Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 14th, 2006, 02:44 PM

Question Help, my 11 month old kitten is a pig!

About four months ago I adopted the kitten I was fostering from the rescue I am involved with. I have had cats, dogs and horses all my life, but have never owned an animal, especially a little kitten, that eats so much. Now, that said my 19 year old cat was diagnosed with a thyroid condition over a year ago now, which caught my attention by an increase in her appetite, lose of fur and dramatic lose of weight.
My kitten is healthy and happy as far as I can tell - should I be worried?
I feed her SD oral care (she was on the SD light but would almost choke on the kibble as she hoovered it down it is so small), and she gets soft - a mixture of fancy feast (I know, garbage) mixed with Wellness or Chicken soup
Do you think she is just a piglet?
Old February 14th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Don't worry about it. Many ex-stray cats are obsessed with food, since they aren't sure there will ever be any more!

When she's a little older and more confident of her food supply, it may ease off - or it may not!

And Fancy Feast is not garbage. What you're feeding her is just fine!
Old February 14th, 2006, 09:26 PM

My wife rescued our cat Elvis when he was a few months old. She said when she got him he ate for 30 minutes straight. She said he was skinny too but not anymore. Actually he seems to have alot of excess skin as opposed to fat. It hangs off him like a dress. He's now 8 and still has a very strong interest in food, quite often eating so fast he vomits it back up.
Old February 15th, 2006, 09:12 AM

Thumbs up

Thank you so much for your replies, I feel much better.
You know she actually jumps into my fridge, and sits on the shelf just below where I keep her food, ever hopeful........................
Without a word of a lie, she went missing one day and I looked in the fridge to see if I had accidently closed the door on her
Old February 15th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Senior Contributor

The first week Tess arrived she stole ground beef right off the counter and stored it in my bedroom.....leaving a trail behind
She doesn't do that anymore thank goodness. She realized that she will always have her share of food and more
Old February 16th, 2006, 01:26 PM

We just adopted a little black cat between 6 and 12 months old. He eats ravenously, then heads over to our other cats bowl to help finish her food off. We've even tried overfilling his bowl but he just keeps going. We can only hope that he grows out of it.