Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 10th, 2005, 02:27 PM

Behavior change in cat improved with pheramones

Hi, asking about our cat this time. A few months ago she had the extreme behavior change - took her to the vet, the only thing they could find in her bloodwork was her white blood cells were extremely low. Put her on antibiotics and was supposed to see an improvement in her behavior within a few days. Almost no improvement the entire week. (Scared of the lights/fans on ceilings, hiding in the closet, under the bed). They said her bloodwork had improved and told me to try feliaway, which made drastic improvements. I had to spray this a few times a day or she would revert back to hiding under the bed. I slowly started to reduce the amount of spraying, down to once a day. Then I found another product at the pet store that is also a pheramone but twice as much for half the price. She actually responded better to this one and I would get an almost immediate reaction/behavior change when it was sprayed. I have slowly been reducing the amount of spray with this as well, down to every other day, then every three days, etc. She has been doing very well for the past month, playing even more than her usual timid self and has gone back to her cat tree again. She hadn't been under the bed in at least two weeks. Yesterday I again found her under the bed. I only had a little pheramone left and I think it had been at least 4 days since I sprayed it last. Sprayed what I could and she was out and about a little while later. She seems to almost have a reaction to it like catnip.

I asked the vet about this today and they couldn't really give me any answers but that basically I would probably have to continue spraying this the rest of her life. That's not a problem (unless they stop making the stuff) but I would really like to know why. Is there something that is not working/functioning properly? Is she not making the right hormones or pheramones anymore?

Sorry this is so long. Thanks for any advice.
Old November 11th, 2005, 10:07 PM

What is the new pheremone product that you tried? Our cat is a bit shy, and we're moving soon, so I'd like to try something, and Feliway seems a bit pricey.

Thanks.
Old November 11th, 2005, 11:02 PM

It's called At Ease Natural Herbal Calming Spray made by NaturVet. Says it contains simulated feline pheromones. An 8 oz. bottle (twice the size of feliaway) is about $15 (compared to $30) at our Petsmart. Not sure how far the Petsmart chain extends. You may be able to find it on the internet someplace like at drfosterandsmith.com.

Good luck.