house,the end part of my drive-way and the grass there is city-property,so pups are free to do their thing
Old May 9th, 2009, 04:39 PM
-

if you call Toronto Animal Services they will know the by-laws. As far as I know when your pup poops and you scoop, no by-law is broken.
Old May 10th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi
When I grew up in Toronto, the bolevard was the City's even though my parents still had to cut the grass there.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old May 10th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Senior Contributor

I think you are referring to a Boulevard - if so it is City property. I had the same issue last year. The guy who lived in the closest house came out and told me not to let my dog do his business on "his" property (which by the way was full of weeds and not cut). And I always pick up after my dog, unlike many others in our neighbourhood - and he knows this as I have baggies up the wazoo. So I apologized to him (not meaning it) and told him that it was my belief that the Boulevard belonged to the City - not to him, but that as soon as I got home I would call to confirm - and that I had noted his address and would specifically question the Boulevard in front of his house. That shut him up - and then a City truck came by - we live across from a dreaded NOT OFF LEASH park where people let their dogs run loose and do not pick up and said dogs try to come after my hot little boy toy as he passes by on leash - so they are always about - so I asked the driver - and he said City property - this guy has seen me with my baggies and my dog is very well looked after and always on leash so for once someone gave me a "dog" break. If you look at the City "do's and don't's" for placement of Garbage and Recycle bins they very clearly show pictures of Boulevards and clearly show that people with Boulevards are NOT! to put their containers on the Boulevard, but in their own laneways. Obviously no one listens. Unfortunately our pick-up day was changed 2 years ago from Tues. to Thurs. and Thurs. is my day out so as I do not have a Boulevard and I obey the law (which gets me nowhere) I have to move the bins from the laneway to the sidewalk, pull out the car, almost get the car creamed while I move the bins back, then on my return have to circle the block and park illegaly so that I can get back into my laneway. Unfortunately, I live second house from a very bad, wide corner so it is not easy. So I pretty much have this issued covered. Don't let the woman get to you.
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

We don't have sidewalks, so it's harder to figure out, since many here have garden right to the road.
The city worker here in Oshawa told us that were the water main shut off is (that steel round thingy ) is where the homeowners property ends, and after that it's city property.
Even if it is their property, as long as you pick it up, there is nothing they can do about it.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old May 11th, 2009, 09:29 PM

Thanks a bunch for the info, it was really helpful.