Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 5th, 2006, 10:29 PM

Question my 7 yrs old cat is sneezing

hi my seven yr old cat has began to sneeze, about 4 weeks ago, she was caught up in a cat trap,,, yes she is fixed and we have been living here over 15 yrs and we live in the country,,, my neighbors are allergic to cats and been having trouble with stray who are breeding alot,anyway she was sent to the pound,, the first night she did not come home I went right there and we found her.. we had her micro chip so I will never have to go thru again,, but,,, when she came home i notice she has began to sneeze,, I have not let her out of the house over 4 weeks now to her dismay,,she looks well. is eating and all but sneezes no discharge and no runny eyes and no pus,, just sneezing,, my husband won;t take her in cos she is looking so good but I am worried she pick something up from her short stay at the pokie, they did give her a distemper shot too.am I being over protective? or is she getting a serious cold? thank you
Old February 7th, 2006, 09:08 AM

if its been over 4 weeks and she's still sneezing I would definitely take her to see the vet. My cats are all indoor cats and every time I've brought a new cat home from a shelter they all ended up sneezing and getting upper resphiratory disease. While some of them have showed severe symptoms, others havent. My cats will go through periods where they sneeze, but it never lasts as long as 4 weeks.

It certainly cannot hurt to take your cat to see the vet just to make sure. That's certainly what I would do.
Old February 8th, 2006, 03:58 PM

Is it constant sneezing? Our resident cat has sneezed a few times since we brought a new one home from the shelter, but not very often.
Old February 8th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Senior Contributor

I have yet to see a cat leave a pound without a cold. Check to see if she has any dischagre from eyes, nose. If its clear-wipe, if not, she may have an infection.Call the vet.