Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 27th, 2001, 11:37 PM

Question pet legislation in condominim,Thornhill,ont Canada

I recently rented a condo and they state no pets allowed with declarations etc. ... I have a dog and want her to come with me. In the rule book it states no owner shall I'm not the owner, I'm the renter. So if anybody can direct me to the proper action I can take. I'm willing to fight this all the way. Thanks
Old June 28th, 2001, 09:27 AM

Hi, I had the same problem as you, except with an apartment.

They said I had to, and they made me get rid of my dog I had at the time. I was very angry later on when I found out that there was no reason at all for them to have made me get rid of him. There were not allowed to do so. I called the ORHT and they told me that the only way that they could make me get rid of him was if: he was barking a lot, I wasn't cleaning up after him, he was vicious or a potential threat to others, or if he was ruining the enjoyment of someone else's life. None of those EVER occurred with me and my dog. I NEVER received any complaints from anyone about him. The dumbest thing is, where I live, you're not allowed to actually own a dog, but you can "take care of one". It makes no sense to me!

My best suggestion to you is to call the Ontario Rental Housing Tribunal at: 1-888-332-3234.
They'll give you the information you need to know.

~~

Old June 28th, 2001, 10:01 AM

pet law in condos

I already did that its different laws in condos,i spoke with different people at tribunal half say one thing and half say another thing.I also spoke with a couple of lawyers same thing.
Old June 28th, 2001, 10:30 AM

Melissa,

I'm not a lawyer but I do read a lot of legal books and case studies. First off you should seek legal advice.

That said....I'm afraid it was up to you to read the rules BEFORE you rented. I don't think you have any recourse in this matter. if the people in charge are rotten and really want you out....i'm afraid they can kick you out....and your only recourse would be an expensive lawsuit which in my opinion you would lose.

sorry to be the 'bad' messenger.

good luck,

binky6