Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 28th, 2003, 10:45 PM

kittens with infected eyes

I have had a feral cat has brought two kittens into my yard. Both have eyes that are almost glued together with what I think is pus. I can handle the kittens but the mother is another matter. Any suggestions on home treatment appreciated.
Old May 29th, 2003, 11:19 AM

Hi
IM sorry but I found your post abit confusing.
You say you can handle the kittens. Does that mean you are able to care for their eyes and their mother will let you touch them.
You say the mother cat is a different story ,I dont know what you mean by that. Is it that her eyes are alot worse or that she wont let you touch her . Maybe if you could make your post more clear someone could help you.
Please dont be upset with me its just I am not sure exactly what you are asking.
Old May 29th, 2003, 11:26 AM

Oops I forgot to mention treatment.
My dog got anothers dog toenail in the corner of her eye once during a spat when a friend brought their dog into our home. it went near my dogs food. I put a stop to animal visitors after that Anyways, it use to get infected and run with pus . I used polysporin especially made for eyes. It would clear it right up. But I never did run that treatment by my vet. I would always try and wash her eye out first with just a warm wet cloth. Then i would put a dab on ointment on my finer and gob it in the corner and try and wipe it inside under the lid.
I hope someone else can help you as this was my own personal treatment and not sure if the vet would have agreed with it.
Old May 29th, 2003, 01:55 PM

kittens with infected eyes

I guess I should have been a little clearer explaining my situation. The mother cat does not have any problems with her eyes , but she doesn't like to be handled or picked up at all. The kittens are easier to handle and I can actually hold them when I have to treat their eyes. Any advice appreciated
Old May 29th, 2003, 09:37 PM

My most recent stray of two weeks isnt too fond of being picked up . Depends on her mood when I do if she stays or not. If I can rub teh right spot she likes she will stay and fall asleep but if not she watns down. I have read that it takes along tiem for some cats to feel comfortable with people. My only advice is not sto rush she will come to you when you dont expect it. This cat I now have will jump up on my lap the odd time when i dotn expect it. Time is all the cat may need, dont rush her .ok.
Old June 2nd, 2003, 08:32 AM

Smile

I tried the polysporin eye drops and their eyes have begun to clear up. Their eyes still are weeping a bit but the eyes are open. I've just been using one drop per eye per day. Thaks for the suggestion!