Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 23rd, 2003, 09:29 AM

Question New Kittens

Bonjour

I was wondering. I presently own 2 young males cats about 1 year old each. Last March I picked up another stray cat, female, and low and behold she was pregnant. Now the point is that she gave birth to 3 kittens on May 20th. The first one that was born passed away last evening from what seemed natural occurence (no vomiting, blood etc. ) I still have 2 left and they seem ok.
Now the 2 males cats insist on jumping inside the enclosure where the mother and kittens are. They are not hurting them, simply sitting there watching all the commotion. The mother cat does not seem to care that they are there, or for that fact it does not seem to bother her. I think the male cats are just curious....but I am wondering, could I be wrong.
I know that the first kitten did not die because of the other 2 males cats. Like I said not broken bones, blood etc. Is there anything I should be doing... or should I let this be.
This is the first litter for the mother cat, and when the babies are sleeping she wakes away and leaves them, is this normal also. I have put food and milk in her enclosure, so that she would stay there. As a matter of fact I have put her back in more then once !!

I would appreciate an answer, really did not like loosing the first kitten...

Anxious mother !!!

Lenora
Old May 24th, 2003, 02:35 PM
Cat Lover Member

Cats are very curious creatures. I wouldn't worry about the male cats watching over the young ones, as long as the mother doesn't mind and they are not being aggresive towards the kittens, it should be fine. They'll get bored of it evenually.

As for momma cat, do not force her to stay with the kittens. Mothers do need the break from the young ones once in awhile. Since she only leaves them when they are sleeping, she knows that they will be ok until she returns again. If they are in distress while she is gone, she will hear it and come back, it should be an instinct for her to do so. If she doesn't go back at all, for huge amounts of time then you should interfere.

I think the kitten that died was from natural causes, sometimes some of them just don't make it. It's sad but it happens a lot.
Old May 28th, 2003, 01:04 AM

Wink Jocelyn.. re: new Kittens.. tks

Bonjour

Just wanted to say tks for the answer. Its been a little weird..I had five cats. Before the litter was born, my Hymalian died on saturday. Then the litter came in on Thuesday... and then the number one passes on Wednesday !

Basicly I now have one more cat.. that is 6 cats. I have 2 young males.. about 10 to 14 months old. The younger one... Merlin.. total black, has taken to sleep with the new mother, and takes care of the 2 new ones when she is "out" in the house...He even washes her all over when he is in with the kittens..

I have had a lots of cats.. but that is a new one.... She seems very happy and at ease with the arrangment...
Seems like we will keep the 2 new ones as part of the house.. but obviously I have to get the mother fixed... and soon......

Thanks

Lenora
Old May 28th, 2003, 01:21 AM

Wink Jocelyn... again .. new kittens

Bonjour..

Just wanted to say that the kitten we lost was burried in our back yard with our other animals.

Anouk 22 years old cat ( Mut )

Bandit 11 years old dog ( Sheep Dog )

Gizmo 10 years old cat ( Hymalian )

Number one 2 days old cat ( Mut )

Some friends are making remarks about our "pet cemetery"... (no punn)...

In time of stress I go there, sit, and ask...there has always been peace...

Lenora